Time to let them out of the nest?

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So on Saturday I moved the babies to a nest that was open, but the sides are still just as high. They can get their front feet up on the sides but that is it. I know that all 5 babies have a good number of teeth--should I put a nest with lower sides so they can get out and start exploring a litter box and food? They are 22 days old today and all around 13 ounces in weight.

...my babies are growing up...

Leslie

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you still have them in the cage with Ginger? If you do, let them out in the cage- my guys had a little "playpen area", but they had the run of the room at 4 weeks

pbsj_1988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CuteKittenKat

Do you still have them in the cage with Ginger? If you do, let them out in the cage- my guys had a little "playpen area", but they had the run of the room at 4 weeks
Wo wait hun run of the room at four weeks that early? I thought like 6 or 7 man I am in for a rude awakening in a few weeks.
AAAAWWWW stressed out already.

breellablue

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
my fosters usually flop out of the box at around two weeks, and I let them out into the main cat room shortly after that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As a side note my circumstances are a bit different than some. Ginger is a stray and my husband said no to her being in the house. So she is in a large dog cage on our front porch--which has recently been expanded to 3 times the size.

Yes the babies were in the cage with Ginger in a box. I will be putting them in a shallower box today and expect escapees. I'm so proud of them--little gray boy was cleaning himself yesterday--the first one to start that (and the only who will probably stay with us).

I have a second litter box ready for the babies and a low dish and some kitten wet ready for them--things start to really get interesting now yeah?

Leslie

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have plenty of extra toys here--I keep a "new toy" drawer. Which my boys were terribly offended I dug in and took toys out of for Ginger and the babies not them. Plus there were some toys in their toy box that they don't play with I stole for the babies.

Leslie

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jack31

We have plenty of extra toys here--I keep a "new toy" drawer. Which my boys were terribly offended I dug in and took toys out of for Ginger and the babies not them. Plus there were some toys in their toy box that they don't play with I stole for the babies.

Leslie
Hahaha
My girl is so offended with the fosters that she will hardly look at me
If you're thinking there'll be escapes, maybe cut out an entrance so they know how to get back in
I love them at this age- the fun begins!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My personal belief is that if they are ready to explore, then it is good exercise for them and it will help with their coordination if they get out and use their muscles. But kitten proof your porch completely. If you don't want them under the furniture (if there is anything out there), stuff towels under things so you don't lose them.

When I raised my orphaned litters, when they were big enough to climb out of the box (shortly before 3 weeks old), I made them a larger pen (about 6 foot square) complete with short things for them to climb on (piles of towels, a scratch post turned on its side). Once they started to climb out of that pen, I gave them the entire room (an 8x12 porch). They were so proud of themselves when they learned to scale those "walls"!

What a cute age you are at!!

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I gave them a lower sided nest today but nobody made it over quite yet I may have hubby cut the sides lower as they are definitely playing in there but the room is running low.

Their entire cage area is about 8x2.5x2.5 not the best but the best we can do. Momma is very good about staying on the porch when she's out of the cage but I'm a big worrier when I'm with her alone as I'm afraid she'll bolt and I have a pregnant cat on my hands again, so her time out of the cage is limited at least when I'm alone. As the kittens get a bit bigger I'll give them some time out of the cage on the porch when I have help, I'd like to let them explore the grass, but with all the strays we have don't want them getting fleas.

I sit outside in the mornings and just watch kitten tv--I love watching them play!!

Leslie

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jack31

Leslie
You know cats are kind of like kids that way. I have toys my cats have NEVER played with. When I take them to the cats at the shelter, I get this look like "are you kidding me? that's my favorite toy & your going to give it away?"