Pooka is preggers

badninjakitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all, I recently discovered that one of my cats has managed to get pregnant. I am very pro-spay, but unfortunately procrastinated a little too long in the neutering of my new male kitten. so, my in-door only female is now quite preggers. I was had a few questions and knew that this was definatly the place to ask them. I am not too sure how far along she is. I first noticed her looking extra pudgy about two weeks ago and her belly just keeps getting bigger and bigger. She is SUPER affectionate and LOVES it when we rub her belly! Her nipples have enlarged a little bit and seem to be kinda chaped. Is there anything I can do for that? I just want her to be comfortable. I first felt a kitten move two days ago. And now we are starting to be able to feel a little more movement. So, now for the questions: Do I need to take her to the vet or just let nature take it's course? How far along do you think she might be?
When do I need to set up a nesting box for her? Should I be feeding her something different from her normal food? and Is there anything I can do for her chapped nipples?
I skimmed through the stickies but I didn't see this info. I could have missed it and I apologize if I did. It has been a LONG time since I have been through the feline birthing process--a pregnant stray took up with my family when I was really young. So I don't know anything really from that time since I just remember being fascinated and not being aloud to touch the kittens. Thanks for all the info!! Oh and I do intend to have them both fixed so soon as it will be safe for her.

Again thanks all!!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
So this is where we say either congratulations!
or oops!

Usually it's about two weeks from the time you first feel the kittens move, but it still seems to be a guessing game. As long as her nipples aren't cracked or bleeding they probably aren't bothering her too much. You could put some lanolin on them if it bothers you.

Go ahead and make a birthing box for her now so she can get used to it. Then she may or may not choose to use it when the time comes.

Start feeding her kitten food now and continue it while she's nursing the kittens. She needs the extra nutrition for both herself and her babies.

Get the boy neutered NOW! And keep them separated until you can get Pooka spayed. Males cats can still impregnate females up to two months after they've been neutered. And females can get pregnant within a day or two after giving birth.

nursedoggett

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldyCat

Get the boy neutered NOW! And keep them separated until you can get Pooka spayed. Males cats can still impregnate females up to two months after they've been neutered. And females can get pregnant within a day or two after giving birth.
TOTALLY didn't know that! Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

badninjakitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldyCat

I didn't know that either!

breellablue

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I didn't know that about males... Weirdest I ever heard was a male at the Palm Beach Zoo in Florida who had to be neutered... four times. His testicles kept regrowing!

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Breellablue

I didn't know that about males... Weirdest I ever heard was a male at the Palm Beach Zoo in Florida who had to be neutered... four times. His testicles kept regrowing!
WOW! That is weird!

Well, Goldycat pretty much said everything... It's not necessary to take her to the vet, but you can if you want an approx. date due and the number of kittens...My guess is that she is about 7 weeks along...if you have pictures that you can post, that could help to.
Feed her kitten food, and more than usual(as much as she wants)
A nesting box is good, as she could have them any time(put it in a private area), and if you want, you can confine her to a room now.
Good luck!

Keep us updated on her!