I am really freaking out

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those bottle babies I turned over to the rescue just tested positive for FLV/FIV. Keller did stimulate them a few times
I am really worried now. It has been about a week since she did, is it to soon to have her tested? Help Please!!

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh dear!
I really have no idea, but I think that it would probably fine to test her now. If you have a call in vet, call him and ask.
Sorry I couldn't tell you more

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are going to euthanize the kittens
They are not thriving or gaining weight and are having hydration issues.

The rescue is coming over on Monday to test Keller. I am worried about her kittens now.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am praying for you and your little friends. What a sad situation. keep us posted. This could happen to any of us at any time.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, no!! I will say a prayer and keep my fingers crossed that Keller and her babies are all ok!!!

ETA: Has Keller ever been vaccinated for these viruses? I know there is one for FeLV... and a new one for FIV that has some controversy around it.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh may. The nightmare for a rescuer...

I tried now to read a little about these in Swedish, on Agria, a major swedish insurance company for small animals. I presume it it the same sickedness.

The reading gives me some hope.
1. They say it is not so very contagious. Usually by bites, or kittens in moms womb. They didnt said during nursing or stimulating.
I know stimulating means also eating up the poo - THIS is worrying me. But they didnt said anything about poo.

2. Even if Keller gets the viruses in and tests positive, it is not at all sure the sickedness will broke out. It is not so dangerous for healthy cats, who can live long life with it they say. The sickedness may break out if their defensive system gets weakened. For example by stress, starvation or another sickedness.
I know this is correct for FIV.

So. We cant say hurrah. But I think and hope there is place for some optimism.
Lets hope the test are negative.

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I am hoping for the best. We will have her tested on Monday, that will be about 10 days from contact. If she does have it we will go from there.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here at the shelter, if exposed to FeLV/FIV the cat is re-tested in 30 days. All cats in your home must be re-tested....they should have no contact with other cats outside the home. FIV I wouldn't worry much about, FeLV I would worry about more. That is why I don't put abandoned kittens on nursing adults - the one time I did I lost everyone - mom, her initial 5 kittens & the 2 add ons.
All tested positive after 30 days.

One FeLV test is more reliable than the other, you'll have to do a search for FeLV to find out which - I know someone on the forum posted recently about it. And be aware that kittens under 3-4 months can test iffy on those tests - due to age, etc. So they *might* test positive & not be.

browneyes106

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry about the kittens. I will keep Keller and her babies in my prayers.

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The kittens tested positive for FeLV. I sent Zeus to my sisters house shortly after the kittens were born, he was just giving Keller to much grief. I am glad now that I did. Should I seperate the kittens from Keller? Does it make much difference at this point? If she is positive, Zeus won't come back home

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought Keller and her kittens weren't being tested until Monday?

vickistabbys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by AMYSCRAZY

The kittens tested positive for FeLV. I sent Zeus to my sisters house shortly after the kittens were born, he was just giving Keller to much grief. I am glad now that I did. Should I seperate the kittens from Keller? Does it make much difference at this point? If she is positive, Zeus won't come back home
I am a veterinary technician, maybe I can give you some information. I do need some clarification on this situaton. How old are the kittens? And when and why were they tested? (did they show signs of illness)

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats and kittens haven't been tested, the adandoned kittens I was bottle feeding tested positive. Keller's kittens are almost 7 wks old now and the last 2 days she wants nothing to do with them.
The bottle babies were tested because the lady who took them in from me really felt there was an issue. She has bottle fed close to 1000 kittens over the 20 yrs she has been doing rescue. They were extremely hyper/high strung, didn't seem to be gaining weight, she felt they were failing to thrive. They also had really swollen genitals and were dehydrated. She was giving them fluids daily even though they were eating plenty. She has seen this before and had a hunch. She used a test called Assure (something similar), a saliva test that says if it shows positive, it is not transient. I am hoping for the best...

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking about you and believe that everything will work out in the end.

Think positive thoughts!!

Leslie

bmw kitty cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
for Keller and babies.

So sad about the kittens. However I heard that testing for felv sometimes can give false results if the kittens are younger than 6 months. Not sure but anyway i hope everything turns out for the best for Keller

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by BMW Kitty Cat

for Keller and babies.

So sad about the kittens. However I heard that testing for felv sometimes can give false results if the kittens are younger than 6 months. Not sure but anyway i hope everything turns out for the best for Keller
Yes. But these found kittens HAD surely something as they apparently had some sickedness. So the test here was probably correct.

However. What you say is, IF the test on monday on Keller and her kittens is positive, there is hope it was a false result.

Prayers and vibes send!