Ok to prefer dry over wet food?

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Go is a problem during breakfast which is when my cats are given wet food (home cooked and canned). He will never finish and sometimes he just leaves without even tasting it. But when it's dry he not only gobbles up his share but waits for any leftover of the others.
Is this okay?
BTW, Go is my naughtiest, most overactive of the bunch!

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
is pretty finicky also. That is a cats middle name! Canned is the best for cats, but it does get frustrating. My mom used to put out 3 different kinds of food all at once, and her cat would turn up her nose at it most of the time. She passed away at 14 from old age. Go figure.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I know with Hennessy he doesn't like beef, he only likes the kinds with gravy, and he won't eat anything with tomato-like sauce with it (there's one nutro wet like that.) It took me a while to find a kind he'd eat relatively consistently (Mushed in warm/hot water is a winner-winner-chicken-dinner for him.)

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Go sounds like my Toby. The only way I can get him to eat canned is to never give him a choice of anything else. If he knows he'll get dry at some point in the day he'll just ignore the canned and wait for the dry even if that means only eating one meal a day. So, no dry at all at my house.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Kizzy doesn't like canned much.... I did try many different kinds, brands, flavors, chunky/pate/flaked...etc. He would also have diarrhea issues with too much canned food. My main concern with not feeding wet was water intake, but Kizzy drinks ALOT of water.

I finally found one he'll eat well.... Fancy Feast, grilled chicken feast. He will also eat the grilled beef feast. I really don't care that it's not the best food.... it is better than none at all IMHO. He gets 1 3oz can every 1-2days. Plus a high quality dry food.

Anyways, my point:

- if your cat drinks alot of water, I wouldn't worry much about wet food. If Go doesn't drink alot of water, maybe investing in a water fountain would be a good thought.

But if you want a recommendation of type to try:

- food to try: try the FF grilled.... it's cheap, if he doesn't like it, you are not out much. For some reason, Kizzy loves the consistancy...(it looks like a flaked tuna in a can, with just a bit of juice) The only negative about this food, for me, is that it contains wheat gluten which can be a potential allergen (but my cat is fine with it)

http://fancyfeast.com/wet-cat-food/g...east-in-gravy/ (pic to show what it looks like)

I will even feed it out of my hand, the chunks are big enough.... so its like a treat LOL.

- BG (Before Grain) Quail. The BG canned foods are 100% meat, and water for processing. ALOT of people have said their cats LOVE the quail. It's not cheap, and not meant for feeding all the time (supplemental only) but in Go's case, I think it would work great if he'll eat it. (there's other varieties of it: chicken, salmon, tuna, quail, turkey and beef)

another added bonus, you can buy the large cans for dogs as its the same everything....100% meat. (cheaper to buy large cans if they like it)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

another added bonus, you can buy the large cans for dogs as its the same everything....100% meat. (cheaper to buy large cans if they like it)
Dog food? I am not sure if this is a good idea.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yayi

Dog food? I am not sure if this is a good idea.
Check the website for it, or even ask your vet.

The before grain canned (NOT dry) is meat plus water for processing.... no anything else added. The chicken in the cat section is identical to the chicken in the dog section. No difference nutritionally.... only difference is the size of the can.

I've heard that the Evo 95% foods are the same way.... you can buy the big cans in dogfood.

If ever in doubt, ask your vet.... you can even look at the store, grab a can from the catfood, and a can from the dogfood and check the ingreds and nutritional analysis.

NOTE: this is specifically for Before Grain canned..... (not any other brand.... most others have nutrients and such added which changes the nutritional analysis, and dog food is NOT recommended to feed to cats)

ETA: they don't make the quail version in dog food tho..... BG Catfood has chicken, salmon, tuna, quail, turkey and beef. BG Dogfood has Chicken, Salmon, Buffalo, Tripe, turkey and beef.