Rant about people...

breellablue

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, in the past 5 months we have had ONE family surrender 12 cats, which became 23 when two of them gave birth... Last night Dave's mother and I went out to dinner after Bingo. Who do we run into? Most of the family. They had been calling us since we took the group of 9 two weeks ago but because Dave's mom had a feeling that the purpose of the call was to say that they wanted the kittens back, so we didn't return the call immediately. Last night at the restaurant the oldest woman proceeded to tell us that one of her cats is dying of a bleeding rectum and she really wants this particular kitten back, and her daughter flipped out after the kittens left and went into super depression for three days, still isn't normal and she wants another kitten back.

*sigh* We told her that it would be two months before they could go anywhere, it's our policy, we don't adopt out kittens until they have been spayed or neutered, not even to the people who surrendered them. Our goal is to bring the unwanted kitten population down. "She won't want it in two months, she likes the kitten stage." was what she said to us.

I will never understand people.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many shelters have a policy that if a pet is surrendered the "owner" gives up all right to know what happens to the animal! I wouldn't even consider giving them a kitten in 2 months... and they are still kittens at 2-3 months.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Breellablue

"She won't want it in two months, she likes the kitten stage." was what she said to us.
Yes, there ARE such people too. They dont want a cat, they want a kitten. Once the kittens is no kitten anymore, it is not longer interesting.

I had met a qrotesque picture of this. We were quests in my sister-in-law house, so were another family guesting there. Father, mother and a angelic looking pretty 12-years girl.
So they are talking about their she-cat. The angelic daughter wishes the cat gets again a litter: she loves to play with kittens. The father looks up and mutters aloud: please, have mercy, I dont like to drown another litter again!

After I while I understood this was no bad joke. They did so. The "angelic" daughter used to play with the kittens, and when they were half grown - they were drowned.

I couldnt embarass our hosts and destroy the feast. Besides, a quarrel wouldnt help nobody.
But a little later, when we two men sat together and had some manly talk, I adviced him the easiest and best solution was to neuter the cat. If he didnt had cash at the moment, he could give her pills. And IF they get kittens, they could try to find them homes; no drowning was necessary.
He did listened, and I think he will follow the advices.

Brr... Glimpses from the hell may be amidst us...

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StefanZ

Yes, there ARE such people too. They dont want a cat, they want a kitten. Once the kittens is no kitten anymore, it is not longer interesting.

I had met a qrotesque picture of this. We were quests in my sister-in-law house, so were another family guesting there. Father, mother and a angelic looking pretty 12-years girl.
So they are talking about their she-cat. The angelic daughter wishes the cat gets again a litter: she loves to play with kittens. The father looks up and mutters aloud: please, have mercy, I dont like to drown another litter again!

After I while I understood this was no bad joke. They did so. The "angelic" daughter used to play with the kittens, and when they were half grown - they were drowned.

I couldnt embarass our hosts and destroy the feast. Besides, a quarrel wouldnt help nobody.
But a little later, when we two men sat together and had some manly talk, I adviced him the easiest and best solution was to neuter the cat. If he didnt had cash at the moment, he could give her pills. And IF they get kittens, they could try to find them homes; no drowning was necessary.
He did listened, and I think he will follow the advices.

Brr... Glimpses from the hell may be amidst us...
People like that are stupid, lazy, heartless
!!!!!!

How can any person with a heart and a soul DROWN a kitten... how???!!!!

And only wanting in the kitten stage... Geesh! We see that, too.

A local shelter here just had mom and dad kitty and five, 8-week old kittens dropped there. It is a high kill shelter - bad, bad,no - terrible policies.. .worst in the area. I know a couple of rescues desperately trying to get the little family out of there. And we all know there would have been such a simple solution. Fix the CATS for cryin' out loud!!

I would NOT let these people adopt from you EVER!!!! Of course, that doesn't mean they won't get a kitten someplace else and then neglect when it is no longer a cute little fuzzball.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

breellablue

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When my mother was young they drowned litters of barn cats on the farm-- but there was no veterinarian, her uncle neutered the male animals himself but usually they kept one or two kittens and drowned the rest to control the population.

but today, with the readily available resources IMO it's not an acceptable practice.

we're not going to give them any kittens.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Breellablue

When my mother was young they drowned litters of barn cats on the farm-- ....f but usually they kept one or two kittens and drowned the rest to control the population.

but today, with the readily available resources IMO it's not an acceptable practice.
Yes, it was surely very common among the farmers. Rude, but they had to do something... And in their way they were well meaning - they did always left at least one kitten so the mother wouldnt suffer too much.

Now there is a very big difference if you drown them (or hit with something heavy) when newborn, and when you drown them when half adult...
Very big difference.

If you really must kill a cat not newborn any longer, let a gun experienced person do it. Perhaps a neighbour who is a hunter.
Or of course, let a vet do it, if it is practically possible.

Killing is never nice. But if you really must do, do give a clean death.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Drowning is still a VERY common practice here.
We get calls all the time, threats of take them or we drown them.

I've shown people kittens who are barely 6 weeks old nursing with their mothers....and been asked if we have any younger kittens. I just politely explain those kittens are too young to go - that they cannot yet eat on their own, and if we let them go this early they often develop behavioral issues, not to mention potential expensive health issues. They usually cuss me out & go get a "free kitty" from elsewhere, but I at least tried.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So upsetting to me, someone so pro-spay/neuter, and now fostering a nursing mom. It makes me never want to let these babies leave my house.

I do feel blessed to have spay and neuter vouchers for all the babies--only $10. I'm going to ask a $25 rehoming fee and when spayed/neutered send back $10 of it. The remainder will help pay for my expenses on the kittens as well as donation to the non profit giving the vouchers.

Leslie

lostmary

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
People sometimes wonder why I like animals better then most people. Duh...!
My little feral kitten, that I got this past Sat., was found in the worse part of town, in an apt complex, where she was tormented by the kids and teens that live there. She is so sad. When you pick her up she goes limp, as if she doesn't have the will to fight back. When she sees people she hides her head under something. It breaks my heart. I would love to have these kids spend a couple of days locked in the state prison with Bubba as their roommate.
Maybe then they would learn compassion, or at least what it feels like to be the underdog.

Mary

ps. I don't mean to offend anyone, it's just an analogy used here to demonstrate severe pain and humuliation.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lostmary

People sometimes wonder why I like animals better then most people. Duh...!
My little feral kitten, that I got this past Sat., was found in the worse part of town, in an apt complex, where she was tormented by the kids and teens that live there. She is so sad. When you pick her up she goes limp, as if she doesn't have the will to fight back. When she sees people she hides her head under something. It breaks my heart. I would love to have these kids spend a couple of days locked in the state prison with Bubba as their roommate.
Maybe then they would learn compassion, or at least what it feels like to be the underdog.

Mary

ps. I don't mean to offend anyone, it's just an analogy used here to demonstrate severe pain and humuliation.
I understand. Those kids have no compassion. Where are they going to learn it? Starts in the home so I would guess the parents if present aren't much to write home about. Mean to animals is the start of being mean to humans, too.

Your story about the kitten's behavior breaks my heart, but the good thing is you have her now and she is young and will learn that not ALL people are meanies!