6 wk old kittens.....just came to stay with me

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I ended up getting these two kittens because I could not leave them where they were. Unplanned, I didn't know I was taking both untill I got there and saw the conditions. I could not leave them behind.

So now, I have these 2, 6wk old kittens. Supposedly litter trained, and eating hard food. ( but they were still suckling momma when I got there)

I asked the lady at the pet food store, she's raised kittens before. She recommended wet kitten food 2x day and Just Born (like KMR) once a day. She actually sexed them for me
as the woman they came from didn't know, and thought they were girls.

I weighed them, baby 1 weighs 22oz, baby 2 weighs 21oz. The larger one is more active, and I have seen him drinking water. Someone has pee'd in the litter pan... don't know which one. I have them isolated in my bathroom for now because it is small and cozy, nowhere for kitties to hide. When I'm sure they are eating well, I will move them into the spare room so they can grow safely. (bigger room, still shut off from the rest).

So here we go:

Feeding...... they were supposedly eating dry food. She had a plate of dry crap there.. So in the bathroom, I have a bowl of dry catfood, a bowl of water, and I offered 1tbsp of wet catfood mixed with 2tbsp milk (Just Born). They instantly went for the wet mixture, and together at about 1/2 of what I offered. They have not touched the dry.

What should they be eating? Is it a good plan to offer the wet food 3x a daily, with one feed of the milky food?

Is there anything I should know about, that I may not know? I don't have much experience with 6wk old kittens without their mom. I fostered a pregnant kitty many years ago, and she did all the work, so I don't have a clue about 6wk old kittens.

Thanks for any help.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
when i got both of my kittens they were 6 weeks old and believe it or not fully weaned and litter tray sorted, so i was just feeding them on kitten wet food they didnt like kitten milk so i just put a little water in just so i knew they were getting it then after a couple of months added dry because i wasnt sure how long it took the teeth to fully develop

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would give them wet kitten food only, not dry. ANd I have found young kittens may not lap KMR but usually love plain yoghourt or unsalted fromage frais (cream cheese). Wonderful for them that you are able to take them and care for them. Will you keep them?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

Wonderful for them that you are able to take them and care for them. Will you keep them?
At least 1 will be a permanent resident here
The second one will be healthy and neutered before I find him a good home, but hopefully I will win over my husband.

Back on topic though:

So feeding them....are people recommending just feeding wet food?

Why no dry food? (as they get older, they will be on dry food) Will it hurt their teeth?

They will drink KMR, especially like me feeding it via my finger. I only have one box of it. (500mL I believe)

I just don't want to over do the milk and give them diarrhea?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would feed them more canned kitten food then dry at this point. You can leave some quality dry kitten food out for them to nibble on when they feel like it.

At their age you should offer canned foods 3-4 times a day.

breellablue

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
you should really talk that woman into spaying their mother. 6 weeks is IMO a little young for a kitten to be taken from its mother. The natural weening process has barely gotten started.

Good on you to take those two in though. I recently took in NINE seven week old kittens. We went to pics up their mothers to be spayed and the people said that they were going to just give them away to neighborhood people-- without being altered or having shots and were going to start today now that their mothers were spayed. Said neighborhood isn't the nicest area in town, so now they live with us till they can be altered and go up for adoption.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good for you, Chris!!! Some people are just

I can't add any advice about kitten feeding, just want to wish you good luck!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I would feed them more canned kitten food then dry at this point. You can leave some quality dry kitten food out for them to nibble on when they feel like it.

At their age you should offer canned foods 3-4 times a day.
K, thanks
Should I be offering the KMR as well? They weren't weaned.

Sidenote: yes, I did try to tell the lady to spay her cat.... she has another that she said she got spayed but it looked pregnant to me.

It's a tough call....taking the kits shows someone will take them, but honestly I could not leave them in those conditions

If my hubby won't let me keep both, then I will find a good home for the other...and he knows that I refuse to put them in a shelter. (on a positive note, if I do need to part with one of them, the lady at the store I shop at would like one).

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I got Harvey at about 5-6wks. For the first week or so, he just couldn't handle the dry food. So I made him "kitten mush", AKA a tiny bit of wet food (tablespoon or so), about 1/8 cup of dry with some warm water mixed in. Let it set for a little bit so the dry food can absorb all the liquid and get soft. I fed him this 3-4 times a day. Also, we've got a litter of 5wk-7wk olds at work who we're trying to start weaning from their momma (3 are hers, 3 she adopted, thus suggesting the range in ages) and they get kitten mush too.

In a week or so you can start giving him just dry food softened with water and reduce the wet to once a day (or eliminate if you want them on an all dry diet). In my experience kittens can't really eat dry food until around 8-9wks.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would give them wet and dry kitten food.
I have used Kmr on younger kittens.
I think they will be ok on wet kitten food.
We once had a almost dead kitten dumped on our porch that was about 3 weeks old.
We saved him and kept him.
Since they are not weaned go ahead and try the KMR.
I am glad you saved them.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Jacky

If I go by the box, for their weight they should get 4tsp every 4 hours (that's the dose for 16oz kittens, these guys weigh 21 and 22oz).

They won't lap it up out of a dish, but they eat it mixed in with wet food or off of my finger. I just don't want to give them too much and upset their tummies.

They don't eat a whole lot of food, maybe 10gr wet food each per feeding. Since I'm home, I'm able to offer food every few hours.

There were 2 nice poopies in the pan this morning... I don't know if that was from one kitty, or they each went poo. But there's been a few pee's too, and I saw them both nibble on some dry food.

They are active lil buggers

This is new for me, having 2 siblings. Aside from the one time I fostered (many years ago), I've only ever had one kitten at a time. This is soooo much fun.

Kizzy is spending alot of time at the bathroom door where they are kept for now LOL. I don't want to introduce them untill I get Kizzy's 2nd shots, and get the kittens to the vet too.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to get pictures.
Just wait until they get to their worst age.
They will get real hyper.
I think this will help you.
The last kittens I raised were 6.5 years a go.

Weaning (at 5-6 weeks)
Mix the kitten formula with baby food into a gruel and get the kitten to eat if off a dish or spoon.
Mix canned kitten food with formula.
Gradually reduce the amount of formula each day until the kitten is eating just kitten food.
At about 8 weeks of age, begin mixing in dry food with the canned food and again, transition slowly to dry food.
Do not be surprised if you experience temporary diarrhea. As you know, kittens have very sensitive tummies and any change in diet can cause loose stool. Have your parents bottle feed you while they wean you to make sure you get enough to eat. Of course, have them reduce the bottle feeding as you eat more and more solid food.