TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › A minor quibble
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A minor quibble

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
OK, Mr. President.

If it's pahk-ee-stahn, then it's ahf-gahn-ee-stahn.

If it's af-gan-eh-stan, then it's pak-eh-stan.

Choose one or the other. Preferably the latter, because THOSE are the English pronunciations of those two countries.

You don't say pear-ee.

You don't say juh-nev.

You don't say barth-ay-low-nah.

Speak English, man, and stop trying to impress people.
post #2 of 16
Hehe...he sounds like the fancy dandy trying to order "Mur-lot" from the wine list.
post #3 of 16
And I'll never get over nuke-lee-are.
post #4 of 16
I was just talking to Jim earlier this week about the same exact thing.
post #5 of 16
What about Tally-Ban
post #6 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momofmany View Post
And I'll never get over nuke-lee-are.
Actually, nuke-lee-are is correct.

It's nuke-u-lar that is "wrong." And yes, it annoyed me. But even Dianne Rehm had experts in the field who pronounced it that way. Every time they did, I called in to point it out, but they wouldn't let me on the air!
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
Actually, nuke-lee-are is correct.

It's nuke-u-lar that is "wrong." And yes, it annoyed me. But even Dianne Rehm had experts in the field who pronounced it that way. Every time they did, I called in to point it out, but they wouldn't let me on the air!
Too much time on one's hands is the way I see it. Sheeeesh
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
OK, Mr. President.

If it's pahk-ee-stahn, then it's ahf-gahn-ee-stahn.

If it's af-gan-eh-stan, then it's pak-eh-stan.

Choose one or the other. Preferably the latter, because THOSE are the English pronunciations of those two countries.

You don't say pear-ee.

You don't say juh-nev.

You don't say barth-ay-low-nah.

Speak English, man, and stop trying to impress people.
It's all "much ado about nothing" IMO. Picking at straws?.....Yes. Who cares, anyway? Pfffft. Besides, much of pronunciation is a result of local dialect anyway [i.e. creek vs. crick, aunt vs. ant, etc.]
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
OK, Mr. President.

If it's pahk-ee-stahn, then it's ahf-gahn-ee-stahn.

If it's af-gan-eh-stan, then it's pak-eh-stan.

Choose one or the other. Preferably the latter, because THOSE are the English pronunciations of those two countries.
Oh I'm glad I'm not the only that noticed this! Yeah, I thought it was annoying too. Pick one!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PookieBoy View Post
It's all "much ado about nothing" IMO. Picking at straws?.....Yes. Who cares, anyway? Pfffft. Besides, much of pronunciation is a result of local dialect anyway [i.e. creek vs. crick, aunt vs. ant, etc.]
Sure it's petty, that's why the thread title is "A minor quibble". The problem isn't dialect, though, it's inconsistency. I'm pretty sure if you asked most people from Chicago how they pronounce those two countries, you wouldn't get the answer that President Obama has given.
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
What about Tally-Ban
I thought he said "Tally-Bon". But then again, my memorizer hasn't been up to speed lately.
post #11 of 16
Hey, don't forget he also prefers Dijon mustard.

I guess that makes us pretty awful too since hubby much prefers Dijon mustard.

It boggles my mind how nit-picky folks can get about unimportant things. But then again I cringe when I see poor spelling and grammar so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
post #12 of 16
Thread Starter 
I prefer Dijon, too!
post #13 of 16
Yeah, small potatoes (potatos? ).

Now, if he points to Canada and calls it "pahk-ee-stahn", then we have a problem.
post #14 of 16
Come ON, Obama supporters! This is supposed to be a light-hearted thread. "A minor quibble" No one is saying it's a big deal. We have threads on the more important stuff. This isn't one of them.
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by valanhb View Post
Come ON, Obama supporters! This is supposed to be a light-hearted thread. "A minor quibble" No one is saying it's a big deal. We have threads on the more important stuff. This isn't one of them.
I'm waiting to see how many different ways he can pronounce his dog's name.
post #16 of 16
Boy I'm glad I don't have TV anymore. I do remember though, how the pronounciation of Qatar spread throughout the media for a while there, and everyone was calling it "Guttar." OK - so "Ka-tar" is not how the arabs pronounce it - but they sure don't call it Guttar. Drove me NUTS! So I get the minor quibble problem!

Laurie
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › A minor quibble