didnt get the job..vent

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
well today when i went in work i found out i didnt get the job i applied for about 2 weeks ago in the monetary department and i took it pretty hard. I tried not to be upset and i went out to my car on break and just started crying and couldnt go back in, i called my boss and told him i was leaving for the day ( hes cool with it no probs there).

Ive been in the call center industry my whole life, ive been call center super at the company i was at before i came to the place im at now. i took a huge paycut and then was promoted to super again, that didnt last long cause the dept i was in closed due to he economy, so i was forced to take a lower paying job in the same company, not because i was demoted, but i took it because i wanted to have a job and for the benefits, so it was back on the phones for me. A super position came up in my dept and i didn'tc get it but i took it like a trooper, and when this position for monetary came up i thought it was a great opportunity to get away from call center....i needed this change so bad.

ive been missing days from work left and right because i sit in a chair for 8 hrs repeating myself over and over, for a while it was OK, but ive been on the floor for over a year and im ready to lose it, a monkey can do this job and its quite degrading for me because i know im much smarter than that., but the company is really starting to make me feel worthless. My interview for the monetary Sup went great, i even gave fresh ideas in my interview and was able to answer all the test questions about being a SUP intelligently with all my exp, when i explained to her i needed a change and was very interested in the department she even said how she was in a dept similiar to mine doing the same thing over and over and felt she was capable of much more and totally related to me.

so i sat in my car crying my eyes out and called my BF and cried and cried and just sat there thinking what now?

i might just have to bite the bullett and go back to school and juggle a FT job at the same time cause i cant afford not to, i would go for surgical tech and its a 2 year degree but with having to work FT it would prob take longer and the next few years would be so hard, in the end it would pay off, but i think at this point im starting to realize i need to do something.

its just a real sad day, i really thought i had it, was hoping and praying id get it cause im so stressed in the dept im in idk how much longer i can last.

and now princess just puked on the floor from eating too much.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel your pain. I have a college degree and nearly 30 years of work experience.. and I am struggling to find a job. I have begun to investigate going back to school myself and learn as much as I can about the Web, social media marketing, SEO, etc. Otherwise, I am a dinosaur in my profession. Or maybe I should just leave my profession and do something completely different. I don't know what, tho'.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*hugs*

I'm sorry you didn't get the job

But look at this from a positive side. It's got you thinking about returning to school to further your education so that you can get an even better job! I think that school is a very viable option for you. It will be hard, but believe me, the end result is definitely worth the effort!!!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

*hugs*

I'm sorry you didn't get the job

But look at this from a positive side. It's got you thinking about returning to school to further your education so that you can get an even better job! I think that school is a very viable option for you. It will be hard, but believe me, the end result is definitely worth the effort!!!
I was thinking exactly this

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear you didn't get the job
Going back to school will open up many avenues for you though! I'm trying to juggle my FT+ job and finding time to go back to school.

I also went through a similar situation in 2007 at the company I currently work at. I was in a bottom-of-the-totem-pole job as a support technician, basically returning and pulling samples for lab technicians. I HATED it. At first it was fine because I was at the company I wanted to be at and knew I'd be applying for better jobs. My boss was totally against me learning any other area of the company, although at night my husband would train me how to do things in his part of the lab (as he was planning on leaving soon) and my now-team leader used to show me how to do stuff in the job I'm in now. Every time I'd apply to move up, I'd get rejected, even though I knew so many aspects of how to do the job. I applied 6 times for different positions before I finally broke down, went to HR and told them it was ridiculous and if I were to be stuck in that horrid position for good, then I was giving my notice. They knew when I got hired I planned on becoming a lab tech, not stay in the crappy job I was in - it was a starting point. When I applied for all 3 positions posted, I got hired for the job I'm in now. My boss says he regrets not hiring me sooner. I spent a year in the crap job before getting over here, but the persistence was worth it.

I do know how frustrating it is though when you want something so bad, and many-a-times I called Rob crying, wanting to quit, and leaving early for the day.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how you feel. After by prior job downsized our office the first time I was lucky to be in the right department, but any chances for advancement went out the window. One new position was created and even though I had more seniority, experience and a college education it went to a person who whined about what she was currently doing and once i that position which was supposed to be in a rotation, well that never happened.

I was seriously considering quitting before it was announced that my office was closing. Stuck around for the 16 months before the office closed to get the seperation benefits and I marked every day off on the calendar.

Mentally I'm much better off despite financially making alot less money.

Hang in there someone is bound to realize your potential!

breellablue

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I also missed getting a 'new' job this week. I've been dreaming of working at the zoo since I was little... and last week for the second year in a row I was passed up for a seasonal position.

it sucks so badly. I currently work in food service and I HATE it. I hate the food, I hate the utensils I hate the people who come to buy the food. and I feel trapped. I feel like I will never get out of working with food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
thanks everyone

when im in a more calm state about everything im going right into HR to have a sit down talk with someone. In my rejection letter it also says i was free to contact the hiring manager about my rejection, im going to do that as well.

i might just call off today and get the most out of things, if you leave early or call off its considered an unplanned absence, but if its 2 consecutive days in a row it only counts as 1 "occurance" so i may as well right?? also im either going to get use out of this day by going to the dr. or ER, my lower back has been killing me soooooo bad that its aweful, ibuprofen isnt helping and its getting worse.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you didn't get the promotion, but my worry is your back problems. I work in a call center too (4+ years now) and I ended up with bulging disks. If you back is hurting that much, have the doctor do a cat scan on your back to see what's going on. Sitting on our butts for 8 hours takes a big toll one our backs. Especially when we are basically "chained" to our computer.

There are actually excercises that can help while your sitting at your desk, but they do look a little weird.

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
update:

i took advantage of my day off and did end up going to the ER for my back, they did x rays and said everything looked perfect. i told her i was in horrific pain and couldnt take it anymore, she gave me a shot of torodol and gave me a script of flexeril until i could see my doc. Well i seen my doc and only had to use the flexeril for about 3 days. i think it was just a nasty pulled muscle but the back is fine now.

i also applied for 4 other positions in the company and i interviewed for one yesterday. its in the skip tracing/collections dept, and i went on the interview totally not caring and thinking i wasnt going to like it. Well it turns out the interview with the super went great and then she let me sit with a collector to see how its done, and then i met with the director and felt totally comfortable with him and he seemed interested in me as well for a future supervisor.

i know i been saying i wanted to get away from collections and i was sick of the phones all together but i really like how in that dept you are not on an automatic dialer and you get to do some skip tracing work and attempt collections. Ive basically been either a collector or collection super my whole life.

i still have a few other jobs in the company im waiting to interview for. If i get a job offer for both skip tracing and the other job of customer research i applied for its going to be a tough decision. ill either stay with collections cause its in my comfort zone and i know i can advance quickly, or i will have a change of heart and try something totally different....so i will keep everyone posted.

Oh and i wrote the woman who interviewed me for the monetary position i didnt get a real polite email asking for some feedback and its been about a week now and she hasnt even had the common courtesy to shoot me an email back, prob someone i wouldnt have wanted to work with anyway!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Years ago I did a bit of skip tracing at my job. Its kinda fun and being a detective to find the person with the stuff they are not paying for. One has to be persausive on the phone to try to get more info on the customer.

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

Years ago I did a bit of skip tracing at my job. Its kinda fun and being a detective to find the person with the stuff they are not paying for. One has to be persausive on the phone to try to get more info on the customer.
totally fun and yes...i love how its the challenge of how you act on the phone to get the info, super nice, and playing super dumb and asking for help has always worked great for me.