My Three Cats & Me - the saga continues (long)

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The pitch: This is less a story about three cats than it is one goofy owner.

The cast of characters: Moose is nine and Lucy is six. My third cat Rocky is ten, and all three have have lived together for six years. They're all fixed, healthy and strictly indoor cats. Rocky is the "alpha" cat. I always have a two Feliway Diffusers running and have plenty of cat trees.

The plot: Moose (the orange tabby) is somewhat high strung and easily takes offense (hisses/growls) when approached suddenly. Lucy (the torbie)just wants to play, and hasn't yet learned she has to take it slowly and not be so aggressive, or just give up on Moose altogther. They have had some "spats", mostly not physical, just verbal sparring, but Moose gets his "panties in a wad" and sometimes has to be separated from Lucy until he calms down. Rocky stays out of it (smart boy).

The sub plot: This situation is making me a nervous nut. When I come home from work I expect to find the bloody remnants of a fight. Logically, I know that's probably crazy, and it's never happened, but I let my emotions get the best of me and find myself following them around to make sure nothing escalates. I know they can sense my anxiety and I'm not helping the situation.

My sister, who's had cats forever, tells me they "have to work it out themselves and the fact they've been togther for six years and no one's been hurt yet should tell you something" and I know she's right, but I know it's not good to let cats "fight it out" and that's what I'm afraid might happen.

It's odd that I don't get this worked up over anything else; it's probably a good thing I don't have human children!

I guess I'm seeking assurance or advice from more experienced cat owners to get my mind on the right track.

Thanks

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I second that you might want to post this in behavior, maybe a moderator can move it for you...that being said, what you describe is not all that uncommon. Keep everyone's nails clipped and make sure there is adequite territory (don't forget vertical territory counts too!).

If you haven't read "Cat Vs Cat" or "How to think like a cat" by Pam Bennett-Johnson, I highly recommend both books. Good luck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JellyBella

I second that you might want to post this in behavior, maybe a moderator can move it for you...that being said, what you describe is not all that uncommon. Keep everyone's nails clipped and make sure there is adequite territory (don't forget vertical territory counts too!).

If you haven't read "Cat Vs Cat" or "How to think like a cat" by Pam Bennett-Johnson, I highly recommend both books. Good luck
I do have both those books - and many more. I guess this is more an issue of human behavior than cats.