Important!: Fish, small animal, reptile and bird owners

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a bill up that will seriously impact those of us that own our pets of choice.
Please help stamp out the Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act.

You can read the bill and track it here
It has already been introduced and subcommitee hearings held

Ways to help can be found here :
No to HR 669

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't believe this bill is still being discussed. The bill is ridiculous. I'm pretty sure Wisconsin isn't being overrun with wild hamsters and gerbils.
I have mice & fish now, but had a gerbil in the past and plan to continue to have fish & small rodents.

Thanks for the link to what I can do.

Edit: the sarcasm about Wisconsin is because that's where I live.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what is wrong with people. This would actually negatively impact our economy. A lot of money goes towards keeping those very animals this would ban. Breeders, importers, and keepers aside - this would harm businesses, shut down some companies/seriously affect some (think Fluker Farms and Kaytee brands), and small animal, bird, and reptile vets. Those vets spend a lot more time and money to be specially trained for this.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If this thing passes I'll be furious! Nobody messes with me and my fishtanks!
What a stupid bill!

Really, like my little African Dwarf Frog or fish are gonna hop out of their tanks and create a massive threat to public safety.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
congress opted to NOT pass this bill April 30th. It must be modified and re-submitted.

But the bottom line is, the opposition to it worked!!! yay!

http://www.petpeoplesplace.com/resou...onal-panel.htm

"We support the development of a strategic, risk-based process to prevent the introduction of invasive species (harmful nonnative species) into the United States. However, the current draft of H.R. 669 fails to be strategic in that it does not adequately take socio-economic issues and risk management options into account and would require funds and staffing not currently available, nor likely to be available, to the US Fish and Wildlife Service," said Meyers in a written testimony.

To the delight of opponents, the bill was not voted on or passed on in it's current form. Instead it was officially acknowledge that the bull requires to be modified. Meyers said that PIJAC was willing to work with the authors of the bill to create effective, yet more realistic, legislation. Chairwoman Madeleine Bordallo added, "We recognize the bill is by no means perfect and that changes will be needed to address various concerns before any legislation moves forward."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is still on the table, and still needs tabs kept on it until it is fully rewritten and resubmitted.

Some of us know full well that when AR groups are standing behind something of this nature they will continue to try to further their own agenda.

Vigilance until rewritten

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yeah I do agree with that. My point is just that the opposition won the first round, and there are signs that it's not going to happen as they want.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No I don't see this passing at all.
But the more opposition these sorts of bills face, the less likely it will be for future bills of this nature to pass.
Not because it's a bad idea, but because the polititians want those votes

The way it is currently written though it would only further PETA's agenda of the extinction of all domestic animals.

tabbycalicogurl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ridiculous

I really can't see this being passed.There are so many bird,reptile,small animals and fish people.There would be such an uproar it would be crazy to pass it.Like the big chain petstores are going to let it get passed.It would almost put them out of bussiness.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

No I don't see this passing at all.
But the more opposition these sorts of bills face, the less likely it will be for future bills of this nature to pass.
Not because it's a bad idea, but because the polititians want those votes

The way it is currently written though it would only further PETA's agenda of the extinction of all domestic animals.
i'm definitely on your side. believe me.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, after all the years I have been on this site, I have been warning everyone about such issues. However, the majority (not all) of people thought I was crazy or making these things up. Well, here it is folks
This bill is FAR from dead. You need to keep writing and opposing this bill. Do NOT support PETA. Do NOT support HSUS. Do NOT support API and all the AR groups like them. Because if you do, you will support this bill. (Do not confuse these groups with your local societies).
p.s. Sorry about the loss of pictures in my signature. My image hosting site is down, hopefully it will come back soon.