Help wording a want ad?

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, since I'm working full time (and overtime at the moment) at another job, Charlie is looking into hiring someone part time to fill the void that I've left on especially busy days. My first thought was a want ad, but I've never written one before, although I know for cost sake, they need to be as short as possible, while still getting the information across. I figure some of you might have some experience at this, so am going to list the things that I need to get over to potential employees here, and see what you all come up with, Thanks!!!

this job is part time only, no set hours or days (basically 'on call', usually we know at the first of the week what days they'd work, but sometimes those needs change on a day to day basis, especially when people call one day needing something the next day)

some kitchen cleanup will be expected on some days

must have a valid drivers license

must be able to lift medium loads, walk moderate distances and climb stairs (with said medium load)

must not be a convicted felon (clean criminal record)

drug/alcohol free

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope you find this helpful.

Casual Help required on a On-Call Basis.
Some food services, and Kitchen maintenance experience neccessary
A mediumn physcial fitness abliltiy is required for lifting and standing.
Must have a valid drivers license, no criminal record and submit willingly to random drug testing.

Here you add your contact details and you might want to think about adding some info on wages..

Good luck.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tierre0

Hope you find this helpful.

Casual Help required on a On-Call Basis.
Some food services, and Kitchen maintenance experience neccessary
A mediumn physcial fitness abliltiy is required for lifting and standing.
Must have a valid drivers license, no criminal record and submit willingly to random drug testing.

Here you add your contact details and you might want to think about adding some info on wages..

Good luck.
I think this sounds good. The bakery I work at part time had a message board on the counter advertising the position I work at currently.

Will you be using a generic style job application (from office supply store) for verification purposes?

Also you may want to include some type of statement that you will be requiring proof of US citizenship??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, both of you! I like the looks of that. In answer to your questions, Gail, yes, its a pretty standard application, and if it comes up, I will be verifying citizenship, but I suspect that it won't be a huge problem, because in this town, not a lot of (how do I say this....) "non citizens" read our local paper, if you know what I mean?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
You might want to be a little more specific about the type of work. The requirement of a driver's license and ability to lift tells me it may be some kind of delivery service, but I can't really tell. You don't need to write a book, but you're more likely to get serious calls from qualified people if you have a more detailed ad. It could end up being cheaper as well since you're likely to hire someone sooner and not have to run the ad very long.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittenKrazy

Ok, since I'm working full time (and overtime at the moment) at another job, Charlie is looking into hiring someone part time to fill the void that I've left on especially busy days. My first thought was a want ad, but I've never written one before, although I know for cost sake, they need to be as short as possible, while still getting the information across. I figure some of you might have some experience at this, so am going to list the things that I need to get over to potential employees here, and see what you all come up with, Thanks!!!

this job is part time only, no set hours or days (basically 'on call', usually we know at the first of the week what days they'd work, but sometimes those needs change on a day to day basis, especially when people call one day needing something the next day)

some kitchen cleanup will be expected on some days

must have a valid drivers license

must be able to lift medium loads, walk moderate distances and climb stairs (with said medium load)

must not be a convicted felon (clean criminal record)

drug/alcohol free
Part-time worker needed for (insert business type, i.e. busy restaurant). Days and times will vary; it is important that employee be able to work flexible schedule. Must be able to lift medium weight loads, walk moderate distances and climb stairs. Duties include, but are not limited to, kitchen cleanup. Valid drivers license required. Must be drug/alcohol free and have a clean criminal record.