New cat/old cat introduction

subdude

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I'm new here and joined this forum to see if I could get some advice on introducing a new cat with an old cat. Here's the story.

We took in a cat about 10yrs ago he was around 7 when we took him in so he's getting up there in age. This cat is very laid back and friendly and an indoor cat only.

We had an opportunity to adopt a 6yr old Ragdoll cat so we went to check her out she was very friendly and compassionate and the kids loved her so we decided to take her in (this was last Saturday)

Our plan was to bring the new cat (Cloud) in to the house and keep her in a safe spot for a few days so she could get acclimated to the surroundings then slowly introduce her to our old cat. Well that all went awry when my daughter opened the door to the safe spot room and Cloud escaped into the house ran into my sons room where our old cat (Casper) was sleeping. Both cats were startled and Casper attacked Cloud it was a mild scuffle but Cloud took it hard emotionally and became very scared ran off and hid on us. We finally found her hiding inside an old antique console record player and she would not let us go near here constantly hissing, and scratching us. Our goal was to get her back into her safe spot room. Finally after some time we had to coax her into the room with a broom because we couldn't pick her up.

So now we have her in the safe room but she's still very timid she does come right to us for affection but as soon as you start petting her she turns on you and tries to bite and scratch etc.... she is getting a bit better each day but she still tends to claw and bite hiss etc.... she has met the older cat through the window on the door but that's it. I took a sock and petted the old cat and brought it out to her.

Sorry for the long story but has anyone ever ran into this kind of predicament?

This cat was so loving when we got her but everything took a complete 360 after the altercation.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TheCatSite,

I am sure that you will find a solution but IMO, you will need to start over with their introductions.
The link below might give you some additional tools that will help Cloud and Casper adjust to each other.
Trading scents, that is discussed there, is very useful.

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67321

I doubt that your daughter will let her out of the safe room again.

Keep checking back for more feedback from members and keep us updated about your progress.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

subdude

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

Welcome to TheCatSite,

I am sure that you will find a solution but IMO, you will need to start over with their introductions.
The link below might give you some additional tools that will help Cloud and Casper adjust to each other.
Trading scents, that is discussed there, is very useful.

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67321

I doubt that your daughter will let her out of the safe room again.

Keep checking back for more feedback from members and keep us updated about your progress.
Thanks, great thread you posted with a lot of good tips that I will use. I will post updates hopefully everything will be settled in a month or so.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by subdude

Thanks, great thread you posted with a lot of good tips that I will use. I will post updates hopefully everything will be settled in a month or so.
That is the definitive thread for all ideas on introducing cats. If you find something doesn't work for you, keep trying other ideas in that thread. Every introduction is unique and what works for some doesn't work for others.

Would love to hear updates.