Adopted a New Cat, First week was fine, now ALL Meows!!

bobbyphx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Everyone,

I'm new here, done some searches and some reading, but I still need your help and thought you might be able to help me.

3 weeks ago I adopted a 2 year old cat from a shelter, his name is Chuck (neutered on 4/14 and we adopted him 4/18). Chuck won my partner and I over and we went back the day after we met him to get him. His first week at home was amazing. The PERFECT cat. Loved to cuddle, sleep, play.. just amazing. Then, 1.5 weeks ago.. it started.
Meowing. And, it hasn't stopped.

NON-STOP 24/7 as he walks meowing! All night long. I don't mean regular meowing, its like a crying. Of course when we play with him he stops, when he's eating (which food is out all the time).

But we don't know what to do. We read to stop paying him attention, doesnt work. We took him to the vet, clean bill of health. We bought more toys and stuff, thinking he was bored, still cries. We give him food all day (he always has dry food), still not happy. He has a clean litterbox, all the time.

We're at whitts end, and we're getting to the point of considering giving him back because we can't sleep. We don't want to though, he won us over...
but we can't live like this in a one bedroom apartment!!

Please help me with any and all ideas! I wanna zap him into being a perfect kitty!

Your newest member,
Bobby in Phoenix

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BobbyPHX

Hello Everyone,

I'm new here, done some searches and some reading, but I still need your help and thought you might be able to help me.

3 weeks ago I adopted a 2 year old cat from a shelter, his name is Chuck (neutered on 4/14 and we adopted him 4/18). Chuck won my partner and I over and we went back the day after we met him to get him. His first week at home was amazing. The PERFECT cat. Loved to cuddle, sleep, play.. just amazing. Then, 1.5 weeks ago.. it started.
Meowing. And, it hasn't stopped.

NON-STOP 24/7 as he walks meowing! All night long. I don't mean regular meowing, its like a crying. Of course when we play with him he stops, when he's eating (which food is out all the time).

But we don't know what to do. We read to stop paying him attention, doesnt work. We took him to the vet, clean bill of health. We bought more toys and stuff, thinking he was bored, still cries. We give him food all day (he always has dry food), still not happy. He has a clean litterbox, all the time.

We're at whitts end, and we're getting to the point of considering giving him back because we can't sleep. We don't want to though, he won us over...
but we can't live like this in a one bedroom apartment!!

Please help me with any and all ideas! I wanna zap him into being a perfect kitty!

Your newest member,
Bobby in Phoenix
It sounds to me your cat has a health issue, and you need to take him to the vet ASAP. He might be in pain. This clean bill of health: did the vet run any tests? Is the kitty peeing and pooping ok? Is he sleeping well, or is agitated? A cat will sleep a LOT. I would take him to the vet again - this doesn't sound normal at all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bobbyphx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He didnt run tests major, but, mind you, the whole time Chuck was at the vet he didnt meow once. The car ride, he didnt meow once. He wasnt meowing at the shelter either. He only does it at home.

He check his eyes, ears, ran smaller tests on him.. he said he couldnt find anything medically wrong with him.

Ugh.

madara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What, its the car rides where cats start meowing like mad. Hrmm, weirdness, sounds like a trigger is in your house setup or behavior you may have inertly taught him? I would try an hour session to wear him out with various toys before bed and completely ignore him during rest to see if he breaks that.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you know of any stray or neighbor cats that roam the neighborhood?

How was he housed at the shelter--in an open room with other cats? In a separate cage, alone or with a cage mate?

Leslie

bobbyphx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He was in a separate cage when I saw him. He was only with the shelter for 15 days prior to that.

We've tried wearing him out, and it didn't work.

When he's pre-occupied he's fine. Licking, eating, sleeping, playing, no problem! The SECOND he's done with one of those he starts meowing. While he's walking, or anything.

I just am at wits end here.

I took him back to the vet, some office, different doctor. Didn't cry ONCE while there, again, and again was told, after tests, not a medical issue.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could be hormones, smelling a female nearby in season. As he was newly neutered, and it takes up to 2 months for their hormones to settle.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's what I was getting at missy.

Or perhaps the smell of tom cats in the neighborhood is throwing him off.

Could you perhaps find a video on youtube of a cat meowing and see how he reacts--if he meows back that will show he's interested in another cat?

I think patience is key until the hormones settle from the neuter.

Leslie

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you tried Feliway? It is phermones that calm many cats.

With all the changes in his life recently I wouldn't think I'd be concerned yet and that he would get over it. I've only had cats react like that due to grief and one who did it in later years when she became deaf. We assumed she did it to feel the vibrations since she couldnt hear herself and she didnt know she was deaf? She was loud too! She also had a hyperactive thryoid. I think your cat is too young for that though.

Sending good vibes to you! Very hard place to be.

ckblv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Quiet in the car on the way to the Vet? Wow. That is rare.
Mercedes cusses me out loudly all the way there.

bobbyphx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello there! What a great group of people here!

I went to the Vet today, again, ran tests and he checked out ok. Now, I was able to record his meow last night I played it back for them it was described as "howeling."

We read through all of his papers that came with him and found out for sure, that he used to be a stray. He's probably howeling because we don't let him out. She prescribed him Prozac. Who knew cats can have Prozac?

She said it'll help with the anxiety he has and it'll be a good mood enhancer for him as well.

I also went to PetsMart and bought ComfortZone. http://www.petcomfortzone.com/

Let's see if that helps. Ugh Im praying!

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BobbyPHX

Hello there! What a great group of people here!

I went to the Vet today, again, ran tests and he checked out ok. Now, I was able to record his meow last night I played it back for them it was described as "howeling."

We read through all of his papers that came with him and found out for sure, that he used to be a stray. He's probably howeling because we don't let him out. She prescribed him Prozac. Who knew cats can have Prozac?

She said it'll help with the anxiety he has and it'll be a good mood enhancer for him as well.

I also went to PetsMart and bought ComfortZone. http://www.petcomfortzone.com/

Let's see if that helps. Ugh Im praying!
Good! Keep us updated, poor little guy!