Sphynx cat for sale

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I saw this ad in the IWANNA paper today (it's a local paper listing all kinds of things for sale). It went something like this "Sphynx cat for sale $400.00. He bit my daughter. He has got to go." How stupid are people to think that animals don't bite. Their daughter probably did something to provoke being bitten. These people would never make it a day with Daisy! I have a feeling the only reason this poor cat is being sold rather than sent to the pound is because it was probably so expensive to begin with that they are trying to cut their losses. What idiots!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will post this in the sphynx group.
Most good breeders take their sphynx back if something happens.
If that cat came from a breeder they shoud be contacted.
Do you have any more info on this?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wish I had taken down the phone # - I was reading the advertisement at my parents' house. I remember the number was a 336 area code, which I believe would place the cat around Winston-Salem. I will try to pick up an IWANNA paper this evening and PM the phone number to you. Thanks for your help.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did get some private replys in the sphynx group.
You should try to find out where it came from.
Imagine if someone buys it and nows nothing about sphynx.

sahara

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ofcourse cats bite, along with lots of animals who have that instinct in their nature! Thats the guys first dumbness in his ad! But hes also dumb on a second point : very few people are going to buy a cat that is known for "biting the kids!"...OR is he really as dumb as he seems? It kinda brings up the question of "is this guy selling this animal for "other" purposes? Like maybe animal testing or soemthing? Maybe to have tests done on this certain species etc? I dont know, maybe im jsut paranoid !!! but it doenst look like hes aiming for a family to take him in...There are people like you and me who are well aware of an animals nature,and can actually go and check the animal out and give him a chance and take him in, but considering that there are a lot of people who take in kittens when their cute and cuddly and leave em to shelters when theyve matured and dont look so cute anymore i dont think there will be too many volunteers for a child biting cat!
If that guy really jsut wanted to have this cat get out of hid hands to anyplace, he woudlve jsut said "verry loving cat, but could not afford, looking for family"...

Somebody pinch me and tell me im paranoid?

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does that ad say the age of the cat?
Did it really bite the kid or was he play biting?
Some one should find out if the cat came from a breeder or some where else?

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It irritates the heck out of me when parents say things like this. Wow, really, an animal that bites?! Wow, I thought all animals become just like humans with a human thought process as soon as people bring them home!

Parents need to teach their kids how to respect, and how to react around animals. If an animal bites a kid, itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s the parentâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s fault plain and simple. I absolutely hated it when I saw cats being brought to the SPCA or put down because they bit some kid. I wish parents would realize that because they donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t know how to teach their kids the proper way to handle an animal they are the reason an animal had to be put down. I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t know how anyone can live with himself or herself knowing that.

Sorry, this really ticks me off, I know this cat wasnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t put down but itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s the same thing. People can be so dense. This hits a soft spot if any of you remember my story with "Smokey" the cat, put down because he bit a child.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BaloneysMom

It irritates the heck out of me when parents say things like this. Wow, really, an animal that bites?!
Everyone who posted the above thought.... I totally agree, and although this is not related to cats.... everyone asks me if my snakes bite. My answer:

"Anything with a mouth CAN bite".

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

Everyone who posted the above thought.... I totally agree, and although this is not related to cats.... everyone asks me if my snakes bite. My answer:

"Anything with a mouth CAN bite".
Including people!!!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

exactly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's why I say "anything" with a mouth...human, animal, reptile....
Yeah, but Chris... some people REAAAAAALLLLY "bite!!!"

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Yeah, but Chris... some people REAAAAAALLLLY "bite!!!"

dohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

(could be taken 2 ways..... I took it the opposite way that you meant
)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I did get some private replys in the sphynx group.
You should try to find out where it came from.
Imagine if someone buys it and nows nothing about sphynx.
I sent you a PM with the phone number of the person who placed the ad. If you would pass it along to the sphynx group, it would be appreciated. I was once offered a free show quality Chinese Crested dog because he was jealous of a new baby. I do not know the owners, but we have a mutual friend. They did not want the dog to go to just anybody and I'm a good home (don't mean to brag, but it's true.) Though I did not take him, I located a toy rescue group in SC that had someone who had been waiting on a Chinese Crested for a long time. I hope things work out for the sphynx cat, as well. I am not very familiar with the breed, but I know they have special needs for skin care. This is not fair on so many levels, from the owner expecting the cat to act like a person to advertising him like he is some villian that no one with children would want to bring home. Thanks for your help.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sigh... must be contagious -been PMing with Jacky about a poster on the Detroit CL site trying to "rehome" two Sphynxes - male and female - CL is for rehoming pets with a nominal fee involved to ensure a good placement.

These clowns are asking $1,000!

Yes, I am sure they paid alot for those cats, but they are not supposed to try to recoup their costs on the animals on CL. Maybe some vet costs, etc.

I feel sorry for the puddies.

That's not rehoming - that's selling ... to the highest bidder.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will pm both of you back soon.
Sphynx get oily and need baths.
Their ears and eyes have to be cleaned also.
Good breeders do not let thier cats go to anyone.
Keep getting phone calls and ims.
They have no right charging 1000 for sphynx on craigs list.
Maybe its a bad breeder because 1 is not fixed.
Are you going to go there to see what they look like?

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I will pm both of you back soon.
Sphynx get oily and need baths.
Their ears and eyes have to be cleaned also.
Good breeders do not let thier cats go to anyone.
Keep getting phone calls and ims.
They have no right charging 1000 for sphynx on craigs list.
Maybe its a bad breeder because 1 is not fixed.
Are you going to go there to see what they look like?
If I go there and see them, then what? I don't have 1000 dollars to get them.... or even 500. If they wanted to GIVE them to me...LOL!!!

I didn't know that BYBs did Sphynxes... I can only assume they got these cats through a less-than -reputable source. These people are hard up for money and this is a way to cut costs and possibly make a buck. They could sell them for that on kijiji. But don't you have to buy an ad on that site?

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was not telling you to buy those sphynx.
I just wanted you to check on them if they were near you.
There is a whole list of bad and good sphynx breeders.
You would not even want to know the terrible things I have heard.
These are the kind of breeders that do not care about the breed and only want a profit.
nurseangel,
I did find a male sphynx in the link you sent me but it wanted me to sign in to get more info.