Name the firm contest!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
10,000 points to whoever comes up with a name we submit to the firm;
50,000 points to someone if the firm decides to use it! (We have no vote in the final decision).

Well, since TCS was so helpful in helping us to name our research boutique, we figured we'd turn to you for help once again!

I can't tell you the existing name of the firm (a friend of ours owns it), but they've been around for about 15 years. It is a two word name that is the same as another firm - it's just one is an LLC and the other is an Inc. The "Inc." filed a lawsuit several years ago against the "LLC" (issues with finding each on the Internet when searching) and as the "LLC" isn't as well known (or as large) as the "Inc," so at this point they figure it's cheaper to change the name rather than keep fighting.

Here's as much of a description of the firm as I can give:

They are a broker dealer that provides a full range of services, however, they focus on raising capital for small businesses with growth prospects. They also have brokers that service high net worth individuals. It is a squeaky-clean firm with very strict hiring requirements. Technically it is not an investment banking boutique, but the firm does not offer research services (has no equity or debt analysts in the employee base).

So.... the Broker Dealer provides investment banking services to small companies (both private and already public) and has a broker network that sells that banking product and their own ideas to (pretty) rich individuals.

Of note, the firm is still located in the "Wall Street" area of New York City. Most firms have moved to mid-town. ...but anything with "Wall Street" in the name is already taken.

Names we thought of, like Sound Securities, Integrity Capital Partners, Anthem Brokerage, Excella (anything), Performance (anything), anything greek (Alpha, Omega, Delta, &etc.) is already gone... so we need help getting creative!

Laurie

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Capital Advisory Technicians, or CAT for short.

Seriously though, I'll give it some thought. Couldn't resist building a name off an acronym. I've named computer applications before and it usually starts in a bar, with a cocktail napkin, and an acronym you want to build on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Amy, I'm sure you can imagine just how many "Capital Advisory XXXXs" are out there!

But you're right - maybe backing into it is the best way.
Sadly, Gary and I can no longer drink.

"Navigation" anything is gone. Had that thought on the way to do the laundry....

Laurie

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK, Gary had some ideas, but we don't know how to translate them....

Mathematical expressions.

OR.... we have a great logo - interlocking puzzle pieces, with one piece not "in" - and the idea is solutions. So anybody know "Puzzle," "Solve" or "Solving" or "Solutions" in other languages for a name that may sound interesting?

Laurie

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK, forget the mathematical terms, they're gone. We're now looking into astrophysical stuff.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

OK, forget the mathematical terms, they're gone. We're now looking into astrophysical stuff.
Which path do you want to go down?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrophysics
Astrophysics (lang-el: Astro - meaning "stare", and lang-el: physis – φύσις meaning "nature") is the branch of astronomy that deals with the physics of the universe, including the physical properties (luminosity, density, temperature, and chemical composition) of celestial objects such as galaxies, stars, planets, exoplanets, and the interstellar medium, as well as their interactions. The study of cosmology is theoretical astrophysics at scales much larger than the size of particular gravitationally-bound objects in the universe.

Because astrophysics is a very broad subject, astrophysicists typically apply many disciplines of physics, including mechanics, electromagnetism, statistical mechanics, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, relativity, nuclear and particle physics, and atomic and molecular physics. In practice, modern astronomical research involves a substantial amount of physics. The name of a university's department ("astrophysics" or "astronomy") often has to do more with the department's history than with the contents of the programs. Astrophysics can be studied at the bachelors, masters, and Ph.D. levels in aerospace engineering, physics, or astronomy departments at many universities.
Lot of good buzz words (bolded).

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Amy, we're not looking for any particular path, just "interesting," and something that doesn't have "bad" connotations, or means like "becoming nothing" or anything along those lines.

So far, we've got:

(Dull, but not taken): Accumulation Capital (and the .com is available) This came about because we were looking up Accretion Capital (which is gone) - and decided to just search on the obvious.

Achromatic Capital

Mandelbrot Capital (although this kind of implies the firm is into commodities and technical analysis, which it isn't), and

Thales Capital. http://ancienthistory.about.com/od/p...s/g/Thales.htm

Our only requirement is that when searched on for XXXXXX Capital or XXXXXXXX Securities, nothing in the U.S. comes up, and some form (xxxxxcapital or xxxxxcapitalllc is available in .com ). The lawyers have to do the actual name registration search.

Laurie

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Anybody know of a word for a "Puzzle Solver?" Is there such a thing?

All we came up with is cryptologist... But Cryptologist Capital (and .com) are available. It works well... "Unlocking investment secrets" or something along those lines....

Laurie

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Anybody know of a word for a "Puzzle Solver?" Is there such a thing?

All we came up with is cryptologist... But Cryptologist Capital (and .com) are available. It works well... "Unlocking investment secrets" or something along those lines....

Laurie
That makes me think of the Crypt Keeper, but you know I have strange ways of connecting things like that.

I looked up Puzzle on www.Thesaurus.com, and looked at those, and since they have links to other synonyms it can lead to all sorts of new words.

My favorite is Perceptible. Perceptible Capital, Perceptible Securities. Still would work with the puzzle logo (which I think is a great visual!) Not as good (IMO) as Perceptible would be Decipher or Deciphered Capital, Securities, etc.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Perception Capital, hmmmm...........

As to Creative Capital - personally, I like it, but "creative," unfortunately, has some not-so-nice associations in this business.... as in "creative accounting."

But that is good, just on a different track - one that would have to do with Discovering, Uncovering, Finding.... guess I'll have to spend time on the thesaurus.

Laurie