Excel help, please.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm having a bit of trouble coming up with the right formula to use here. I hope this is easy to follow.

In cell A3 of my worksheet I used the TODAY function for the date (as instructed).

In cell A5 I had to key a formula that adds 1 day to the date in cell A# (which is today's actual date). I used the formula =today()+1; which gave me May 16, 2009.

Next, I need to use a formula in cell A6 that adds one day to the date in cell A5, then copy this formula down to row 25. This is where I'm getting stuck...I think.

I end up with the same date that is in cell A5 all of the way down to row 25. I checked help but I'm having a lot of trouble finding the proper way to do this.

I hope this makes sense, any guidance would be appreciated.

plainjane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Shouldn't you use the formula and substitute A5 for the rest of the following dates, i.e. A6+1 to equal A7? You'll have to either enter the new numerical for each row or add more to A5, i.e. +2 +3 and so on.

Is that what you meant?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks!

In A3 I entered the current date using: =today()
In A5 I entered the date using: =today()+1
IN A6 I entered:=A5+1 Then copied the formula down to row 25.

Appreciate the help!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Essayons89

Thanks!

In A3 I entered the current date using: =today()
In A5 I entered the date using: =today()+1
IN A6 I entered:=A5+1 Then copied the formula down to row 25.

Appreciate the help!
What does the cell say in A25? My bet it would be A24+1. When you copy formulas, it copies the relative location of the cell unless you put a $ in front of either the letter or number. If you want the day after tomorrow' date in A25, type in =A6+1.

If this doesn't make any sense, then I didn't follow your issue.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

What does the cell say in A25? My bet it would be A24+1. When you copy formulas, it copies the relative location of the cell unless you put a $ in front of either the letter or number. If you want the day after tomorrow' date in A25, type in =A6+1.

If this doesn't make any sense, then I didn't follow your issue.
Yup, the cell in A25 says A24+1.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

And if there is nothing in cell A24, then it will skew your results for cell A25.
A24 is A23+1. There is something in all of the cells from A5 to A25.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

A24 is A23+1. There is something in all of the cells from A5 to A25.
So it sounds like you copied A6 down every cell until A25? Or somehow Excel thought you wanted to repeat this and formatted it for you? Excel does some strange things sometimes on your behalf that you may not like. If you don't want anything in the cells from A7 to A24, highlight them, and do an Edit, Clear, All for those cells.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is currently in the cells is what I was looking for. From cell A5 through A25 the date needed to be increased by one day starting with May 16, 2009 (A5). A6 is May 17, 2009; A7 is May 18, 2009; A8 is May 19, 2009; and so on to A25. I'd take a screen shot and post it if I knew how.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK, I just went into Excel and tried this for myself. I put =TODAY()+1 into A5, then put =A5+1 into A6. I then copied A6 down 30 rows and the dates went up by 1. Sorry but I didn't follow your original question - I thought you were trying to skip all the rows in between A6 and A25.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise

I'd take a screen shot and post it if I knew how.
If you're (back to?) using Firefox, get yourself the Screengrab! add-on. Then you just save the shot to your PC, upload it at an image-hosting site like Photobucket (which offers free accounts), and voilÃ:censor:.

Otherwise, you can follow these instructions:
How to Take a Screenshot in Microsoft Windows

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you don't want the date to change every time you open the file in the future, instead of using the TODAY feature, type in the date and format it the way you want it. You can still use whatever formula you want to get +1 day.

Laurie