Kitten advice Needed???

majormom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey all, so my kitttens are 1 week old and I have noticed that their eyes started to open on saturday/sunday but there is one little one(the last kitten born and the msallest of them all) thats eyes are still closed. He is very small when you put him/her next to the other five and I am worries that he/she is not getting enough food(becasue he is smaller he kinda gets bullied around) should I go to the pet store and get a little bottle and start feeding him/her that way?? PLease help any advice would be great!!

Thanks in advance

rainbow_tic_tac

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm no expert, but it might be smart. The same thing happened with my one of my dog's pups and we fed him the formula from a bottle. He turned out just fine and I'm sure the situation is similar with kittens. c:

If all else fails, take him to the veterinarian. You can't go wrong there.

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The little one is probably the runt of the litter, but if he seems content and not crying, I would think he's ok. You can purchase some KMR and a bottle to keep on hand. I would invest in a kitchen scale so you can weigh him each day to see if he's gaining. As long as baby is gaining, all should be fine

You can supplement feed now if you think there is an immediate need.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

majormom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was just in with them and he seems to be very hungry but having issues on getting to the nipple and staying there with out the other 5 pushing him outta the way. I am getting the scale tomorrow and i think i will get the KMR and a bottle just in case. That way I can feed him and the other "small" one to know that they are definetaly getting milk.
Four of the babies are very plump and then the last two that were born are small(the black one which is the tiniest and then I have the second last one born a grey that is only a little bigger)

Any other tips on feeding would be great, thanks to those whom already answered!!

pbsj_1988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have a very small one if you watch your little one may be getting food when the others are alseep Echo spend 98% of her time with the babys and I thought my little one was not getting enough.

She gets it when Kujo the biggest is asleep. Myne are 3 or 4 days old. they where born friday during the day.

Hope that helps weight will be the best I have weighed myne 2 times a day everyday so far. She is half the size of her bothers and sisters but gaining weight at the same rate as them.

When you weigh dont look at she/he is half look at over a few days if they gained 3 ounces did she gain 3 ounces.

I only have four so there are more nipples to go around

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had the same problem two smaller ones, and thought they needed supplementing but they really didn't need supplemented because they gained everyday. And now at 3 weeks they have caught up to the point where their is little to no difference between their weight and their siblings.

Just weigh them each day, at the same time each day and as long as they gain they are fine.

Leslie

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just be careful, because sometimes Mom will ditch the kittens if you start supplimenting....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

majormom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks all!!
I got a scale today and weighed them all. The smallest one is 110 grams(3.88 ounces) and the largest one is 191 grams(6.74 ounces) so that is a big difference. The other 5 are in between.

I went a ngot some supplement and a little bottle from the vet and she said it would be good to feed the little one 2-3 times from the bottle(while momma is out roaming the house) But I tried this evening and I can;t get the little one to suck on it..any tips are suggestions?? Maybe a syringe instead??

Thanks in advance
Pam

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MajorMom

Thanks all!!
I got a scale today and weighed them all. The smallest one is 110 grams(3.88 ounces) and the largest one is 191 grams(6.74 ounces) so that is a big difference. The other 5 are in between.

I went a ngot some supplement and a little bottle from the vet and she said it would be good to feed the little one 2-3 times from the bottle(while momma is out roaming the house) But I tried this evening and I can;t get the little one to suck on it..any tips are suggestions?? Maybe a syringe instead??

Thanks in advance
Pam
You can keep trying. A syringe may work or a medicine dropper.

autumnblueangel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've just been through something similar, two of one of my cats three newborns died within the past 2 weeks, one of whom the vet said had a congenital heart problem and was the "runt of the litter", and another because cat flu got her and nothing we or the vet did could save her.

Both kittens were small, and dominated by the third surving kitten, the smallest who died first, I had to start on food early (which she took to with gutso) and give her milk because she was a third the size of the largest and had always been small, as well as having bad eye discharge which I had to keep treating but they always managed to close again.

So in a way, my situation, is similar to yours, but hopefully you can have a happy ending. The reason I'm bringing this up, is that I do have some advice, since I had to "intensive care" the two kittens I lost.

Be VERY careful force feeding the kitten. Aspiration is when milk or solids gets into their lungs, when they don't have proper suction or a cleft pallet making it difficult for them to suckle and when your force feeding and it's not ready to take it in and you do it too fast, it could get into the lungs and aspiration can be fatal to neonatal kittens - it can cause breathing difficulty and also a secondary infection.

Go very slowly with the feeding, a small tube syringe with some warm vet recommended milk should do the job, make sure you give the kitten plenty of time and patience. If in doubt get your vet to show you. Also get to them to show you how to check for dehydration. Dehydration will kill kittens mercilessly, it doesn't take long to take your baby, and it's the boogie man you have to keep an eye on.

Keep them in a sanitary place, the smaller they are, the weaker their immune system will probably be. Keep them warm, Mother cat should be keeping them warm, but if she's roaming, your kitten can't regulate its body temperature properly.

My cat used to roam a lot and the youngest diddn't have much energy to follow her, so we constantly had her up on the bed with us, laying against my partners warm, bare skin, and she loved it, snuggling up to him, finding just the right place where he was warm enough as his skin is pretty warm to the touch compared to mine.

A heating pad would keep your little one toasting, vets sell them, or a nice warm hot water bottle, warmed regularly to a temperature your vet suggests.

It's going to be hard if you go down the intensive care route, and I classify bottle assistance as intensive care, as it's full time, and also all the other stuff you'll have to keep an eye on, and you will stress, and at the end of the day hopefully your kitten will survive, but even with the hardest work, for instance I spent 8 weeks on eggshells only to loose 2 of them and fear for the last, and after spending $500+ on 4 days intensive care for my last whom I'm still currently grieving for and died last night.

However, it can all be worth it, even with the most negative story, if you follow your vets intensive care advice (small kittens are fragile and delicate), it could be a happy story like my older cats whom were small babies, and with care have grown up to be boistrous adult terrors lol.

Good luck.

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

I've never had this problem before in 13 years of breeding
No, neither have I, but someone at our shelter warned us to be careful when we asked about supplimenting our fosters- it's probably pretty rare. They also probably said that bacause our mom wasn't very good, and very confused