Ideal Protein %

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Since i have quite a few dry cat foods on the go at the moment can we discuss the ideal % for the protein levels?

From what i have alway grasped 30% is the min, yet i notice alot of indoor formulas drop protein to less than 30%

I noticed even grocery brands tout higher protein levels than some of the more upgraded foods ie; ones not available at your local supermarket

For instance i notice my female is opting for the chicken soup kitten vs the adult as of late, it is higher in protein 34% vs the 30% found in the regular adult, she is a lean cat by nature so i am not concerned about the slight fat % differences but more curious on the ideal protein levels i should be looking at.

thanks.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you look for a high level of protein I feed Taste of the Wild which is 42% protein and Diamond Naturals Active Cat which is 40% protein--kitten food is almost higher in protein than regular adult and indoor is almost always lower than regular adult. I think Sharky has mentioned the closer to 40% the better however that usually means a grain-free which doesn't work for every cat--UTI health etc.

Leslie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jack31

I think you look for a high level of protein I feed Taste of the Wild which is 42% protein and Diamond Naturals Active Cat which is 40% protein--kitten food is almost higher in protein than regular adult and indoor is almost always lower than regular adult. I think Sharky has mentioned the closer to 40% the better however that usually means a grain-free which doesn't work for every cat--UTI health etc.

Leslie
Thanks, yeah they will not touch a grain free, i have tried them all
not sure if i can get diamond naturals? i'll have to have a look into that since they like the CS..

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by followedbydolls

Thanks, yeah they will not touch a grain free, i have tried them all
not sure if i can get diamond naturals? i'll have to have a look into that since they like the CS..
Chicken soup is made by diamond so you should be able to get it where you get the CS..

For most cats I like about 40% but 32 and up IMHO is decent enough for every day for a young cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Chicken soup is made by diamond so you should be able to get it where you get the CS..

For most cats I like about 40% but 32 and up IMHO is decent enough for every day for a young cat
Thanks, well the store directory only lists a place that had gone out of business

i guess i will have to enquire at the places that sell CS whether they can get the naturals line?