Shrinking in height?

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, we were just measuring my DD, and I said she's 5'5.5"....I'm 5'4.5" and my husband said no way... I was off on Kendra's measurement. So we remeasured her, she's 5'5.5".....so we remeasured me... I am 5'3.5".

Ummmm, I lost an inch??????

I haven't been measured in a few years....but what the heck? I thought only older people shrunk. I'm turning 32 this month.

not sure what to think on that one. I don't care how tall I am, but to shrink???? I'm fairly confident that my measurement was correct at one point in time, as I've been measured at the Dr. office.

umm, any thoughts?

My hubby said something about making sure I tell my doc next time I go in.

jezmondo69

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i totally agree, i am only 27 and i was 5'10.5" at 17, and now im 5'9.5", and when i was about that age i was a size 9 foot, and now im only a 7?????

whats that all about eh? (twighlight zone music do do do do do do do do do do do do!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jezmondo69

i totally agree, i am only 27 and i was 5'10.5" at 17, and now im 5'9.5", and when i was about that age i was a size 9 foot, and now im only a 7?????

whats that all about eh? (twighlight zone music do do do do do do do do do do do do!)
hmmm, my feet haven't changed... I still have big feet for my height (size 8.5 - 9.5 depending on brand... or a men's 8)

I WANT my inch back LMAO.

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree about the feet, I use to wear a size 4-1/2 or 5 shoe about 15 years ago and now I wear a 5-1/2. I also lost an inch but not around my middle
I was 4'12" (there's those math skills!) but now 4'11". Must be gravity!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have back problems, correct? I've lost about half an inch since I was 17.

X-rays may show scoliosis and that space between disks has decreased. Have you had your vitamin D levels checked?

Feet could be spreading, swelling, and certain shoes being made/labeled smaller. I'm always the same size shoe in mens shoes, but for womens shoes it can vary from size 9 to 10 1/2.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

You have back problems, correct? I lost about half an inch since I was 17.

X-rays may show scoliosis and is space between disks has decreased. Have you had your vitamin D levels checked?

Feet could be spreading, swelling, and certain shoes being made/labeled smaller. I'm always the same size shoe in mens shoes, but for womens shoes it can vary from size 9 to 10 1/2.
My back issues are strictly muscular, not disk or spine related.

And no, I have not had my vit D levels checked.

It just freaked me out a bit earlier...now I'm calmer and have done some research about shrinkage. It's quite common, usually at a later age...but women between 30-70 shrink up to 2"

Studies show some people can lose between one and two inches between the ages of 30 and 70. However, people in their 30s tend to not notice the decrease in height. In their 50s and 60s is when it becomes obvious, researchers say. One study, conducted on men and women between the ages of 30 and 70, found that men lost an average of 1 1/4 inches and women lost two inches in their height. When the participants reached 80 years old, the loss had increased to two inches for the men and three inches for the women.
http://preventdisease.com/news/artic...hrinking.shtml

interesting....however I'm still going to mention it to my dr.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great

So when I start losing height, it will probably be from my spine. Which means I will have a shorter spine but still freakishly long arms and legs.

My shoe size has increased lately. In my teens and early 20s I used to be an 8/9 and now I am a 10/11 (I turn 30 this year) - getting old is not fun

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was measured when I was pregnant with my now 5 year old daughter (almost 6) and I was 5' 1.5" I was then measured a few months agi, and was only 4'11"
wierd huh?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
CATTYBIRD - 3" is quite a bit! Do they know specifically where it was lost from? If it's from your spine, hopefully that will be watched to make sure you don't end up with any serious arthritis. Have you been checked for osteoporosis?

Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

Great

So when I start losing height, it will probably be from my spine. Which means I will have a shorter spine but still freakishly long arms and legs.
Have you ever measured your arm span? From tip of one middle finger to the other? If you have, how's that compared to your height?

cattybird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

CATTYBIRD - 3" is quite a bit! Do they know specifically where it was lost from? If it's from your spine, hopefully that will be watched to make sure you don't end up with any serious arthritis. Have you been checked for osteoporosis?

Have you ever measured your arm span? From tip of one middle finger to the other? If you have, how's that compared to your height?
Strange wings. Nope, I've never been checked for osteoporis, (I can't even pronounce it,
), I'll talk to my doctor about it at my next appointment.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just go metric and it'll be in CM. You'll feel tall again!

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have heard that your height can vary slightly during the course of a day, but I don't know if that would account for a difference of more than an inch or so. Measure yourself in the morning and see if you like your height then!