TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Water-dish Polo
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Water-dish Polo

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
Maybe it's because I gave them lots of baths at an early age, or maybe it's just because they're goofy...but my three kitties have developed a great fascination with water. I know lots of you have cats who also love playing in/watching water, so you probably have similar stories of your own...but I just had to share this one.

This morning hubby and I were out working in the yard for a couple of hours. We came in to take a break, and I noticed that our collie's big stainless steel water dish was off its mat...and empty. I knew that the culprit had to be one of the 3M's because Brenna isn't the playful type. I showed hubby and he said, "You know, when I came in earlier Molly was standing in the water dish..." Yeah, just standing there...caught in the act of spilling the poor doggie's water all over the floor just for fun! So, I cleaned it up, refilled the bowl and went back outside.

Not 30 minutes later I came back in, and what do I find? Yup, an empty water dish again, and Molly sitting nearby licking her suspiciously wet paws, otherwise looking quite innocent...of course! So, after cleaning up the puddle a second time, I filled the dog's bowl and brought to the office with me where I could keep an eye on things. And the first thing Brenna did was follow me and take a long drink...poor thirsty doggie can't even get a drink with these crazy cats around! No wonder she is not so sure if they're her friends!
post #2 of 10
Right now I am arguing with Ari over the water dish and his fascination with a hole in the side of it. (The hole is there for ease of picking up, part of the firing process, or to fascinate kitties. ) I fill it and then he will start pulling it off the mat by sticking his paw in that hole or pulling on the mat until the bowl empties.
post #3 of 10
My cat will not drink out of a water dish, only people glasses or cups. Found this out when I was concerned that her water dish was never getting empty at all, and woke up to find her with her little noggin in my glass of water on the nightstand. Now she has her own cup, Mommies favorite cambells soup cup that I used to use all the time before being claimed by a determined feline. She still steals water out of my glass though.
post #4 of 10
I caught one of my foster kittens, Charlotte sitting IN the dogs waterbowl yesterday. just chilling in it. I was there when she was born and have never bathed her!
post #5 of 10
Cats!!
post #6 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breellablue View Post
I caught one of my foster kittens, Charlotte sitting IN the dogs waterbowl yesterday. just chilling in it. I was there when she was born and have never bathed her!
Oh dear! That's hilarious!

My three also like to watch the water go down the drain after we take showers. It's a walk-in shower, so they can just sit outside the door and look in, but one day I walked in and found Max sitting IN the shower in a puddle of water, just as content as can be. Afterward, he was walking around the house with a soaked rear...looked like he'd wet himself! So funny!
post #7 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemlady View Post
Right now I am arguing with Ari over the water dish and his fascination with a hole in the side of it. (The hole is there for ease of picking up, part of the firing process, or to fascinate kitties. ) I fill it and then he will start pulling it off the mat by sticking his paw in that hole or pulling on the mat until the bowl empties.
We must have the similar dishes...heavy ceramic ones with a little rectangular space on one side...it is very handy for picking up the dishes, but sometimes a piece of food will get stuck under a bowl...then the kitties will starting sticking their paws in the hole, or pushing the bowl around with their noses, trying to find the food they can smell but can't see!
post #8 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillcat View Post
My cat will not drink out of a water dish, only people glasses or cups. Found this out when I was concerned that her water dish was never getting empty at all, and woke up to find her with her little noggin in my glass of water on the nightstand. Now she has her own cup, Mommies favorite cambells soup cup that I used to use all the time before being claimed by a determined feline. She still steals water out of my glass though.
I can't remember who did it, but one of mine was sneaky enough to lap up some milk out of my cup once. However, they're not so interested in drinking out of people glasses...they just want to stick their paws in and touch the water! If I ever leave a clear glass out w/ water in it, Molly will inevitably come along and start sticking her nose and paws in, trying to reach the water. Once she tipped a glass over on the desk...had to clean that up quickly before anything got damaged!
post #9 of 10
OK can cats read????
Since I posted in this thread Ginger has been spilling her water cup, repeatdly! Its a big cup and I keep it clean and fresh. Never did that before, ever! Is she trying to be the most goofy water related cat? She will tip it over, not an easy feat, its heavy, then looks at me and runs. Goofy, stange and bizzare little creatures!
post #10 of 10
My cats used to have a PetMat water fountain. Well Jordan learned how to flip it over. From that point on, whenever I was gone for longer than he felt was appropriate he would flip it over. I would come home to water all over the floor & the pump running very loudly. I still don't know exactly how he did it, but a switch to the CATIT fountain fixed the problem.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Water-dish Polo