Bunnies

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there a way to keep bunnies out of the yard? I am afraid to let the kitties outside. They go out with supervision and our yard is fenced in. The bunnies get under all the fences. Right now we have 3 of them. They are so cute!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, I love bunnies. You may want to try putting out moth balls around the fence to deter them, and in the holes they dug. It's supposed to work for stray cats and other rodents so I'm guessing it would work for rabbits. Haven't tried it myself because the barn cats definitely keep down the rabbit population...but I love them!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Moth balls used to be used as a rabbit deterent but the active ingredient in mothballs has been dramatically reduced to they are not effective anymore. The first hatch of rabbits is already done-probably the second hatch is soon.

For effective fencing use chicken wire buried 6 inches into the soil along your fence. But if you have any inside your fence..... They have real shallow nests-a couple of inches into topsoil is all.

Rabbits are really destructive to plant material. You could also spray Liquid Fence on any plants. There is one widely available for deer and rabbits. There is also one specific to rabbits but is very difficult to find (my supplier has a trace on a order for me)and rabbit product is very expensive compared to the deer and rabbit product.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

Moth balls used to be used as a rabbit deterent but the active ingredient in mothballs has been dramatically reduced to they are not effective anymore. The first hatch of rabbits is already done-probably the second hatch is soon.

For effective fencing use chicken wire buried 6 inches into the soil along your fence. But if you have any inside your fence..... They have real shallow nests-a couple of inches into topsoil is all.

Rabbits are really destructive to plant material. You could also spray Liquid Fence on any plants. There is one widely available for deer and rabbits. There is also one specific to rabbits but is very difficult to find (my supplier has a trace on a order for me)and rabbit product is very expensive compared to the deer and rabbit product.
Thanks. You think hot pepper wax would work?
I was hoping to avoid the chicken fence but if it's our only choice....

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, I'd fix the fence. If they can get in or dig under and widen any spots, so can other animals. You don't want a skunk setting it's sights on getting in!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Honestly, I'd fix the fence. If they can get in or dig under and widen any spots, so can other animals. You don't want a skunk setting it's sights on getting in!
We live in a row home so fixing the fence involves both neighbors & $$$.
The back fence where they get in is already a double fence. Our neighbor refused to split the cost to replace the wire fence so Mom had a wooden one put in. They get in from the neighbors side (jungle where they live) and come into our yard. If we block that then they can get in from the side neighbors. LoL It's a big project to redo fences even though it's the best solution.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have our stockade fences raised a bit, they're not all the way down to the ground at the bottom (yard isn't level). We then put rail road ties (sleepers) around the inside base. You could use wood and nail it around the bottom, if that's the problem or you could staple and bury chicken wire. There's no need to actually replace any fencing unless it's damaged or rotting.

I have shared fences, too, and that won't stop me from fixes them - especially when the neighbors smallest sheltie slipped through and into our yard (and our gate to the back road was open!).

Also, if there are any big vining plants on those fences they need to go. All the houses on this road seem to have trumpeter vines. It destroys fences - actually splitting the panels apart.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

You think this is a mating dance?

Here are two of the babies.
http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...t=a60b74bb.flv

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

You think this is a mating dance?

Here are two of the babies.
http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...t=a60b74bb.flv
Hm. Looks like what the squirrels do in our yard
And I have squirrel nests in my trees.

Anyhow- that big bush that they hopped under? I can bet you've got babies somewhere under there. My neighbors have bunnies that have babies under their porch. AND- they buried babies in a hole (there was some grass over them). How do I know this? B/c my neighbor ran over the nest with his lawn mower! The bunnies weren't hurt at all- in fact my neighbor came running over here and told us to bring the girls over. They were SO cute- and the mama bunny was near the fence.

We back up to woods and I know we've got bunnies in there somewhere. Because they're munching on the lawn
Most of it back there is weeds anyhow- I just make sure that we don't put anything on the weeds back there.

My cats used to bug them. The 17 year old doesn't even chase them anymore. Sneaky will watch them- and we've got to be careful when she's outside-because she will try to get the babies. And I really don't want her chasing them, we get foxes occasionally here too, and they do eat bunnies

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sneakymom

Hm. Looks like what the squirrels do in our yard
And I have squirrel nests in my trees.

Anyhow- that big bush that they hopped under? I can bet you've got babies somewhere under there. My neighbors have bunnies that have babies under their porch. AND- they buried babies in a hole (there was some grass over them). How do I know this? B/c my neighbor ran over the nest with his lawn mower! The bunnies weren't hurt at all- in fact my neighbor came running over here and told us to bring the girls over. They were SO cute- and the mama bunny was near the fence.

We back up to woods and I know we've got bunnies in there somewhere. Because they're munching on the lawn
Most of it back there is weeds anyhow- I just make sure that we don't put anything on the weeds back there.

My cats used to bug them. The 17 year old doesn't even chase them anymore. Sneaky will watch them- and we've got to be careful when she's outside-because she will try to get the babies. And I really don't want her chasing them, we get foxes occasionally here too, and they do eat bunnies
They live in the yard behind us. He has a weed garden & double the space. Everything seems to live back there including stray cats.