Sugar. We've come full circle

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen two products now advertise that they use 'real sugar' which has been taboo since the 80s.

I remember a day when products boasted that they used sugar, but it was 25 years ago! Anyone remember Sugar Frosted Flakes? Tony thought they were GRRRRREAT. How about Super Sugar Crisps? Cant get enough of super sugar crisps!!! Remember that song?

The other day I noticed a Pepsi throwback commercial, they are bringing back the disco theme, and they advertised that they use natrual sugar.

Then tonight I noticed Snapple had a commercial and they too said, at the end 'sweetened with real sugar'.

For 25 years saying that your product included sugar was taboo. Now it's coming back, strong.

Neat to see how things come back around.

Course I remember my mother use to eat this diet candy, called Ayds (pronounced aids). But that sure went off the market quickly

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

Course I remember my mother use to eat this diet candy, called Ayds (pronounced aids). But that sure went off the market quickly
Yeah, I guess they'd have a hard time marketing that one!

I haven't yet seen the Pepsi throwback here in Canada, but I'm actually looking forward to trying it. Pepsi is about the only pop I drink, and I'd prefer real sugar to fructose-glucose stuff.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is another thread about the Pepsi/Mountain Dew sugar soda. Its so much better tasting and I'm not a big soda drinker.

High fructoe corn syrup is one of those ingredients I watch for so I've either stopped buying some stuf or switched to organic products instead.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can only say that I've never in my life bought into the hype about sugar being bad, bacon being bad, butter being bad, etc.

I eat as many "natural" foods as I can, eat in moderation, and don't eat fast food or pre-packaged foods. Except for my lungs and 49 years of smoking I am in good health and so is my husband. He's 55, weighs pretty much what he did when we married 30+ years ago and is also in good health.

I've always believed that natural foods are much better for us than substitutes like margarine and artificial sweetners to name a couple.

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think it begs the question: "what the heck have they found out about the artificial sweeteners that they're not telling us"?

And I well remember Ayds! They were like chocolate candy. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by threecatowner

I think it begs the question: "what the heck have they found out about the artificial sweeteners that they're not telling us"?
True artifical sweeteners (like aspartame) were originally developed for chemical warfare! Too much can cause ulcers, upset stomach, headaches and many other problems. Corn syrup isn't quite the same but I'm with Yosemite, the less processing and refinement the better.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

True artifical sweeteners (like aspartame) were originally developed for chemical warfare!
That's a myth. Aspartame was discovered accidentally while trying to make an anti-ulcer drug in the '60s.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

That's a myth. Aspartame was discovered accidentally while trying to make an anti-ulcer drug in the '60s.
Darn! And it sounded so good.
I'll have to school hubby then because he's the one that told me it was.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are those who believe that the introduction of high-fructose corn syrup precipitated the obesity epidemic we are now suffering. We didn't have that problem when we had real sugar.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
true, but i think the fast food era, and the complacent attitude of the baby boomers are completely to blame for the obesity in this country.

it's just getting worse with the Gen x crowd. much worse.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Portion size has also changed. I went to BK a few months ago (that's about how often I eat fast foor) and odrered a Medium meal and I swear the drink cup was at least 32 oz. How is that medium?! I was expecting 20 maybe!

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yeah, I went to taco bell, and I always ask for the biggest coke/pepsi a restaurant has...... I drink a LOT of fluids, though usually not soda.

well I got my drink alright. a HALF GALLON. as a single drink!!!!!!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Drink size doesn't matter that much. With as much ice as the cups are filled with you still only get 12-20 oz of soda.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
there was WAY more than 20oz of soda in my half gallon drink. believe me

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Drink size doesn't matter that much. With as much ice as the cups are filled with you still only get 12-20 oz of soda.
It's not just drink size either. The fry I got with my medium meal was the same as what a super size was 5 years ago.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

there was WAY more than 20oz of soda in my half gallon drink. believe me
Try a little experiment with some of the larger cups. Fill them up with crushed ice to within an inch of the top, then see how many ounces of fluid it will hold with all of that ice. You'd probably be surprised how little it is compared to what they try to sell you.

I've done this with 32 oz, 44oz, and 66oz. It's still not that much liquid. I haven't tried it with a 72 oz cup yet. And if anyone wonders, I like huge cups of ice water.

As for the fries and burgers, that's slowly been inching up for years.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, I don't drink that much pop (soda for you US folks) in a year.

One thing I have also found is that the portion sizes in the US are huge! There is usually enough in one serving for 4 people. That can't be good.

A few years ago 3 of my friends and I went to a ski/golf resort in NY state. The first night we went to dinner in the dining room - great food. However, we made the mistake of each ordering an appetizer and then a dinner. The amounts in each order were staggering. There was no way on God's green earth that we would be able to consume that much food. Every night thereafter we agreed on one appetizer and split it between us and even then we still could not eat all of our meal and we are not small eaters by any means.

Maybe we are eating more than we need to keep our bodies healthy - just a thought.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

One thing I have also found is that the portion sizes in the US are huge! There is usually enough in one serving for 4 people. That can't be good.

A few years ago 3 of my friends and I went to a ski/golf resort in NY state. The first night we went to dinner in the dining room - great food. However, we made the mistake of each ordering an appetizer and then a dinner. The amounts in each order were staggering. There was no way on God's green earth that we would be able to consume that much food. Every night thereafter we agreed on one appetizer and split it between us and even then we still could not eat all of our meal and we are not small eaters by any means.

Maybe we are eating more than we need to keep our bodies healthy - just a thought.
yeah I know what you mean about that. sit down restaurants here have big portions. i've been told that from foreigners before. Especially when I was a bartender in college at a hotel that served dinner in the bar. that was 25 years ago!!!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

A lot of us say pop.
http://popvssoda.com:2998/

And I agree, it's not just what's in the food it's how much one eats. How many have seen others admitting to or have admitted to eating a whole bag of potato chips in one day?

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i've definitely done that. in fact, my fav chips are salt and vinegar, i'll eat so many that it starts to physically burn my tongue. If that weren't the case, i'd eat a whole bag in a day for sure.

I'm fortunate enough to work off most of the garbage i eat, but it bugs me how unhealthy i eat