removing cat pee ODOR from carpet and cement

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cats peed on a carpet in my room. I tried the vinager and hydrogen peroxide and other things and even saturated the carpet so it had to be pulled back to dry, but STILL the odor was so bad, that yesterday I cut out that part of the carpet and put black plastic down on the cement (my house sits on a slab of cement) and then another carpet and then the litter box.

THAT was a big mistake as the cement STINKS!

I was told, on another board, to use zero odor but when I checked it online I found MANY MANY bad reviews on it saying it not only bleached out the carpet BUT the odors either did not go away or returned shortly.

Can any of you tell me what I should use to get the smell out of my other few carpets and OFF/OUT OF the cement floor! PLEASE! Summer is coming and the heat makes it so much worse!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your other carpets are bad, you may have to take them up and seal the floors under them, too. The carpet padding will likely have to go. Since you'll be pulling the carpet up to treat the cement and sub floors, cut out the affected padding and replace it. From there you can use odor neutralizing enzyme cleaners with a shampooer on the carpet.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
To get rid of the odors, I would use Nok Out. You'll have to soak that cement floor. And if you don't want to replace the padding and carpet, you'll have to soak them too. When it's that bad, it'll probably take at least two applications, maybe three. But when I say soak - I mean, if I were you, I'd probably buy at least a gallon and maybe two, depending upon the size of the area(s). And you MUST let it air dry - no cheating, and putting a heater near it to "speed up" the drying process. And further applications have to wait until the first one is completely dry.

https://nokout.com/store/home.php

Laurie

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I second Laurie's recommendation for Nok Out. Zero Odor will get out the smell, but it's far more expensive than other products. Zero odor is great for general animal smell (like smelly wet dogs), not urine smell.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been thinking about this and IMO, I still believe that pulling up the carpet to get a look under it is the best plan. If the area has been repeatedly urinated and washed the padding may be in pretty poor shape (deteriorating) in those areas. There's also the fact that wood and concrete are porous materials, they absorb liquids. For extra fun, one should take into account that molds are present on everything , especially building materials, including the more serious molds. It's best to take a look at that floor and seal it if possible.

And if the OP does do this, please at least wear a dust mask.

The cleaners could still be used to save the carpet itself, of course.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I've been thinking about this and IMO, I still believe that pulling up the carpet to get a look under it is the best plan. If the area has been repeatedly urinated and washed the padding may be in pretty poor shape (deteriorating) in those areas. There's also the fact that wood and concrete are porous materials, they absorb liquids. For extra fun, one should take into account that molds are present on everything , especially building materials, including the more serious molds. It's best to take a look at that floor and seal it if possible.

And if the OP does do this, please at least wear a dust mask.

The cleaners could still be used to save the carpet itself, of course.
I've had success with Nok Out on a concrete floor. Like you said, its porous and absorbs liquids, whether that be pee or Nok Out.