Just adopted a ten month old...switching food

jenwales

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Her name is Lily and she is a sweetheart. She's a skinny sweetheart who was apparently raised on Friskies dry and that's all she'll eat.

We have another cat (Jack) who eats only Wellness and Avoderm canned. Lily shows no interest at all in canned food. She sniffs it and walks away. I'm ok with feeding her dry but not Friskies!

What's the best way to switch her over? I intend to try to switch her to Evo. The only dry I had on hand was the Science Diet the rescue sent us home with and California Natural which I keep for Jack when we go away overnight. She wouldn't eat either.

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no advice! I tried to switch Cammy from Purina to Wellness dry and gave up! She would pick out the purina pieces out of her purina/wellness mixture! I watched her take a mouthful, spit it on the floor and eat the purina pieces! She does eat wellness wet though, so I'm fine with feeding her purina dry.

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I guess i would try something a little more run of the mill before going straight from grocery to high end :shrug:

Isn't purina naturals supposedly fairly good? we don't have it in this country but since it's also purina she maybe more willing to try it...

I think this transition will require alot of patience and time

good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenwales

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by followedbydolls

I guess i would try something a little more run of the mill before going straight from grocery to high end :shrug:

Isn't purina naturals supposedly fairly good?
Well duh, that makes complete sense! I think in my zeal to ensure good nutrition I overlooked the obvious.
Thanks! It may be a slower process than I planned, but that's ok.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I got Kizzy, he was eating Whiskas adult....I switched him over to Taste of the wild by doing 75% Whiskas 25% TOTW for a week, then 50/50, then 25/75. At first he refused to eat the TOTW and just picked out the whiskas.... I would NOT refill his bowl until it was empty.... yes he went a little hungry.. then his hunger got the best of him and he'd eat it.

So you may have to show tough love.

As well, I'm going to disagree with the OP about switching from grocery to high end. IMHO, its easier on their systems to switch once rather than multiple times. As long as you take it slow, your kitty should be fine making the switch from Friskies to Evo.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

When I got Kizzy, he was eating Whiskas adult....I switched him over to Taste of the wild by doing 75% Whiskas 25% TOTW for a week, then 50/50, then 25/75. At first he refused to eat the TOTW and just picked out the whiskas.... I would NOT refill his bowl until it was empty.... yes he went a little hungry.. then his hunger got the best of him and he'd eat it.

So you may have to show tough love.

As well, I'm going to disagree with the OP about switching from grocery to high end. IMHO, its easier on their systems to switch once rather than multiple times. As long as you take it slow, your kitty should be fine making the switch from Friskies to Evo.
the later part is all dependent on the cat ... some do well with one switch while others do best on the gradual plan

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

When I got Kizzy, he was eating Whiskas adult....I switched him over to Taste of the wild by doing 75% Whiskas 25% TOTW for a week, then 50/50, then 25/75.
Gizmo was on Iams when we got him and I also switched to TOTW after reading all the satisfactory comments on the board. So far he really likes it but I switched gradually just as you did.

newkitten0309

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Domino is 9 weeks old tomorrow. He came to me eating Purina adult dry food. I bought Purina kitten food and mixed it with Wellness kitten food. He spits out the Wellness and refuses to eat it.

I then bought Max Cat kitten dry and mixed it with the Purina and he is eating it all up.

I also serve a couple of tablespoons of canned food per day, as well.

It just goes to show that each kitty has his own likes and dislikes.