Entered my girls in a show (HHP)--more questions

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I've entered Goldy, Iris, and Cali in a CFA show in Tucson June 13. I just couldn't decide which one to leave home if I only entered two.
I do have a friend going with me to help wrangle cats.

The show registrar has been friendly and very helpful, but I still have some questions about what I need to take to be completely prepared.

I know I need to have show curtains, or at least something to drape around the cages. I read one place (can't find the reference again) that it's recommended to bring a pad or mat to put under the cage to keep it from slipping on the table. Do I also need to bring a sheet or something to drape over the front of the table to hide things underneath, or are the table skirts provided?

Litter is provided, but I'm wondering if I should bring my own anyway. What do you do if your cat doesn't like the litter?

I got a small wire dog crate that fits in the back of my car to use for the 3-hour drive down. It gives them more room and more air than the standard plastic carriers I have. Do I need to take the smaller carriers as well to get the kitties from the car into the show hall? The cage would be easy enough to handle with two of us, I'm just not sure about the size. It's 18 x 24 x 20.

Are soft paws allowed? I don't use them but have been thinking about trying them. If they're not allowed I would wait until after the show to get any.

Is there a way to find out where a specific cat/breed is benched or do I just have to wander around the show hall looking? I'm hoping connect with someone who shows/breeds abyssinians. I have a couple of names that TCS members have given me, but don't know if those breeders will be at the show.

Any other tips you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You will have to look for other breeds.
Everyone is scattered around.
You can bring your own litter.
Last time I showed they had pearl litter and Cleo tried to eat it.
She also played in it.
You can bring a sheet or table cloth or blanket.
You need to bring dishes and food and water.
Bring toys for your cats.
You should bring a blanket to carry them to the ring with and bring a bed.
I only showed once but I did learn a lot.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Soft claws are not allowable here in NZ so I doubt that would be in the US either.

Good luck for the show! That's the week before my club's show!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Soft paws are not even sold here so I've no idea if we allow them.

The question has come up before, I'll see if I can find the old thread.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know I need to have show curtains, or at least something to drape around the cages. I read one place (can't find the reference again) that it's recommended to bring a pad or mat to put under the cage to keep it from slipping on the table. Do I also need to bring a sheet or something to drape over the front of the table to hide things underneath, or are the table skirts provided?

I usually just put a nice big towel on the bottom of the cage (put it down first and put the cage on top - then it will not slid. I would not worry about under the table - its not necessary to "hide" your carriers.

Litter is provided, but I'm wondering if I should bring my own anyway. What do you do if your cat doesn't like the litter?

I fill a large gallon plastic bag (the kind for the freezer) with my wood stove pellets - its probably better to bring your own litter so you don't have a picky cat.

I got a small wire dog crate that fits in the back of my car to use for the 3-hour drive down. It gives them more room and more air than the standard plastic carriers I have. Do I need to take the smaller carriers as well to get the kitties from the car into the show hall? The cage would be easy enough to handle with two of us, I'm just not sure about the size. It's 18 x 24 x 20.

Cats are always carried in the show hall in a small enclosed carrier - transfer them to a normal carrier before you bring them in the show hall.

Are soft paws allowed? I don't use them but have been thinking about trying them. If they're not allowed I would wait until after the show to get any.

I would not use them. I know the pedigree cats cannot used them and I've only seen one or two HHP's with them on. Its kinda a "marker" thing, so it not really acceptable.

Is there a way to find out where a specific cat/breed is benched or do I just have to wander around the show hall looking? I'm hoping connect with someone who shows/breeds abyssinians. I have a couple of names that TCS members have given me, but don't know if those breeders will be at the show.

Not really - easier to look in the catalog for the cats number and then watch the rings and wait to find out who brings the cat up or takes it back and follow them to talk to them.

Any other tips you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
[/quote]

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Soft paws are not allowed here either, but in GCCF a lot of things are not allowed including drapes, decoration, anything in the cage that isn't white and a standard size and shape (including litter tray/water bowl), and cages have to be a standard size - TICA are a bit more relaxed about such things though. I have no idea about CFA as they are practically non-existent here.

So it makes a difference which registry you are showing with as to what is allowed. The best place to check is probably the registry's website, they should have a page about attending a show which will tell you what is allowed, and any questions that remain unanswered by the webpage can always be asked of the show secretary - that is what he/she is there for

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Under CFA - Soft paws are allowed ONLY for HHP cats and no other. Show Rule 11.11.1. It is one of only two "identifying marks" (Show rule 11.11) that is excepted.

Personally though and this is IMO - a cat using Soft paws would indicate that the cat is a scratcher and as an exhibitor, you wouldn't want that to be held against the cat before it's even judged!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Well, the show is one week away and I still have more questions. I've been gathering all the things I think I need for the show, and I'm pretty sure there won't be any room for me in the car once I get all the kitty equipment loaded.

I had asked about using Soft Paws because I had never clipped the girl's back claws before. However, it could be even trickier trying to put the Soft Paws on since you're supposed to hold them still long enough for the glue to dry. Oh yeah, like that's going to work.

I'm still confused about how the show curtains work. When I went to a show just to see what it was like I didn't know what to be looking for. I know I'm supposed to have something to drape around the sides and back of the cages, but thought it would be around the outside. Looking at some of Sam's pictures here, the curtains are inside the cage. I was hoping to drape a sheet or blanket around all three cages but not in between. I think my kitties will do better if they can see each other but not other cats. I suppose once I get there somebody will be available to help me figure it out.

Is there a dress code for humans at the shows? I know the judges were dressed up, but I saw a lot of casual wear (jeans & t-shirts) in the show hall. I couldn't really tell who were showing cats and who were spectators.

Are cell phones allowed in the show hall? I don't remember seeing anything in the rules about that. I assume they would have to be set on vibrate so the sound wouldn't upset the cats.

Is anybody from TCS going to be at the Tucson show next weekend?

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont now how to use the curtians but I can help you with the other stuff.
I think the curtains go on the outside.

You can wear anything you wnat to a show.
There is no dress code.
Most people here wear shorts.

Cell phones are allowed but dont leave them on in the judging area.
I hate when people do that.
Is is so rude.

You can use a sheet or blanket under the cage.
I used a sheet that Mary loaned me my first time.
She might be at that show if she does not have kittens.
I know she has some due soon.
She shows Abbys.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here in Aus and NZ we have our curtains on the inside, in the US they seem to be on the outside and on top (overhead).

You have to clip the claws before applying the nail covers I think, so you can't really avoid the clipping either way.

Our dress code is casual, jeans or even sweat pants.

Mobile phones are to be switched off or on silent/vibrate so you don't disturb the cats or judges.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't know about the curtains.

But you can wear anything you like to a show, as long as it's not indecent in the eyes of the law.

In terms of cellphones, I always think it's polite and good manners to put them on silent/vibrate and put in a pocket where you can feel it rather than hear it if in company or in a crowded place, especially in a situation where it may spook any animals within earshot in a close environment if it suddenly becomes noisy!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen both inside and outside for cage curtains. IMO if you are using the wire cages the club provides, the curtains should go in the INSIDE so the cat is not laying against the wire. But if you feel your cats will do better to see each other, then drape the material around the outside along all 3 cages (actually its a full cage and a half (unless you bought the other 1/2 of the cage.

If you only have one full cage (2 cats in there) and a 1/2 cage (3rd cat) then you will not be able to drape on the outside because you will be sharing the 1/2 cage with another person. Most people just buy the extra 1/2 cage for $15/20 extra for the one cat.

For dressing - where what is comfortable to you. Most don't "dress up" - you go more in jeans/t-shirt or a nice shirt. I usually wear jeans or pants that I'd wear to work. And wear comfortable shoes too!

Cell phones are allowed in the show hall.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Thanks for all the help. I tend to get a little frazzled before any big event, but if I get as many details as possible worked out ahead of time I can relax and enjoy the actual event.

Originally Posted by mews2much

You can use a sheet or blanket under the cage.
I used a sheet that Mary loaned me my first time.
She might be at that show if she does not have kittens.
I know she has some due soon.
She shows Abbys.
I have some large towels that show off my kitties' color really well. I also plan to put a cushion in for each of them to sleep on.

Could you PM me Mary's full name? I should be able to look her up in the catalog if she's there. Thanks.

Originally Posted by missymotus

Here in Aus and NZ we have our curtains on the inside, in the US they seem to be on the outside and on top (overhead).

You have to clip the claws before applying the nail covers I think, so you can't really avoid the clipping either way.
No wonder I'm confused. I've seen pictures of curtains both ways, just didn't realize it was a geographical difference.

I've been trying to clip the back nails, but don't think I've gotten them short enough yet. Guess we're going to have a couple more manicure sessions before next weekend.

Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I've seen both inside and outside for cage curtains. IMO if you are using the wire cages the club provides, the curtains should go in the INSIDE so the cat is not laying against the wire. But if you feel your cats will do better to see each other, then drape the material around the outside along all 3 cages (actually its a full cage and a half (unless you bought the other 1/2 of the cage.

If you only have one full cage (2 cats in there) and a 1/2 cage (3rd cat) then you will not be able to drape on the outside because you will be sharing the 1/2 cage with another person. Most people just buy the extra 1/2 cage for $15/20 extra for the one cat.

For dressing - where what is comfortable to you. Most don't "dress up" - you go more in jeans/t-shirt or a nice shirt. I usually wear jeans or pants that I'd wear to work. And wear comfortable shoes too!

Cell phones are allowed in the show hall.
The cages for this show are 36"W x 24"D x 27"H. You're allowed two kittens or one cat per cage. Since my two "kittens" are 9 months old they count as cats now, so I had to pay for three cages. I was hoping I would be able to take out the dividers between the cages and let all three kitties have the full length, but apparently it doesn't work that way.

I got a wire dog cage to put in the back of my car for the girls to travel in. I've had it out in the living room for the last two or three weeks. They love to play footsie with each other through the bars.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the double cage, you don't have to have the dividers up - you can clip them to the back so its one large cage. The one cat per cage is a rule for the 1/2 cage, they can have one big one if you choose. You could have all 3 in one open cage and just have the 3rd one set up in case you need it to separate one of the cats.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
The show is this Saturday. I'm really starting to get nervous. What if my girls hate being in a show? I think Goldy and Iris will be okay, but Cali has gotten skittish lately. I don't know what's going on, nothing has changed around the house. She occasionally scoots away when I reach toward her, but then five minutes later she'll be climbing on my shoulder trying to eat the food off my fork. I got some Rescue Remedy for her but didn't know if I should have started giving it to her ahead of time.

I'll be driving to Tucson tomorrow (Friday) afternoon. If Cali seems too stressed out from the trip, should I still take her to the show or leave her at my sister's house? Who knows? She may be just fine since she'll be traveling with her mother and sister.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think everyone is nervous when they show for the first time.
I was the same way but after the first ring it gets better.
One of the sphynx breeders I know is nervous about showing in CFA for the first time also.
It is hard to say if your cat will act up in a show.
I have seen cats that are very friendly and outgoing go crazy at shows.
She how she acts when you get to your sisters.
If she is to stressed it may be a bad idea to take her to the show.

allmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can see how it would be nerve-wracking having to keep track of multiple rings! This is all new to me, as it is so different from dog shows. In dog shows, if you are only showing one dog (or more of the same breed), you only have one ring to deal with (unless you win breed and wait for group); however, having to get "dressed up" and actually perform, yourself, in the ring...that can be very daunting for a newbie too, wow! I am excited about giving cat shows a try...similar but so very different as well!
Good luck to the OP on your first show!!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually its pretty easy if the cats you are showing are in the same class (kitten, adult, alter, or HHP). Its when you have 2 or more in different classes. Say you are showing one pedigree kitten, one pedigree alter, and one in the HHP's...............then talk about "nerve racking". That's when you need two people so one can handle one, the other can handle the other.

At our last show, we were helping our friend. I was mainly taking Jack up to the kitten classes, and our friends were showing adult champions with Ocicat and Cornish Rex. My husband kinda got roped into getting the one Rex up to the ring while his owner took the other Rex. We would wind up being in 2 rings at the same time and it was hard to watch what each cat was doing.