can i feed only one flavour of canned food?

blueandfrodo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my kitties were eating all canned wellness food since january, but in the last month or so, since wellness keeps going up in price, i have been looking for more cost effective food. i have finally found a food that they will eat and it is about $1 cheaper/large can (yay!) but i can only get them to eat one flavour. they are eating the evo 95% meat chicken and turkey. they have turned up their noses at the other flavours.

so, my question is will their diet be balanced enough just feeding one flavour? i know that canned food has added vitamins and minerals but i want to make sure it will be ok. i would much rather have them eating different protein sources to cover all the bases, but right now i am taking what i can get.

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's fine. Pets on prescription foods only get one flavor, and as you note, each can has all the nutrition a cat needs.

If it were fish, a constant diet might cause problems with some cats, but since this is a chicken/turkey combo, excellent.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well you can, but what happens when they turn that down eventually?

That is why I have a variety of brands and flavors and they get a new one each day. I stick to beef, chicken, lamb, venison, duck. I stay away from fish like salmon or tuna.

There are a few brands they will not eat, but overall they are not picky.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Well you can, but what happens when they turn that down eventually?

That is why I have a variety of brands and flavors and they get a new one each day. I stick to beef, chicken, lamb, venison, duck. I stay away from fish like salmon or tuna.

There are a few brands they will not eat, but overall they are not picky.
I had a cat who for 13 yrs only ate two flavors of wet and one of dry I was lucky when she needed to she readily changed to a canned / raw diet

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueandfrodo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
well, my problem is they will not eat any other flavours. i cannot afford to continue with the wellness, it is too expensive now. they will not eat the beef or venison flavours of the evo 95% meat. believe me, i would much rather they were eating a variety, because i believe that is what is best, but since i can't i just need to be assured that they will get the vitamins and minerals they need.

they will not touch raw
i would love to do that since i feed my dog raw and it would be so much cheaper and more convenient.

blueandfrodo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i could probably do that, but when the kitties get wellness they give up on the evo
wellness is ~$40/case now, 12 large cans. i can get a case of evo for $28 with tax, it really is a big difference, ~$100/month for wellness vs ~$70/month for the evo. i need them to continue eating the evo.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Will they eat cooked chicken breast? You could vary it that way.
or hamburger ... you do not need to worry about supplement s unless you feed it more than 10% of diet

blueandfrodo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
frodo will eat a tiny amount of cooked meat but blue will usually just smell it and walk away. they are both older, blue will be 12 next month and frodo is almost 8, and they are very set in their ways. i will continue to try to feed meat to them and see how it goes.

i guess this may all be for naught anyway, we may be moving home (just very recently decided) and there is only one store in all of newfoundland that sells evo and of course it is about a 6 hour drive from where we will be living
maybe if we are lucky we will be able to get a store close to us to order it for us.

denali

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow - that is quite a difference in price for EVO 95% and Wellness. On another note - many cats do live on one flavoured canned - mine did for all their lives until September. I started them on a raw diet and with raw it is good for them to get variety. Now when I feed them canned I feed them a variety between Wellness Core/grainfree canned flavors and EVO 95% canned flavors and they LOVE it. My male cat is 12 and female is 9 so it is never too old to switch cats to raw. My female was very set in her ways as well but I eventually (a month or two) got her to switch. I had to put her back onto canned for her Megacolon and now she almost toppals me over for variety. The only canned food she does not like is Evangers Turkey & squash and By Nature Organics. But she loves all the different flavors of the other cans.

Have you tried all the tricks of getting them to eat the different flavors of EVO? Mixing in a bit of their favorite flavor of Wellness and slowly decreasing the Wellness. Sprinkling parmesan on top, pouring some tuna juice over the EVO....there are alot of different things you can do to try and get them to eat the new flaovrs. How about mixing some of the flavor they do like of EVO with a tiny bit of a flavor of EVO they aren't too fond of and then slowly decreasing the loved flavor?

Here is an online store here in Canada that you can check out
http://www.petacular.com/dir/12.html

blueandfrodo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thank you for the information! i have not tried the tricks that you mentions, like tuna juice and cheese, but i will give it a try. i tried mixing a little together and they wouldn't eat it. i tried and tried raw when them as well. since frodo is over weight i can't let him go for too long because if he loses weight too fast i read that it could cause fatty deposits on his liver. i know that you can't let a cat go too long without food anyway, not like a dog. i always offer them raw when i am giving it to my dog.

thanks for the link! i was looking at it yesterday and they said that they cannot ship evo canned food outside of the province of ontario. i don't know why! so weird.

denali

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I say little - I mean little....like maybe a dime size of the non accepted flavor and increasing very very slowly. This may take a couple of months....but worth it in the end

If you are afraid of wasting a can then freeze half of the can or more. I do this all the time and unfreeze in fridge the night before I feed again. You could even portion it into an ice cube tray when freezing and bring out a cube when needed.

blueandfrodo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
that is a good idea about freezing the food. i will have to give it a try. i will probably get some beef 95% evo food and give it a try. they will sort of eat that flavour. they didn't eat any of the venison. it is worth the effort if they will eat the food.

i tried the mixing thing with ground raw food. i put a TINY amount, like the size of a pea or smaller in their wellness and they wouldn't touch it! brats!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
yeah my two flavor was 13-14 yr s so never to late to try