Any southern cooks? (fishy/seafood recipe?)

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I bought a big bag of a paella mix (shrimp, squid, octopus, mussels and fish) frozen because it was super cheap and I'd like to make some sort of authentic southern dish with it but I dont even know what recipe I should look up to get ideas. Does anyone have any recipes or suggestions?

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first thought isn't southern, but French. Something like bouillabaise. (French seafood stew)

Another choice would be seafood gumbo. (Southern)

Another one- not southern either is Cioppino - Italian seafood stew.

ETA: Here is the other thing I couldn't think of also Cajun/ New Orleans and that is etouffee (which I believe means stew).

Seafood Creole
Jambalaya ( made with sausage chicken and shrimp, but I guess you could do all seafood and spicy sausage.)

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, paella is actually a Spanish dish, not that you couldn't make a southern gumbo or stew with what you have.........

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I know paella is spanish and I might end up just following the recipe on the bag. But I was thinking something southern/creole like would be soo yummy! I'd love to try something with okra, I've never cooked anything like that before.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you ever eaten okra before? As far as I am concerned, it is an acquired taste.

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is a recipe for seafood gumbo

Roux (see recipe below)
1 pound okra, sliced
2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
3 tablespoons butter
1 onion, chopped
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 jar oysters (check for shells)
2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
1 tablespoon chopped green bell pepper
1 can (10 1/2 ounces ) tomatoes
2 sprigs parsley, chopped
1 bay leaf (remove before serving)
2 seasoning salt
2 quarts water or fish stock
1 bunch green onion, chopped
1/2 pound crabmeat or 1 dozen crabs
Salt and pepper
Hot cooked long-grain white rice
Crackers

If using whole crabs, scald live hard-shelled crabs and clean, removing the spongy substance and the "sand bag" on the under part. Break off and crack the claws and cut the body in half.

Start making the Roux. In a large frying pan:, fry okra in 2 tablespoons shortening approximately 30 to 40 minutes or until it ceases to "rope" (slimy strings connecting the okra); remove from heat and set aside. NOTE: Take your time and don't burn it. It's worth the trouble.

In a Gumbo Pot or a large cast-iron Dutch Oven over medium-high heat, melt the butter and fry the onions and celery about 5 minutes or until soft. Add the shrimp, oysters, garlic, and bell pepper; simmer 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, parsley, bay leaf, Cavender's Seasoning, water or fish stock, green onion, fried okra, prepared Roux, and crabmeat or crabs. Salt and pepper to taste. Let gumbo simmer for approximately 30 minutes.

Serve with hot rice, crackers, and file on the side.

Makes 6 servings.

Roux:
2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

In a heavy iron skillet over medium heat, heat shortening until hot; add flour gradually, stirring or whisking to combine. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring frequently, about 45 to 60 minutes or until roux is dark brown and has a nutlike odor (it will be very thick and pasty).

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Have you ever eaten okra before? As far as I am concerned, it is an acquired taste.
lol, I have had okra before, but only fried I think. And I did like it then.

Thanks for the recipe! I found a paella recipe that looked really good but I'm way too cheap to spend a small fortune on the saffron that is required to make it.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes - that is a problem with Paella - saffron is quite expensive. These other choices are basically tomato based and less costly to make. Good luck and let us know how your dish turns out.

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

I don't have any receipes, just let me know what time to come over for dinner!
lol, alright I'll let ya know but if you're late I'm not waiting

I think I'm going to try an Emeril recipe. Probably a gumbo. It'll probably be a few days before I make it but I'll let ya'll know how it turns out!

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

My first thought isn't southern, but French. Something like bouillabaise. (French seafood stew)

Another choice would be seafood gumbo. (Southern)

Another one- not southern either is Cioppino - Italian seafood stew.

ETA: Here is the other thing I couldn't think of also Cajun/ New Orleans and that is etouffee (which I believe means stew).

Seafood Creole
Jambalaya ( made with sausage chicken and shrimp, but I guess you could do all seafood and spicy sausage.)
You are right about the etoufee, it is a stew, it is a red tomato stew. My husband usually uses crawfish when he makes his. I have never made a gumbo though with some of the stuff that she has mentioned. I have never cooked squid, octopus, or mussels, so I don't know if that would be good in a gumbo or not.