I'm a newly owned human :D

purplefizz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey all, i'm new here and hope to stay for a looooong time now

So, I got my new kitten today. He is black and 8-9 weeks old. I got him home about 5 hours ago and he has access to food, water, toys and his litter tray. Now, although i'm not new to having kittens and cats alike, this is the first time since i moved into my new house that i've had a kitten alone!

Anyway, my kitty slept in his carrier for a bit then he come out and darted behind the TV. I left him there for about half an hour and then realised theres wires!! Stupid me. Luckily he didn't mess with them, he just had a sleep.

So, i got him out and gave him a little cuddle and reassurance. He has now gone under the sofa and has been there for the last, say, 4 hours. He hasnt come out for the toilet or food or water. He is asleep but woke up about an hour ago and had a little meow(awww). I've been speaking to him to try get him used to my voice and i've carried on with washing and cleaning etc.

Could any of you lovely people give me some advice on how to make sure he is comfy and happy. I don't want him to be sad
. thanks

prairieduck

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I remember the first days of my cat too. It sounds like you're already doing great as a pet owner. I recommend buying some toys to play with,a cat bed,and some kind of post for your cat to scratch on.

Lots of happy wishes,and good luck to you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

purplefizz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oooops, forgot to mention he does have a little bed. It looks comfy, nicer than my own bed
Maybe he will use it when he comes round. Yeah, I do need to get a scratch post. He has some toys but he isn't interested right now. Should I just leave him to settle in? Or should I get him out? (I don't want to put him through anything upsetting!).

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! Welcome to the forums!

Congratulations on your new kitten. I want a black kitty so badly!

Your kitten will come around given a little time and patience. He is used to having his mom and siblings around and now they are suddenly gone. It would help to confine him to a small room at first. Let him get comfortable with a small area first then introduce him to a larger area. Spend a lot of time talking to him and trying to get him to play. If you can get him to play that will help him to relax. I've never seen a kitten that could resist a string so you might try that. Don't leave it with him unsupervised though in case he decides to try to eat it.

Good luck. We love pictures here at TCS (hint, hint).

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't force him to come out. It's best to cajole him into coming out on his own. He's just scared being in a strange environment. He'll come around.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
5 hours in a new home? He's still adjusting. I like to confine any new cat in a smaller space until they get used to the sounds and smells of my home, then open it up once they seem a little more confident in their surroundings. It's probably why he went under the bed. He's in a new scary place right now.

He'll come out on his own and I'm not sure I would push it right now. Talking to him is a very good thing. You might also want to get a good book, sit on the floor of the room he is in and read aloud to him. People are less intimidating when they are down at their level. And if he comes out, don't snatch him up, but let him walk over you. It's all about confidence building when they are in a new place.

And kittens love wand toys.

We do love pictures (hint)!

purplefizz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hee hee, pictures will be posted soon. I don't think he would be too pleased with me taking pics of him just yet though!
Yes, I did read up ALOT before I got him and know that putting him in 1 room for now is best but my living room is small plus there isn't anybody else about so there isn't alot of traffic. Do you think I should take him upstairs to the bathroom or spare room?? I just want what is best for him! I already love him lots and lots (hee hee).
Thanks for all your comments,
Purple x

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Smidge freaked out being out in the open when I brought her home (she also is not/was not a self-assured kind of cat). Keeping her in a smaller space (bedroom) helped a lot. I gave her space but spoke to her and did give her some pets (because she was sooooo cute!) that she liked. She was fine with that unless I moved her from her spot (the window perch). She had her litter and food nearby also of course.

Everyone always said "Wait until she comes to you". Which I did. It only took 48 hrs before she came running to me and rubbed against me. I was able to move the litter and food to the "real" place at that time, and she was comfy having the place to explore.

He needs to trust you first and get used to his surroundings. I think a smaller space would alleviate some stress.

Congrats on your new baby! Name?

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, and you can try taking a towel and rubbing him down with it to get his scent on it. You can leave with him in his new "safe spot" to help calm him. He is being bombarded by new smells. A familiar one can help.

Did you consider bringing home two? Add his littermate maybe?

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

Hi! Welcome to the forums!

Congratulations on your new kitten. I want a black kitty so badly!

Your kitten will come around given a little time and patience. He is used to having his mom and siblings around and now they are suddenly gone. It would help to confine him to a small room at first. Let him get comfortable with a small area first then introduce him to a larger area. Spend a lot of time talking to him and trying to get him to play. If you can get him to play that will help him to relax. I've never seen a kitten that could resist a string so you might try that. Don't leave it with him unsupervised though in case he decides to try to eat it.

Good luck. We love pictures here at TCS (hint, hint).
Hello
& welcome. Congrats on your new baby!

I was thinking the same thing about confining him to a small room. If he has a small little place he feels safe then he will know that is some place he can go.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he is very shy, and it sounds like he might be, confining him to a small room will limit how overwhelmed he feels and he will probably relax faster.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I completely understand! congrats on the new kitten!!
I always "sleep" near my new arrival. I'll just lay down quietly where it's napping and be with it. they know you are companionable and there for them, but not in a loud scary way. It is probably the first time its away from family so I can only imagine what he is feeling.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

I was thinking the same thing about confining him to a small room. If he has a small little place he feels safe then he will know that is some place he can go.
I had Coco confined to a small room for about a week (for health reasons) when I first got her. When I first opened the door to let her explore the rest of the house, she would venture out a little ways then run back to her "safe room".

Toby on the other hand just immediately set about exploring the entire house the moment I opened his carrier after bringing him home.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

I had Coco confined to a small room for about a week (for health reasons) when I first got her. When I first opened the door to let her explore the rest of the house, she would venture out a little ways then run back to her "safe room".

Toby on the other hand just immediately set about exploring the entire house the moment I opened his carrier after bringing him home.
None of my current cats ever wanted to be confined. As soon as they were out of that little bathroom it was a fight to get them back in. They are all outgoing cats (well except maybe Maggie) and love adventure.

purplefizz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awww you are all so kind replying to me
I've just had a peek at him and he looked at me, stretched then went back to sleep! Hee hee. The only problem with putting him in the spare room is that my partner uses that room for his paper work and getting ready for work in the morning....will it still be OK to put him there? Or should I put him in my room? Or should I leave him? Maybe the spare room because I can leave him to settle for a couple of hours, maybe he might eat and use the toilet then. Hee hee, I just want to make the right choice! I'll have to get him out now then....wish me luck....

Oh, haven't decided what to name him yet....I like unusual names
maybe give it a few days and see what his character is like.

passing through

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

5 hours in a new home? He's still adjusting. I like to confine any new cat in a smaller space until they get used to the sounds and smells of my home, then open it up once they seem a little more confident in their surroundings. It's probably why he went under the bed. He's in a new scary place right now.

He'll come out on his own and I'm not sure I would push it right now. Talking to him is a very good thing. You might also want to get a good book, sit on the floor of the room he is in and read aloud to him. People are less intimidating when they are down at their level. And if he comes out, don't snatch him up, but let him walk over you. It's all about confidence building when they are in a new place.

And kittens love wand toys.

We do love pictures (hint)!
Excellent advice - sit on the floor and do your own thing. By evening, I would start some interaction.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just read a post that said to name your cat a name that will make the vet laugh, cringe or blush.
heehee

I've never had to confine my cats. Only if he seems super scared or unsure of himself. Than he may be shy and better confined. I've always seemed to end up with outgoing kitties who are super noisy!

purplefizz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
YAY! I got him out from behind the sofa and gave him a little cuddle which he seemed to enjoy and didn't try to get away from me. Then he went behind the TV and meowed for about 5 minutes. Now, he's come out to have a look around and he has found some tuna.....don't know how that got there.....
I'm just so happy he has had something to eat! Next task is to get him on the litter tray!

UPDATE: Now he has finished the tuna he is eating the kitten food.....he must be very hungry!!! Bless.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you haven't had a kitten for a while, here's a reminder for you. When they are very small, they don't have as much control over their bodily functions as they do as an adult. They often get involved in play and don't realize that they have to use their litter box. If the litter pan is too far away, they may not make it. This is another reason why some folks try to limit the space allowed to a kitten.

If you have a multi-level home, I suggest a litter pan on each floor at a minimum. The rule of thumb for the number of litter boxes is one for each cat plus an additional (e.g. 2 pans for 1 cat, 3 pans for 2 cats, etc). Some cats don't like to pee and poop in the same box.

purplefizz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah must get one for upstairs actually. I've decided to keep him in the living room because he is having a little wander around now. He just went up 2 stairs and came jumping back down again! And he is meowing lots....must miss his family

http://s714.photobucket.com/albums/ww149/PurpleFizz5/?action=view&current=P1020175.jpg

http://s714.photobucket.com/albums/ww149/PurpleFizz5/?action=view&current=P1020176.jpg

http://s714.photobucket.com/albums/ww149/PurpleFizz5/?action=view&current=P1020177.jpg

http://s714.photobucket.com/albums/ww149/PurpleFizz5/?action=view&current=P1020178.jpg