"I had Swine Flu"

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's what the taxi driver told me this morning on the way to work!

He mentioned that he missed 2 days of work last week because he was feeling "fluish" and achy. He said it lasted exactly 4 days which is what they are saying the Swine Flu lasts.

I tried to convince him that he didn't have "Swine Flu" and that he likely had a cold, or another type of flu going around since it is still flu season.

Nope! He insists he had the Swine Flu.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In fact they were saying on CBC radio that all the cases in the Toronto area have been very mild so maybe he did. Apparently not everyone gets really, really sick.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

In fact they were saying on CBC radio that all the cases in the Toronto area have been very mild so maybe he did. Apparently not everyone gets really, really sick.
There has only been one confirmed case in Manitoba.

I doubt very much that he had the swine flu. It's mass hysteria. Some people hear something "new" and they "have it."

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

There has only been one confirmed case in Manitoba.

I doubt very much that he had the swine flu. It's mass hysteria. Some people hear something "new" and they "have it."
I've got to agree that it's likely mass hysteria...
My brother moved to Mexico a couple of months ago, and is now stuck in his apartment on quarantine. He said everywhere he goes, he asks everybody if they know anybody at all who had the suine flu, and the answer was never yes. He lives in Mexico City - the city has stopped, but nobody knows anybody who has been affected by this "epidemic"? Weird, huh?

deedeemay

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a few cases reported here in the UK, but they only seem to be mild ones..then again I heard that on the news a day or so ago. It's mainly affected schools, and a few kids are being kept home as a precaution.

I personally think we are panicking over something that will soon pass...such hysteria for a flu bug!

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There were about 17 cases reported in South Carolina, 2 being in the Charleston area. My co-worker was convinced I had swine flu
Two weeks before this mass hysteria, I was diagnosed with bronchitis. But because I had slight coughing for two weeks afterwards, I must have had swine flu.
She followed me with Lysol in the lab.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tara & Rob

There were about 17 cases reported in South Carolina, 2 being in the Charleston area. My co-worker was convinced I had swine flu
Two weeks before this mass hysteria, I was diagnosed with bronchitis. But because I had slight coughing for two weeks afterwards, I must have had swine flu.
She followed me with Lysol in the lab.
Yesterday I started to get a tickle in my throat and was coughing occasionally. Today my chest feels a little congested and I have a dry cough. Nothing more than you get with a cold. I have to go out today, I bet I'll see people trying to avoid me like I have the plague!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I caught a cold a few weeks ago and had mild bronchitis from it. No one looked at me weird for coughing.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I caught a cold a few weeks ago and had mild bronchitis from it. No one looked at me weird for coughing.
I don't think "Swine Flu" was in the news at that time. That's probably why.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I don't think "Swine Flu" was in the news at that time. That's probably why.
I'm still coughing from it, so that makes no sense.

breellablue

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some woman in my college ASL class claims she got swine flu from eating at a local Mexican themed restaurant.

ROFL

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I'm still coughing from it, so that makes no sense.
DH & I, too. We've had colds since just before Easter (his); I got mine about 4-5 days later. We feel much better, but still have a bit of the cough left. It's very persistent! Hope you feel better soon.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MargeCat

DH & I, too. We've had colds since just before Easter (his); I got mine about 4-5 days later. We feel much better, but still have a bit of the cough left. It's very persistent! Hope you feel better soon.
I started getting cold symptoms the night of the 16th (nose started running a lot) and woke up with it full blown the next morning. Aside from morning congestion the worst I have left is a bit of coughing now and then.
Mucinex helped a lot.

I suggest with this type of cold that if one can take it, that they do.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since working at the Medical Clinic, i sure get a few Loony patients regarding the swine flu!