Medical update on my feral Cally

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's all booked to go in and get tested for FIV, FIP, FeLV, worms, etc. and get spayed on Thursday! That's going to be a big day for her!

Wish her luck!

As an aside, how long does it take to get results from those tests? I think she's too afraid still to add meeting the boys in the mix, but I'd still like to get things done fast, in case someone sneaks by me getting in the door or something. The little boogers can shake that door loose too if I haven't shut it properly, though I've been trying to make sure I do that. In fact, that's how Billy and Chay first met....

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
of combo testing the same day. I don't believe the test for FIP is very accurate. Hope all goes well. It is so hard waiting for results!

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by farleyv

of combo testing the same day. I don't believe the test for FIP is very accurate. Hope all goes well. It is so hard waiting for results!
I agree. There is a misconception that FIP can be tested for. To my knowledge the only thing they can test for is exposure to the corona virus & that most cats have been exposed to that virus. So be cautious about that test. Best of luck to her & to you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

I agree. There is a misconception that FIP can be tested for. To my knowledge the only thing they can test for is exposure to the corona virus & that most cats have been exposed to that virus. So be cautious about that test. Best of luck to her & to you.
That's what I had assumed too. I know that most cats get the virus without any kind of symptoms, and its some strange combination of genetics and environment that results in actual FIP. I've been told I should test for it anyways, but I'll talk to the vet on Thursday morning when I drop her off.

Oh, and she has picked up the litter box like a champ! The first day, I just moved her poop in like you would for a kitten because the potting soil trick hadn't occurred to me, and she pretty much nailed it from there. Such a smart little girl!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Good girl going in the litter box.

My vet always calls back the same day with the results of the tests. Usually it's less than an hour after I get home. The only delay would be if your vet has to send the tests out to a lab. Just ask when you get there so you don't have to sit around worrying.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sandtigress

That's what I had assumed too. I know that most cats get the virus without any kind of symptoms, and its some strange combination of genetics and environment that results in actual FIP. I've been told I should test for it anyways, but I'll talk to the vet on Thursday morning when I drop her off.

Oh, and she has picked up the litter box like a champ! The first day, I just moved her poop in like you would for a kitten because the potting soil trick hadn't occurred to me, and she pretty much nailed it from there. Such a smart little girl!
As long as you know about the virus that is good. I have just heard terrible stories of people putting cats down because they tested positive for the virus even though they had no symptoms. It just breaks my heart to think of healthy animals being put down just because they were exposed to a virus that might or might not mutate. The truth is most people have been exposed to Mono. I know this because my sister knows someone who was studying the virus & they were having a heck of a time finding control subjects who had never been exposed. We don't put people down because they might get Mono which can kill them. (I know it's not exactly the same, but you get my point).

She sounds like a smart girl! She just needed to know where you wanted her to go. Bless you for taking her in. She may not know it yet but she's a lucky girl.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^Actually I'd say it pretty much is the same. And shame on the vets for not explaining this better and letting animals be euthanized!

IMO, if a cat has been outside, it's not worth bothering to test for worms. They may not even find them in that particular sample but you can be almost certain an once outdoor kitty has them. I generally skip that one on a new cat and just have them wormed.

for Thursday. I assume pre-op blood tests, aside from the others, will be done, too?

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

for Thursday. I assume pre-op blood tests, aside from the others, will be done, too?
Yeah, I pretty much meant I would be treating her for worms. :p Unfortunately, the only room I have that isn't regularly visited is a spare, carpeted bedroom, and I know deworming can get...messy. I'm probably going to go and invest in some plastic tarps or something.

I'll talk to them about getting the pre-op blood tests, especially since I have no idea of her history, and I like getting baseline tests done. I got them done for Chay when he was neutered, so I'd like to get them for her too.

Thanks for the vibes guys!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yeah, I pretty much meant I would be treating her for worms. :p Unfortunately, the only room I have that isn't regularly visited is a spare, carpeted bedroom, and I know deworming can get...messy. I'm probably going to go and invest in some plastic tarps or something.
I've never had it be so.
Usually a pill dewormer like Drontal dries/destroys a lot of the worms and what it doesn't is just passes in stool like it normally is. There can be diarrhea, but as long as the kitty has decent litter box habits that won't be too bad.

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alrighty. We have her set for a blood panel, spay, vaccines, FeLV and FIV testing, fecal test to see if there are particular dewormers needed, a quick look for fleas and ticks - the works tomorrow!

This is going to cost me a fortune.
Welp, that's what savings are for!

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Alrighty. We have her set for a blood panel, spay, vaccines, FeLV and FIV testing, fecal test to see if there are particular dewormers needed, a quick look for fleas and ticks - the works tomorrow!

This is going to cost me a fortune.
Welp, that's what savings are for!
The fortune will be worth it the first time you see her realx in her home knowing she is safe, warm and fed!

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, and she is suuuuuch a sweet girl. She came out of hiding today and was all head-butts and purrs (not on me, but she would come close). I'm in love with her already, and my boys just adore her!

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, my hunch was right - the vet says she has a scar right where you would expect a spay scar to be, so they're not going to open her up. The fact that I hadn't seen her pregnant in the several months I had seen her outside made me think that she was probably already spayed by someone at some point in her life anyways. So until there's a reason to think otherwise, we will assume she was spayed.

Great news - the FeLV/FIV test is negative!
That means Cally will without doubt be a permanent resident in my home from now on!!

They estimate her at at least two years of age, and pulled a loose lower incisor while she was sedated. We're going to go ahead and get a baseline blood panel on her while she's out, and they've got a fecal test ready to see about treating for worms.

Man, Cally and I are lucking out with each other. She's got to be one of the easiest feral to domestic transitions ever! She's going to hate me when she gets home, but that's okay. I love this girl already.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's odd that she'd test FIV negative, but has been previously owned and cared for enough to be spayed. That would almost guarantee that she'd been vaccinated for FIV.

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That's odd that she'd test FIV negative, but has been previously owned and cared for enough to be spayed. That would almost guarantee that she'd been vaccinated for FIV.
I'm going to bet she was TNR'd by someone. She still acts very feral, so if she was owned by anyone, it was only for a brief while, I think.

I picked her up just a little while ago, and she's back in her room now. She's got hookworms (started a specific thread about that) and so she will be given some Drontal, but she's already out and about and sitting in her window right now.

She has a cute little bandage on one foot where they did the bloodwork, I'm guessing. I have no idea how I'm going to get that off.
I'm kind of hoping she handles that for me.

They're estimating her at about three years of age, so that still makes her the baby of my family.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe she's been on her own for quite a while? I'm hoping that's more the case, as it will be quicker to get her settled.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Not necessarily. My cats have not been vaccinated for FIV. They do not go outside & will never be exposed so why do the vaccination? My vet never even recommended it. I also believe the jury is still out on how well the vaccination works.

And TNR would explain the perfect little notch out of her ear.

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be. She seems to startle easily, but isn't completely afraid of humans. I used to be able to go out and pet her in my backyard when she would come by for food, and at least once she has come by specifically for petting - she had food in the bowl but was still "knocking" on the screen to get my attention, and she wasn't happy until I came outside.
Of course, that was her territory, and now she's on mine, but she's warmed up pretty fast.

Today, obviously, will probably be somewhat of a setback in her trust of me, but that's okay. I'm in no hurry. But I have to bring her back in three weeks for a booster for one of her vaccines, so hopefully we're around to liking each other more by then!

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

Not necessarily. My cats have not been vaccinated for FIV. They do not go outside & will never be exposed so why do the vaccination? My vet never even recommended it. I also believe the jury is still out on how well the vaccination works.

And TNR would explain the perfect little notch out of her ear.
Yeah, I don't think mine are vaccinated against FIV either. I know I turned down FeLV, since they don't go outside unless I'm out there with them, and they're on a harness and leash. I don't remember what exactly is in the vaccine combo that my vet uses, but we haven't specifically talked about FIV vaccination.