Favorite places to hack up hairballs?

mikehong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last night I was watching TV and heard one of our cats coughing. I looked over the coffee table and saw Obie on the corner of the rug attempting to cough up a hairball. I moved him to the wood floor thinking it would be easier to clean than the carpet but he quickly made his way back to the corner of the rug. I moved him a second time and he stopped.

This morning I was about to leave and noticed that he had coughed up his hairball on the exact spot of the rug that I moved him from last night. My girlfriend said she had found hairballs in that spot before.

Has anyone else noticed that their cat(s) tend to cough up hairballs in a particular spot?

Any idea how to change that favorite spot to the litter box?

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'll be interested to read posts on this, because i have the same problem.

I had all the carpets in the rooms brought up and replaced with wood, apart from the stairs and a large shag pile rug in the livingroom, but Jack insists on hacking up his fur balls or to be sick on them?. This morning he woke up, jumped down off the bed and went into the hallway to hack one up?????

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my bed, where else? I have woken up several times in the middle of the night to a cat hocking up a hairball in bed, whereupon I immediately get the cat OUT of the bed, and let them do it on the floor!

ckblv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think there is some kind of unspoken rule among cats that they all adhere to and that is, all hair balls must be hacked up on carpet or rugs, no exception, sole exception being a comfy bed.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend's RB cat had a knack for hacking up hairballs in places where my boyfriend would step on them in the dark in the middle of the night- barefoot!

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sandtigress

In my bed, where else? I have woken up several times in the middle of the night to a cat hocking up a hairball in bed, whereupon I immediately get the cat OUT of the bed, and let them do it on the floor!
I started a thread in the "what's new pussycat" forum about this same thing. Moose usually, but not always, upchucks hairballs in the bed overnight, unless I can catch him and get him on the floor. Once he even barfed all over my arm. Nothing beats changing the sheets at 0200 am. Oh, joy!

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have all wood floors and no rugs
but Riley does seem to prefer a certain spot in the hallway and one area of the living room. Thankfully that doesn't happen very often now that they get hairball kibble and cat grass daily.

Alley
used to always do it on my bed!

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clpeters23

I started a thread in the "what's new pussycat" forum about this same thing. Moose usually, but not always, upchucks hairballs in the bed overnight, unless I can catch him and get him on the floor. Once he even barfed all over my arm. Nothing beats changing the sheets at 0200 am. Oh, joy!
Makes me glad I'm a pretty light sleeper! They've tried multiple times, but never succeeded, at least not while I was sleeping in the bed.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I accidentally accustomed Sho to coming to me if he's going to be sick or have a hairball. I would aways pick him up and run him to the bathroom to be sick in the toilet (I have fast reflexes sometimes). He hasn't done either in a long time so I don't know if he would still come to me or not.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mikehong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clpeters23

Ahh, that's where the thread was! I remembered seeing it but couldn't find it.

I figured if your cat likes the bed and mine likes the corner of the living room rug, maybe other cats have their own special puke places. There's gotta be a way to get them to do it in a particular spot like the litter box or something.

...and before some smarty pants suggests it, I am NOT going to teach them by doing it myself as a demonstration.