Litter box

kylie77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 9 week old kitten and just bought one of those regualr cat litter boxes. But the smell is bad and I change it every other day. I was looking at all kinds of other boxes. Could anyone recommend a good one before I spend the money.

i was looki g at the omega paw self cleaning box or the tidy cat breeze. I also saw the dome clean step, it looked cool but not sure if it helps with smell.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Use a scooping litter, and scoop it twice a day. That should take care of most of the smell.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't live without my scoopable litter! I use fresh step the unscented one. I clean it everyday.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Consider also that the new kitty's tummy is probably adjusting to new food and has been stressed, plus the kitten is very little and may still be adjusting to not getting milk...

That can lead to stinky poo!

Also, diet can help or enhance the smell, what is kitty eating?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kylie77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
he eats everything. I feed him his food, but he mooches off from the kids in the house and eats everything from chicken nuggets, spaghetti, cookies, turkey sandwiches.
I try and put him away until they are done eating their meals, but the kids snack and the cat is all over the kids and they feed him everything they are eating.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Rather than change litter boxes you should try different litter in the one you have. Clumping litter will control odor better than most non-clumping, and some clumping litters are definitely better than others. You'll find people have different preferences, just keep trying until you find one that works for you. I'm currently using the Walmart Special Kitty litter in the green box. It's the best combination for me for least dust, least tracking, and good odor control. If one of the cats starts having stinky poos, I sometimes add a little baking soda to the litter. Also scoop at least once a day. With clumping litter you shouldn't have to change it out as often, just add more when it gets low.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any house that has pets and kids needs to have a lot of communication. I think its time you sat down with the kids and talked about the responsibility of a pet, how people food like that isn't safe for cats etc. Ultimately though you as the parent have to be the responsible one and be held accountable. If they are leaving food out, what little toys are they leaving out the could be eaten and cause problems?

Leslie

calismom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Im going to play devils advocate here, In a household with kids you can't always control what people food the kitten will eat, Its part of a cat being a pet. I do have to say a whole bunch of people food is not good, but it seems like your doing the right thing by putting him up for meal times. As for the small toys if her kids can choke on it Im sure its not around the house (depending on the age of child) most toys now are made without chokeable parts no matter the age. For the litter I use tidy cats multiple cats even for one cat it seems like it has better odor control and I clean it every other day.

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calismom

For the litter I use tidy cats multiple cats even for one cat it seems like it has better odor control and I clean it every other day.
Would you like it if your toilet was just flushed every OTHER day? It should be cleaned at least once a day!

kylie77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by MyBabies

Would you like it if your toilet was just flushed every OTHER day? It should be cleaned at least once a day!

I remember my parents cats, they had 3 and were all outdoors cats. They all pooped in the flower garden to my parents dismay. There was a 3x2 area where they pooped and pooped. Nobody was there to change the soil in their toilet area. Was disgusting and reeked, my dad had to clear out the dirt at one point and add fresh.

They did have an indoor box for them, but hardly ever touched it. lol

calismom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
no but it doesnt cost 4.00 dollars a bag to flush my toilet. To each their own.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
REgardless of how often you scoop you'll use the same amount of litter infact the less often you may use more. I know if I somehow miss a day it seems that I end up with a lot dirtier box than two days worth if that makes sense.

Leslie

calismom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok This was not meant to be a my litterbox is cleaner then yours contest, I told her what litter I use and how often I DUMP it I don't know if thats what this is about. I don't scoop my litter I put clean litter in it on monday morning and dump it wednesday morning. They always have fresh litter and its never dirty. I don't know what the big deal is. It seems like posters are acting like I let them live in scum. I used to clean it out every day until I noticed I was throwing away a whole bin of clean litter with very little in it.And when I can barely afford gas to put in my car that extra day is saving me money. This is all besides the point. This was not what this post is about. I gave her my advice and did not expect to be chastised for my supposed lack of litter hygiene. Im done on here now.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by calismom

Ok This was not meant to be a my litterbox is cleaner then yours contest, I told her what litter I use and how often I DUMP it I don't know if thats what this is about. I don't scoop my litter I put clean litter in it on monday morning and dump it wednesday morning. They always have fresh litter and its never dirty. I don't know what the big deal is. It seems like posters are acting like I let them live in scum. I used to clean it out every day until I noticed I was throwing away a whole bin of clean litter with very little in it.And when I can barely afford gas to put in my car that extra day is saving me money. This is all besides the point. This was not what this post is about. I gave her my advice and did not expect to be chastised for my supposed lack of litter hygiene. Im done on here now.
With clumping litter you don't actually have to change it so often. I have 4 boxes for 5 cats and scoop once a day. I add fresh litter when the level gets too low, but only change out the litter completely every 4-6 weeks. With non-clumping litter, which I used when I had new kittens, I changed it about every 3-4 days because of the smell.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Things are getting a bit too personal here. Please let's get back on topic.

~*regina*~

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kylie77

I have a 9 week old kitten and just bought one of those regualr cat litter boxes. But the smell is bad and I change it every other day. I was looking at all kinds of other boxes. Could anyone recommend a good one before I spend the money.

i was looki g at the omega paw self cleaning box or the tidy cat breeze. I also saw the dome clean step, it looked cool but not sure if it helps with smell.
When I first got my cat I used a non covered litterbox. I could always tell when she went to the bathroom. I think after a month I bought a covered litterbox with the charcoal on the top. It works so well for keeping the smell in. I also use the clumping litter, it seems to help.
Good Luck

kylie77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I taught my cat to go in the toilet or actualy he kind of taught himself.. I love this cat, he is so smart!

I do keep a litter box out for him still in the guest bathroom, but now we keep the toilet lid up and he does use the toilet. Pretty cool! I am hoping this continues.

badkelpie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had this problem when I got Fin. Man, he stunk, the box stunk, it was bad. I just used a non clumping scented clay litter (because I found him and was expecting to find his home). Then I remembered you can use chicken feed as cat litter. It smells good (like grape nuts), and clumps. I filled up a decent sized rubbermaid with about 6 - 8 inches (poored too much). I scoop it, but I have yet to replace the original litter. That was almost a month ago, but the litter is still fresh. Seems the big bag of chicken feed will last me 3 months or more. It was $11. And Fin smells nice, not like cat litter.

lil annie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been using swheat scoop natural wheat litter and I find that it keeps the smell to a minimum and does not have a lot of dust with it. Marigold seems to like it more.