I need help!

calismom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok so Ive been up for the last 2 nights without sleep. Cali and the kittens are doing fine, ITS GUARDIAN!!!!!! He won't leave them alone, After the scare with him carrying off a kitten I seperated them at night (during the day he ignores them) so Ive had to block him from our room at night. Let me tell you he does not like this, he starts out meowing softly which after 5 mins turns into full blown yowling, Ive tried locking him in the bathroom which only escalates the yowling. If I shush him he stops yowling but then puts his paws underneath my bedroom door and rattles it non stop. its getting so bad hes waking up my 2 year old daughter, then im up for another 3 hours trying to get her back to sleep. call me a bad mom but ive even put him outside(with the door open a crack) to play on our screened porch. But he won't stay out! and its still a little nippy at night here so I don't want to block him out there. The only thing Ive found to do is putting him in his cat carrier all night, but I feel horrible doing that. and he still yowls I just can't hear him.Thats how I got 2 hours of sleep last night. Ive tried putting Cali and the kittens in the living room and him in our bedroom but then he just does it the oppisite way. Its like the door being closed sets him off. Please help. Im at my wits end with him! The lack of sleep is affecting my workand home life.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Go and buy a large dog crate or cat playpen.
Set Cali and babies up in it with litterpan, food and water, toys and a shelf so Cali can get away from the kits.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that he get's used to the door shut.

Sorry I don't have any other advice....

PS: one thought, try giving him a towel or blanket that smells like Cali and the kittens (but ONLY at bedtime when the issue is the most problematic)....or even a small stuffed kitty that smells like them.... that might help.

ETA: the crate idea is a good one.....as long as Cali isn't getting stressed with Guardian pawing at the crate (if he would)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calismom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I tried the crate with Cali, she freaks out. she got so upset she was stepping on her kittens and crying which upset guardian more. and when I opened the cage she grabbed a kitten and bolted. she ended up moving them back to the box she was originally in. So the crate is a no go.

breellablue

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
you need to move the box with her, and maybe cover the crate with a blanket or sheet. She will get used to the crate.

calismom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
no Its the crate in general, A little bit of history, Cali and sparta were of the "free" kitten variety, I was only getting sparta but when I went to pick him up the lady brought me in her house, which was gross and stunk of cat urine she led me to a horribly lit room and showed me two kittens cali and sparta, she had them living in upside down milk crate they had a paper plate with old dried wet food on it and no litter or water in site. They had never been out of that crate and her two horrible children used to torment them through the slats. I ended up taking them both home even though they were too young to leave their mom and they were dirty and covered in fleas, and neither had any idea how to use a litterbox. So ever since then when you trap cali in a small space she freaks out. the only reason she likes the box shes in is because it has a hole in it she can get in and out of. So I say again a crate is a no go.

browneyes106

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calismom

no Its the crate in general, A little bit of history, Cali and sparta were of the "free" kitten variety, I was only getting sparta but when I went to pick him up the lady brought me in her house, which was gross and stunk of cat urine she led me to a horribly lit room and showed me two kittens cali and sparta, she had them living in upside down milk crate they had a paper plate with old dried wet food on it and no litter or water in site. They had never been out of that crate and her two horrible children used to torment them through the slats. I ended up taking them both home even though they were too young to leave their mom and they were dirty and covered in fleas, and neither had any idea how to use a litterbox. So ever since then when you trap cali in a small space she freaks out. the only reason she likes the box shes in is because it has a hole in it she can get in and out of. So I say again a crate is a no go.
Poor Cali. I have see kittens and cats in those kinds of conditons. Milk crates are very small even for kittens. I can understand where Cali gets scared. What happened to Sparta?

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, poor Cali
You did a good thing saving her and Sparta
I really don't know what to say about Guardien though

calismom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
sparta died about 6 months ago, he got hit by a car.

browneyes106

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calismom

sparta died about 6 months ago, he got hit by a car.
I'm sorry about Sparta. He is now a guardian angel for Cali,Guardian and the kittens.