Too young to brush?

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At what age should you start brushing your kitties? Is 6wks old too young? Should I use a comb or a brush? (I have a comb, a undercoat rake, and a slicker)

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think so. I plan on starting to brush the kittens at 6 weeks here as well as start cutting nails-- I want them to be ready for homes and well behaved!

Leslie

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would use one of those soft kitten brushes. Lola was quite underweight and had a thin coat when we caught her at 5 months old. We used one of those soft bristled "kitten" brushes on her at first. We use the same kind on my senior cat who is thin. Other brushes are uncomfortable for him.

Lola is over a year old now and we use grown up kitty brushes on her--she's got a long thick coat. I use a slicker or a comb on her now. She's mostly well behaved for brushing.

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just to get mine used to being brushed I started off young and used a baby hair brush
by the time they were older they didn't mind (and some even liked) being brushed

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the kitten is longhair, a small fine tooth comb would be best to get them used to being combed. While you might want to use a brush now, its not a good idea because as the hair gets longer, your kittens will get matted.

Those that show longhair cats, start kittens with combs and not brushes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

If the kitten is longhair, a small fine tooth comb would be best to get them used to being combed. While you might want to use a brush now, its not a good idea because as the hair gets longer, your kittens will get matted.

Those that show longhair cats, start kittens with combs and not brushes.
thanks
I will do that. I'm hoping they enjoy it.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can brush them but kittens don't usually shed that young. Jake just started shedding at 6-7 months. If their fur is really long you can brush them to prevent mats but otherwise I see no need.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

You can brush them but kittens don't usually shed that young. Jake just started shedding at 6-7 months. If their fur is really long you can brush them to prevent mats but otherwise I see no need.
Getting them used to it early
so they don't fight me on it and maybe enjoy it. So far they like it....

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anybody started brushing a cat young who then grew up to not like it?

I've started brushing Aya with a small flea comb when I found her (mostly 'cause she was filthy and flea ridden). She liked brushing/combing till about 2m/o and since you can't touch her with a brush or a nail cilpper with out a lot of complaining and bitting.

She's not that into being petted either. Despite my best efforts and lots of handling, she's turning into a 'don't touch me' unless I'm sleeping, scared of strangers, shy and skittish kind of cat.

She does like lots of playtime and nose kisses, and let's me handle her paw sometimes.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only longhair cats I see regular are those in the show ring. But most all Persians, Maines, etc. are pretty cooperative in grooming. I know the breeders have to be combing them at a very early age because they don't fight the grooming as adults.

I hear a lot more complaints about grooming longhair adults and its usually due to them not being groomed as kittens.