Star Trek Movie-What'd ya think?

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wasn't an original fan. Voyager was the one that was around when I was a kid and my dad watched all of the star treks they made, even that horrible most recent one. But I thought it was totally awesome. It was funny. The action scenes were fun. None of the actors were terrible, most of them were really good! The guy that played Kirk was good! Plus really cute, and very funny too!

I'm sure I wouldn't have enjoyed so much though if I was a fan of the original. Like Harry Potter movies...I see 'em...but IMO there is NO way they could ever do the books justice.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've grown into being a Trek fan; I was about 10 y/o when the original series aired and I didn't like it at all.
We saw the movie yesterday, and while I had some issues with a few details, I enjoyed it. I especially liked Spock, Bones, and Scotty. I was very disappointed in the story line concerning Spock's mother (trying not to give anything away here). I liked the Kirk character, I guess, but I thought they made him a little TOO much of a rebel.
I do think the Trek series (all of them, not just this movie) rely a little too much on 'alternate reality' and time travel to explain things that don't really add up. Again, don't want to give anything away, but the Spocks have a conversation was a little weird. Oh yeah, alternate reality and time travel explain it all.

Enjoyable movie, tho.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've always been a fan of Star Trek. We went to see the movie last night and thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I've always been a fan of Star Trek. We went to see the movie last night and thoroughly enjoyed it.
That's great! I've heard a lot of original fans have had problems with it.

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My fiancee and I are Star trek fans. We've both seen all the movies. He has seen every episode as well (he's a nerd)
. However, we are waiting to see it until next weekend. We both hate packed theaters. We can't wait!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm planning to see it this weekend!
Very much looking forward to it, as I have always been a Star Trek fan. Very few movies get me out to the theatre these days, but this one will.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really enjoyed it! I'm not a Trekkie by any means, but from what I knew of the original characters, these guys all did the originals justice. I thought the young Spock was very impressive! All the actors themselves were excellent, and I LOVE JJ Abrams as a director, so I had high expectations of the quality of the movie, which were met.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
I am a fan of the original Star Trek series and absolutely loved the movie.
I love the fact that they really kept the spirit of the original characters and the archetypes Roddenberry created and just updated them. The actors did a great job. We were actually debating afterwards if Karl Urban had been possessed by the ghost of DeForest Kelley - it was almost scary how well he played Bones... It was one of the only movies I've seen in the past few years where I didn't notice the time at all.

I think the reason a lot of original fans had issues is that they did break canon by re-writing a bit of backstory, but they did a great job so I have absolutely no issues with it.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I´m not a huge fan of S. T. but I have the 6 firts movies!...
I love it....

I should to wait that the movie arrives to mexico, so I can opinate then, it doesn´t arrive yet!...

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We were actually debating afterwards if Karl Urban had been possessed by the ghost of DeForest Kelley - it was almost scary how well he played Bones.
I agree completely. When he said, "Dammit, I'm a doctor, not a physicist" (or something to that effect) DH & I just grinned at each other.

Also, the sight of the Enterprise arriving in the nick of time always brings a smile to my face.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Saw the movie this weekend and loved it! It had a lot of comedy, too; and with the special effects it was really worth seeing in the theatre.

Originally Posted by Ms. Freya

...We were actually debating afterwards if Karl Urban had been possessed by the ghost of DeForest Kelley - it was almost scary how well he played Bones...
What a great way to put it! He was incredible! Karl Urban is quickly becoming one of my favorite actors.

vampcow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I saw it on Saturday and it was AWESOME. My parents who are huge fans really liked how the young actors miniced the charaterictics of the orginals. It totally made them believable. Bones was awesome I almost died laughing when he told Spock he was a green bloodied hobgoblin!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

What a great way to put it! He was incredible! Karl Urban is quickly becoming one of my favorite actors.
I've loved Karl Urban since Lord of The Rings! I think he's fantastic

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not a diehard fan either (that would be the SO), but I'm glad I went to see it; it was really fun. I agree that the actor playing young Spock did a great job.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by motoko9

I'm not a diehard fan either (that would be the SO), but I'm glad I went to see it; it was really fun. I agree that the actor playing young Spock did a great job.
That's Zachary Quinto, he plays Sylar on Heroes and is my current celebrity crush

I cannot wait to see this movie!!!! I'm meeting my friend for lunch and a movie in 2 weeks especially to see this

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw it on Saturday night with DH. He's a Star Trek fan from the original Captain Kirk days. I'm not really. We both loved the movie, though.

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

That's Zachary Quinto, he plays Sylar on Heroes and is my current celebrity crush

I cannot wait to see this movie!!!! I'm meeting my friend for lunch and a movie in 2 weeks especially to see this
Rob and I hope to see this movie soon. Rob is the trekkie, I am not. But I'm sure I'll enjoy the movie.

I also love Zachary! I'm so glad I started watching Heroes. He's great and scary and creepy as Sylar!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like most movies, and I'm not a hard-core Trekkie, but I loved this movie. It's well-written, action-packed without being overwhelming, and scientific enough to satisfy my inner nerd without being boring. And all of the actors were cute
. I have to buy/rent it when it comes out on DVD so I can understand the whole time-travel thing better.