Question Of The Day - Wednesday, May 6th!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
G' Mornin'! It's a beautiful spring day outside. The girls were bugging me early to open up the sun room for them! I've got three big holes to dig, to plant some redbud trees that were given to me. It's supposed to rain this evening, so that will work out perfectly!

Here's today's Question Of The Day!

Do you plan to plant, or have you planted a garden this year?

I have mostly perennial flower gardens, and I always plant a few annuals too. I'm not a big veggie eater, but I think I'll put in some green beans and tomatoes. Of course, I have my raspberries going like gangbusters. I used to plant strawberries, but they sort of petered out. I think I might try them again this year. Here in Michigan, it's usually safe (from frost) to put in your garden after Mother's day.

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
me and my mom have planted some tulips we bought from Amsterdam, and the head have started popping up already

Our garden isn't really big enough for strawberries etc.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm in an apartment so don't have a garden as such, but I do have lots of planters. I'm getting excited about what to grow this year. I have a little mini garden on the grounds that is made up of bulbs. They're coming up at an amazing rate now!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a brown thumb, so I am not much good at growing things ... except basil in porch planters. It is very easy to grow, very hard to kill and I make pesto out of it. I need to go get some of the special basil that I love at the farmers market in Oakland County.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I kinda have this hobby business-landcaping you know!! Plus 5 acres of land.

I try to keep my spending to under $1000 though...... (I'm over $300 already though for the year).

Lots of container planting-about a dozen or so. The 1/4 acre veg garden.
We want to work on a couple areas of our property so I'm thinking about 5-7 trees for sure. Not sure on the shrubs-but it may be a couple dozen (yikes!). Too early in the season to think about all of this spending yet.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have mostly perennial flower gardens, and I always plant a few annuals too.
That sounds like me. I've set out 2 azaleas, a hydrangea, about a dozen hostas, and lots and lots of impatiens. I've planted 14 planters so far. I still have a flat of assorted annuals, 3 seed-starter trays, and a gorgeous flowering quince to plant. Unfortunately, I have idea where to put the quince; it has killer thorns on the brances but the flowers are so amazing I couldn't keep myself from buying it.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've just planted some pansies and some trailing plants in my pots this afternoon

In the back garden are various flowering shrubs and rose bushes that i planted when i moved in over 2 years ago

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Although I'd love to plant one, the yard around our house is still pretty crappy from the construction. Maybe next year!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Rob is the one with the green thumb in our family. As it's a rental property, we don't mess too much with the plantings. There's rhubarb that was there when we moved in, and it's going great guns. We plant scarlet runner beans on the north fence every year -- they've germinated and sprouted and are almost big enough to put in the ground. Other than that, we do cherry tomatoes in large tubs, and assorted herbs and nasturtiums in containers on the back porch. This year's nasturtium seeds had an appalling germination rate, and I think I'm going to see if I can get some more, because it doesn't look like we're going to get much out of these.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by libby74

a gorgeous flowering quince to plant. Unfortunately, I have idea where to put the quince; it has killer thorns on the brances but the flowers are so amazing I couldn't keep myself from buying it.
Plant the quince in a spot you can put chicken wire around in in late winter as rabbits LOVE this plant. My poor quince plants this time of year are only about 3-4 inches tall with flowers practically on the ground!