Cute snake story

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This happened a number of years ago. At a medium custody level prison, an officer cannot leave their post unattended for security reasons. For example, many years ago when Hurricane Hugo came roared through the Carolinas, they put our officers in riot gear and sent them to their assigned gun towers. (Heard it was pretty scary, too.)

Well, I was filling in at another prison this week and heard the story of an officer who was up in a tower and discovered that he was not alone: a snake was in there with him. A few minutes later, the Sgt. got a call from the officer.

"There's a snake in Tower Two!" The officer said.

"He's in there with you?" The Sgt. asked.

"No, he's in there by himself," the officer replied. "I just wanted to make you aware of it. I'm calling you from the dorm."

The officer had taken off, abandoning his post, when he saw the snake.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My mom is terrified of snakes. One day, their cats (then kittens) kept looking in the closet and jumping back. My mom thought they were just playing, so she left the closet door open and went about her business. Later that night, she saw a snake in the kitchen! As she watched, it slithered across the floor with the kittens hot on his heels (if snakes had heels, lol) and disappeared into a tiny hole beneath the cabinets. The hole was in the little used dining room side of the kitchen and no one even knew it existed. The hole lead to the basement. My dad wanted a good description of this snake.

"What kind of snake was it?" He asked.

"I don't know!" My mom answered.

"What color was it?" He asked.

"I don't know!" She replied.

"How big was it?" He asked.

"I DON'T KNOW!" She finally said, with disgust. "It was crawling!"

My dad plugged up the hole and I assume the snake escaped under the garage door downstairs. He was never seen or heard from again. Some day, I'll have to tell the story of the bat in the house,

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nurseangel

"What kind of snake was it?" He asked.

"I don't know!" My mom answered.

"What color was it?" He asked.

"I don't know!" She replied.

"How big was it?" He asked.

"I DON'T KNOW!" She finally said, with disgust. "It was crawling!"

Thx for the laugh.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's another funny one:

My ex's parents have a house in West Virginia too (they live in Maryland). His mother is so terrified of snakes, she won't even look at a picture of them in a book.

My ex supposedly was not afraid - never claimed he was. Well one time when we were up there - my ex sat and drank all nite till he was drunk and I was sleeping alone (fine with me as I didn't want him in bed with me) and he wound up sleeping on one of the couches downstairs.

Found out the next morning that there had been a snake in the couch (between the cushions). He would not sit or sleep on the couch again. I was laughing so hard when I found out......I think snakes are cool.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't mind them, either. And kudos to the snake in the couch

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Luckily, I don't have any real "good" snake stories (knock on wood...of course now I just jinxed myself
) but I can share my best friend's story.

She was living in rural PA at the time, and left her home with her 2 year old son in the car seat in the back. On the interstate, she noticed what looked like fingers coming out of her defrost vent on the dash board. One popped up in one spot, then another popped up in another spot. Finally, she pulled over on the shoulder because she thought she had something stuck in her vent. After spending a few minutes poking around with a pen trying to disloge it, another driver pulled over to see if she needed help.

He crawled down under the dash by the peddles and started moving things....then told her, very calmly..."Ma'am, get the baby out of the car and move away". He pulled out two baby snakes...turns out they were copperheads and were apparently playing "peek a boo" through the vents.

A few weeks later, her son kept running around the house all excited saying "sake! sake!". He was just learning to talk so she didn't really think anything of it until her husband was shaving one morning and felt something on his foot. He looked down to see a black snake making himself at home. Yeah, they moved shortly after that!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

He crawled down under the dash by the peddles and started moving things....then told her, very calmly..."Ma'am, get the baby out of the car and move away". He pulled out two baby snakes...turns out they were copperheads and were apparently playing "peek a boo" through the vents.
oh my gosh, how terrifying.

Makes me glad that we don't have any venomous snakes around to worry too much about.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are only 4 venomous snakes in the US - rattlesnake, copperhead, coral and water moccason (or cottomouth). If you know what these all look like, you will know if the snake you see is ok or not.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Forensic

Well, technically the guard post had someone up there to watch...

Can snakes handle guns?
I was wondering why an armed guard would be so afraid of a snake?!

Originally Posted by calico2222

Ok, that gave me the chills!

Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

There are only 4 venomous snakes in the US - rattlesnake, copperhead, coral and water moccason (or cottomouth). If you know what these all look like, you will know if the snake you see is ok or not.
Good to know info. I'd post pics but I don't want to freak people out so in the sake of self education, everyone who lives in the US should google these snakes so you'll know if you see one. To my knowledge the only ones in my area are cottonmouthes.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Are you just grouping them together?.... I know there's many different types of rattlesnakes that I thought were located in the US. (but then I think they all have 'rattles' so you wouldn't need to know what all of them looked like.. just stay away from rattlers)

It's always a good idea to familiarise yourself with the native species for your area
Especially if there's venomous reptiles... I wouldn't want to be out gardening, and come across one that I can't see a rattler on, go to push it outta the way and find it to be one of the many rattlers native to that area... too scary.

Ontario Canada has the Eastern Massasauga rattlesnake, it's designated as a threatened species.... but not commonly found in my area.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, and I forgot I had a story to add. Several years ago I lived with a house full of herps and various other critters. Most of them were of the legless variety though... including my baby burmese python. He was relatively small at the time and managed to escape his enclosure. We searched everywhere we could and even leashed out ferret and set him out in the basement holes to see if he could find the snake. No luck. He was only missing a few days but it was his reappearance that I love. I was lying in bed one morning and woke up to him wrapped around one of the irons on the headboard just looking at me flicking his tounge as it nothing was wrong. I elbowed by bf at the time and said "Hey, I found the burm." Calmly got up and put him back away.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

oh my gosh, how terrifying.

Makes me glad that we don't have any venomous snakes around to worry too much about.
Just one of several reasons I love living in "cold" Canada.