Need advice, Silver Bengal Kitten

dengt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

We picked up a 9 week old silver bengal kitten from a breeder last week. She is very social and playful and runs after us all the time. Loves to be held and sit on your lap. A few areas of concern:

1. She barely drinks. We keep leaving water for her but she seems not interested in drinking.

2. She eats canned food very well, but doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t eat dry food. She tried to eat it and looks like she can't chew on it. We give her IAMS kitten.

3. She meows non-stop unless she is held, then she becomes quiet. This can't be a normal behavior even for Bengal breed, what do you think?

4. She uses litter box only if we put her there, doesn't look like she goes there herself.

I would appreciate any info

Thanks

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I don't know about bengals specifically, although I have heard that they are a vocal species. There are bengal owners and at least one breeder in the forums who I'm sure will be along soon to answer your questions.

For cats in general, 9 weeks is awfully young for a kitten to be taken from its mother. She may not even be completely weaned by then. She would also be better socialized a few weeks later. Most breeders won't let kittens go until they're 12-16 weeks.

There's nothing wrong with feeding a totally wet diet if you can afford it. The kitty will get most of the liquid she needs from the wet food and you don't have to worry about her drinking a lot of water. What was the breeder feeding her? If you're trying to introduce a new dry food it needs to be done gradually. Start with the food she's been eating and mix a small amount of the new food in. Every two or three days increase the proportion of the new food until eventually you're switched over completely. The process could take a week or two. You may also find that she simply doesn't like the food. I tried Iams at one point and none of my kitties would touch it.

You said she only uses the litter box when you put her there. Is she peeing or pooping outside the litter box other times? Give her twenty minutes or so after she eats, then put her in the litter box. The idea is to develop a habit and hopefully she will start going to the box on her own after she eats. You could also try using Kitten Attract litter.

The constant meowing may be because she's so young and she's missing her mother. Or it may just be her personality. None of my cats are very vocal so I haven't had to deal with this. Someone else may have more ideas for you.

Oh yeah, one more thing. We love kitty

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My biggest concern is you have a 9 week old Bengal kitten. Ethical breeders of purebreds will never let a kitten go before its 3-4 months old for several reasons.

1. They are not totally weaned till about 8 weeks old.
2. They are still learning about the litter box.
3. They need important social time with mom/siblings to be mentally and physically ready to leave.
4. They have all their shots and are spayed/neutered before you get them.

I suspect this is from a backyard breeder due to the kitten's age. Kittens under 10-12 weeks old will have behavior problems cause they were taken too young from everyone.

Its best to feed both canned and dry - IAMS dry is not that great (the canned is better). I would feed a higher quality kitten food like Wellness, Natural Balance, Innova, or similar. Also you can get canned kitten food in those brands too.

Sounds like the social and litter pan problems are due more to her not being properly socialied by the person you got him from and that will take time to work it all out.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
#3 Isn't that odd of behavior for a kitten - of any breed. It's simply not going to be used to being alone at that age. And, yes, you may have a more clingy kitten, too.

I have one that I found at 10 weeks old who would cry if left alone (that's how I found him in the first place). For the first year of his life I couldn't leave him alone because of that - thankfully I had another, older, cat. He's over 2 and a half years old and is still a loud little cat that will cry if he's in a room alone.

Since this kitten is young, and will be a high energy breed, do you have another cat or plans to get another cat?

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your concerns are valid, but none of them are bengal specific.

I am a bengal cat breeder.

1. Your kitten was handed over to you by the breeder much too soon. 12 weeks is minimum time for a breeder to let a kitten go to it's new home.

Therefore.........she is needy, lonely, missing her dam and littermates, vocalizing it and acting insecure by following you everywhere.

Her litterbox habits are not completely learned and ingrained. You will now have to teach her to do the right thing. Remain vigilant and look for signs that she needs to use the box. Take her there and praise her profusely for using the box. She will get the message.

2. Kittens of this age have tiny teeth and they are just learning to chew. Give her time with the kibble. Soak it in a bit of water to moisten it up so she can chew it more easily. Cats/Kittens don't all drink lots of water. If she's on wet food, she's probably getting enough mositure and doesn't need much water. Offer plenty of clean water anyway.

#. Good luck and welcome to owning a Bengal!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dengt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for all the responses. Was very nice to hear from the bengal breeder

Ok, the kitten is now 11 weeks. She got used to the house, seems to find litterbox no problem as well as food.

She eats only canned food, seems to ignore IAMS dry food.

How much food should we give her? She eats a lot and if the plate gets empty she meows until we give her more.

How much do kitten sleep usually? She seems to sleep when we are not home and she also sleeps at night.

She doesn't meow non stop , but she meows a lot even when held, is it normal for Bengal breed to meow a lot, and is there a way to reduce it?

Thank you all

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dengt

Thank you for all the responses. Was very nice to hear from the bengal breeder

Ok, the kitten is now 11 weeks. She got used to the house, seems to find litterbox no problem as well as food.

She eats only canned food, seems to ignore IAMS dry food.
Please try to offer her a higher quality dry food made for kittens, if possible. IAMS is not a great dry food, and cats can be picky and prefer certain brands over another. I feed my bengals (and therefore other cats) Royal Canin dry, which although not the best, is a fairly high quality. Avoid the Babycat kibble as it is extremely small and the kittens can choke on it.

How much food should we give her? She eats a lot and if the plate gets empty she meows until we give her more.
Kittens that young should be fed as much as they can eat - I think at least 3-4 feedings a day at this age, especially if she isn't eating any dry to supplement. Bengals are high energy and burn off their food faster than other breeds or domestics, and kittens are high energy anyway. There is no way you can overfeed a kitten, IMO.

As she gets older and needs less fuel, she will naturally start eating a little less.

How much do kitten sleep usually? She seems to sleep when we are not home and she also sleeps at night.
This sounds very normal and isn't a concern. Be sure to play with her as much as possible when you are with her, especially before bedtime to tire her out.

She doesn't meow non stop , but she meows a lot even when held, is it normal for Bengal breed to meow a lot, and is there a way to reduce it?

Thank you all
You really can't stifle a bengal. They are a very vocal breed, and love to talk. Because you chose a bengal, this is one of the natural qualities that bengals have that you will just have to get used to, I'm sorry to say.

Personally, I LOVE talkative cats. I love to have conversations with my bengals.

What's your girl's name and do you have any pictures of her? We love kitten pics on TCS.

kody's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bengals are very vocal, it is one of the characteristics of the breed. If you can believe it I have read that Siamese talk even more

Kody does talk alot and there are times I do wish not quite so much, but in general I do talk back and hold a conversation with him. Most of the time it is that he is hungry with an empty bowl--which at times is just too bad--or is excited or even bored. If we play with him for just a few minutes he usually quiets down.

As I think others have responded, a good canned, or even raw, food is better. But, for convenience, and because he absolutely loves it and is so insistant at the pantry door, he gets Taste of the Wild dry for 1/2 of his food. It is an all stages diet, so I assume it is good for kittens, too, and it is grain free, which I think is good for bengals. It is the only dry food he will eat and I am afraid he is addicted! I tried all the high quality kibbles and he turns his nose up at all of them but TOTW.

Anne

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have 2 Oci's (Jack 7 months old and Charlie 2 1/2 yrs old). Jack is a little chatter box - he is very vocal and has something to say about everything (but at least his meow is very quiet/kitten like.....thank God). Charlie is much louder but he's not as much as a talker.

Each kitten is different.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dengt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your responses.

I guess I am stuck with meowing kitten. The breeder is saying meowing diminishes as they grow. Is that true?

Also, if we get another cat, will she become less vocal ?

Thanks

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats in general do usually get a little quieter as they get older but she may well remain vocal. Another cat if it is also active will give her a playmate which will burn off more energy, it did that for my kitten when I got another kitten. I don't know if it makes them less vocal though they were vocal when they played together and still are when they play. They make a lot of sounds to each other that aren't meows and I have no idea what they mean.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

We have 2 Oci's (Jack 7 months old and Charlie 2 1/2 yrs old). Jack is a little chatter box - he is very vocal and has something to say about everything (but at least his meow is very quiet/kitten like.....thank God). Charlie is much louder but he's not as much as a talker.

Each kitten is different.
Maybe yours are broken
All of mine like to chat, and it's a chain reaction one starts and they all carry it on - not all the time, but several times a day especially when I get home or they want to play.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do NOT have a broken Oci

I'm glad that Charlie doesn't talk a lot - with his loud meow, he would drive us insane if he talked as much as his brother does. He'll answer you if you call his name and ask where he is or what's he doing.