Cat with thin coat

mia's mommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My poor little Ichan (E-chon) had fleas for a long time and after we got rid of the fleas, then he was constantly scratching and covered in scabs and lost a lot of weight. When I took him to the vet they said he probably had flea allergies and gave him Clavamox drops. Since then he had stopped scratching as much, his scaps have healed and his coat is growing back; but its still thin in some spots and he has gained as much weight as his brother who I brought home at the same time. I usually by them Friskies Seafood Sensation or Meowmix Seafood Medley because that seems to be the flavor they like. Because of my budget I don't by the canned food but would that help him at all?

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Adding some drops of oil (safflower/sesame/flaxseed) to their food will help with the coat.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mia's Mommy

I usually by them Friskies Seafood Sensation or Meowmix Seafood Medley because that seems to be the flavor they like. Because of my budget I don't by the canned food but would that help him at all?
You could try at least switching them to a better dry that would have better omega 3 and 6. If money is short you could try checking company sites for free sample offers and coupons so you can find one they like.

At the very least get them onto something that isn't full of a bunch of dyes.

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Switching Ichan to a high quality canned food would be better for his overall health. You'd very likely see an improvement in his coat.

Changing a cat's diet from all dry to canned food can sometimes be tough -cats can get addicted to dry food, especially seafood-flavored dry.

I know canned is more expensive, but you don't have to feed a large amount of good quality canned food - smaller amounts are fine for most cats since the food has better nutritional quality. Try to get Ichan to eat a good canned food for at least 50% of his diet.