Family.....(semi rant)

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I found out today without going into to many details, that my mom attempted to get me fired and thrown into jail today. Yeah, my mother is like that. She wonders why i don't want anything to do with her! A few years ago she tried to get my niece taken away from my sister by contacting Child Protective Services (CPS). The person that came from CPS basically took 1 look at my niece and laughed at the accusations. Thank god I am on anti-depressants or I don't think i would be able to take this!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh hon, I'm so sorry you are going through this! Many
for you. I can't understand why family treats other family members this way...so I have no advice for you. My main question is WHY? Just know I'm thinking about you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you. Thankfully, my mom and her husband are the only ones like this (she remarried after my dad and she divorced). My sister is so disgusted by her at this point that it sounds like she will no longer be speaking to her. My sis started talking to her again a couple of years ago because she didn't want her kids to have a missing Grandma.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by pipersjo

My sis started talking to her again a couple of years ago because she didn't want her kids to have a missing Grandma.
You know, people tend to do this - stay in contact with family because they feel obligated to have these connections. But I think you have to ask yourself honestly, "what's better for me?" It sounds to me like both you and your sister would be better off without your mother in your lives, and those children could do without such a negative force for a grandmother. She sounds like a very destructive person who only causes problems for the people she's supposed to care about.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

You know, people tend to do this - stay in contact with family because they feel obligated to have these connections. But I think you have to ask yourself honestly, "what's better for me?" It sounds to me like both you and your sister would be better off without your mother in your lives, and those children could do without such a negative force for a grandmother. She sounds like a very destructive person who only causes problems for the people she's supposed to care about.
I have to agree with this perspective. I can understand why people want to maintain a relationship for the sake of the family etc etc. But sometimes it isn't worth the hassles, and frustration involved. And as for the grandkids, it most likely would do more harm having such a influence as this type of grandma in their lives then not having contact with here.

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tierre0

I have to agree with this perspective. I can understand why people want to maintain a relationship for the sake of the family etc etc. But sometimes it isn't worth the hassles, and frustration involved. And as for the grandkids, it most likely would do more harm having such a influence as this type of grandma in their lives then not having contact with here.
I agree with both of you. I don't think there is anything wrong with cutting an unhealthy relationship out of your life. It's hard sometimes, but necessary. I haven't spoken to my mother in two years on May 22. It's hard sometimes, really hard, but I've been a lot happier.

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Its bad when your own mother does horible things to you. I know how you feel. My mom wasn't the best, and still isn't. She's kicked me out so many times I can't count them.. And this started when I was only in 7th grade! The only reason I still talk to her at all is because of my 5 year old brother, I still want to see him. If he wasn't around I wouldn't talk to her at all. I have my dads ex wife and my bf's mom, so I don't really need her, but I want to have a relationship wit my little bro.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KiTTYL0VE4

Its bad when your own mother does horible things to you. I know how you feel. My mom wasn't the best, and still isn't. She's kicked me out so many times I can't count them.. And this started when I was only in 7th grade! The only reason I still talk to her at all is because of my 5 year old brother, I still want to see him. If he wasn't around I wouldn't talk to her at all. I have my dads ex wife and my bf's mom, so I don't really need her, but I want to have a relationship wit my little bro.
That is the only reason I was still having anything to do with her-- my little brother. Her husband and her must have been telling him stuff about me though because he was VERY reserved when I spoke to him. I am just going to have to completely sever ties now. Hate to do that to my brother but obviously, that's what my mom is trying to force here. I told my sister pretty much what you guys have said here when all of this happened years ago, but she wanted to stay in contact with her. IDK why anyone would want to though!