Just a vent.... re: Wellness

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, my baby kittens weren't eating much food so I went and bought one of the little tins of wellness, $1.59 for 3oz...which I never buy due to it being $3.19 for the big can.

Sure enough, the little buggers gobbled it up

I'm still going to try some other brands, I bought a tin of chicken soup for them as well.

But I'm definately going to get another can of Wellness. I want the kitties to eat.

Why oh why do they have to pick the most expensive food, to like?

ugggggggggg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL..... it was the 2nd food I tried.

and of course, the kitten food does not come in the large cans.... even more UGGGGGGGGGGG.

I bought a few others today, Chicken soup for the kitten, felidae, and Max Cat kitten. At least they come in the 5.5oz.... Wellness kitten I can only get in the 3oz.

Keeping my fingers crossed that they will like something else.

Wellness kitten, 3oz: 1.59
Chicken soup, 5.5oz: 1.49
Felidae, 5.5oz : 1.59
Nutro Max Cat, 5.5oz: 1.39

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

LOL..... it was the 2nd food I tried.

and of course, the kitten food does not come in the large cans.... even more UGGGGGGGGGGG.

I bought a few others today, Chicken soup for the kitten, felidae, and Max Cat kitten. At least they come in the 5.5oz.... Wellness kitten I can only get in the 3oz.

Keeping my fingers crossed that they will like something else.

Wellness kitten, 3oz: 1.59
Chicken soup, 5.5oz: 1.49
Felidae, 5.5oz : 1.59
Nutro Max Cat, 5.5oz: 1.39
Do you have Petsmart in there? What about Authority? Pretty decent, very affordable - here $.67 for a 5.5oz can...

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's to funny, i didn't even know they made a kitten wet i just use whatever
i never even thought to check for kitten wet... since he eats off of everybody's plates anyways

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Do you have Petsmart in there? What about Authority? Pretty decent, very affordable - here $.67 for a 5.5oz can...
Not in town, and at the price of gas, it would probally break even

I just find it amusingly annoying that of course, they gobble Wellness up... but we'll see with the other brands that I bought to try.

I just want them eating regularly and putting on weight

meowqueensdaddy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can totally sympathize... my two, with their different eating habits and Zero's issues with lots of brands of food, needed a good quality grain-free dry food. The only one they'd both eat, and that Zero wouldn't get runny stools from, was Core, from wellness...

dwmeowmix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

So, my baby kittens weren't eating much food so I went and bought one of the little tins of wellness, $1.59 for 3oz...which I never buy due to it being $3.19 for the big can.

Sure enough, the little buggers gobbled it up

I'm still going to try some other brands, I bought a tin of chicken soup for them as well.

But I'm definately going to get another can of Wellness. I want the kitties to eat.

Why oh why do they have to pick the most expensive food, to like?

ugggggggggg
Have you tried Natural Balance? Good solid food. 100% natural, no by-products or preservatives. Slightly less expensive than Wellness but some variaties include grains. You'll have to be sure to check the labels. I keep it around in case I forget to thaw out their raw food or go on vacation.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DWMeowMix

Have you tried Natural Balance? Good solid food. 100% natural, no by-products or preservatives. Slightly less expensive than Wellness but some variaties include grains. You'll have to be sure to check the labels. I keep it around in case I forget to thaw out their raw food or go on vacation.
Thats the limited ingred one right? Duck and pea?

If so, I did look at it, but was not impressed with the fat content....low % fat, and these are 6wk old kittens.

The store I shop at, seems to be limited on kitten food. I believe there was:

Wellness, Chicken Soup, Performatrin, Nutro Max Cat, S/D. They have others that are all stages like BG, NB, Felidae, and Merricks.

Then of course are the brands I won't buy.

Thanks for the suggestion tho

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
kitten food in wet is usually limited to one or two flavors
makers think kittens dont have taste yet or something...

yes cats can read PRICE labels lol and will of course pick the $$$, keep trying

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, you can't really blame them. Wellness is one of the few brands that actually looks and smells appealing to me.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
at least your cats will eat Wellness
Mattie and Chloe won't eat it. Henry will eat it but he eats anything. With Mattie and Chloe, the healthier the food...the less the like it.

dojo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently discovered that my little guys' favorite cat food is more than fifty cents cheaper per 5.5 oz can at Amazon (when I buy a case) than it is at my local pet food store. I want to support my local business, but when I can pay $1.35 instead of $1.89 per can, I am inclined to do so!

I just have to make sure I plan in advance so I can opt for the free (slower) shipping and not run out of food before it gets here. It usually only takes three or four days.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I fed my cats Wellness when they were kittens and they seemed to really like the flavor of it as well. They are six and almost six now. At the time I was using it, it was about the same price as the other higher end premiums. I looked at the price a few months ago and it is definitely much more expensive then the other higher end premiums.

dwmeowmix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Thats the limited ingred one right? Duck and pea?

If so, I did look at it, but was not impressed with the fat content....low % fat, and these are 6wk old kittens.

The store I shop at, seems to be limited on kitten food. I believe there was:

Wellness, Chicken Soup, Performatrin, Nutro Max Cat, S/D. They have others that are all stages like BG, NB, Felidae, and Merricks.

Then of course are the brands I won't buy.

Thanks for the suggestion tho
Sorry, I didn't realize we were talking about kittens. They do also have Venison & Green Pea but I don't know about fat content. I buy for older cats

mellow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is it possible to add some then to the food to make them more incline to eat some then more afforable. I know of many cats that love brewer yeast.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I understand completely. Merricks was the only wet either Bijou or Mika would eat and then only 2 flavours - no fish or seafood. At $1.69 per 3.5 ounce can I can honestly say they are driving me to the poor house.
They are just lucky I love them as much as I do.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nora loves Wellness also, and up until recently wouldn't eat anything else. I finally got her to eat Nutro Natural Choice and she likes that one for the most part, but not as much as Wellness. Natural Choice has 3 different kitten flavors, and the ingredients are pretty good. Such as, this is what is in the Chicken and Lamb Kitten Form:

Chicken Broth, Chicken, Chicken Liver, Beef Liver, Lamb, Cod, Ground Rice, Turkey, Rice Bran, Dried Egg Product, Wheat Gluten, Guar Gum, DL-Methionine, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Carrageenan, Taurine, Sodium Ascorbate (Source of Vitamin C), Ferrous Sulfate, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Oxide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Proteinate, Manganous Sulfate, Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Potassium Iodide, Biotin, Sodium Selenite.

opilot

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you looked into the Blue Buffalo? They have a high protein no grain diet = potato for starches plus lots of high quliaty proteins. I have my IBD kitty on it, he is wheat, corn and soy intolerant and cannot eat wet with guar gum or wheat gluten in it either....

Blue's Wilderness is about 10 dollars for a 5 lb bag I think. Not terribly costly compared to some of the others non grains. (Can't get Wellness in my hood,
have to go online for it.) I also use their wet foods - they make a decent
wet for kittens also I think. (can't confirm that).

They have a couple of other lines of dry and wet, besides the Wilderness (supposed to be higher in protein like the cats natural diet, lower in fats and rich in antioxidents. Seems to work fine for Snorkle.

Most all of mine eat Friskies without problem, luckily. In fact, the
dry chow only kitty won't touch Wilderness, she wants her junky dry
food - sigh.

wingss2fly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use a good dry, and give caned food a couple times a week only. Per my vets request. His feeling is if I need a wet food for giving a med or for a illness. I have one cat who will NOT eat wet. So I try to make sure the dry is good qualty, not a bunch of corn and grains, and not a by-product food. The Blue Spa gave one cat the runs so we stoped that, EVO gave everyone the runs, So now I use Castor Pollux Naturalmix. They have bannan chips in it, funny huh...but all my cats love them, I have used the Castor Pollux organix. They were okay with it. But this is the ONE food that doesn't bother anyones tummy.
VERY important.
Good luck