B.G. (Before Grain) canned food

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I saw this in the small pet shop from where I special order Luna's limited ingredient diet and picked it up for Top Cat. It had six flavors: Chicken, Turkey, Beef, Tuna, Quail, and Salmon. Just the meat/fish in each can and water. No vitamins, preservatives, whatsoever.

The first can we tried was the salmon. Top Cat loved it, but I made the mistake of putting another heaping spoonful that he did not finish. Luna - the cat on the special diet - finished it. Sometime later that evening, she had an asthma attack. We made sure not to leave any more of the food out when she was around.

The biggest question is about the can with 100% tuna. I always read that tuna was bad for cats. How could 100% tuna - and nothing else (besides water) - be good?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would feed it in moderation ( as I would all NOT complete cans ) ...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
well right now, he's only eaten enough for it to be considered a treat. HOWEVER, my main goal is to incorporate wet food as a major part of his diet. So maybe I won't get this too often.

However, what about the tuna? I am anxious about what effects it may have on his health, even though it is 'approved' for cats.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
tuna is high in the heavy metals so I follow an old old rule no more than 6 oz a week

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Starfish

well right now, he's only eaten enough for it to be considered a treat. HOWEVER, my main goal is to incorporate wet food as a major part of his diet. So maybe I won't get this too often.

However, what about the tuna? I am anxious about what effects it may have on his health, even though it is 'approved' for cats.
The BG canned food is only meant for supplemental feedings, not a major part of his diet. (as recommended on the can itself) (this applies for all of their canned food...so again, if your goal is to have the majority of his diet be wet food, this is not a good food for it... only for supplemental)

As for tuna, I asked about it as well and found a few things:

http://catnutrition.wordpress.com/20...ding-for-cats/ (not specific to tuna, but fish in general)

http://www.cat-world.com.au/FeedingFish.htm
excerpt
Steatitis is a painful condition resulting from a diet high in unsaturated fatty acids & deficient in Vitamin E. Tuna is the most comonly known cause of this problem
Hope that helps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

The BG canned food is only meant for supplemental feedings, not a major part of his diet. (as recommended on the can itself) (this applies for all of their canned food...so again, if your goal is to have the majority of his diet be wet food, this is not a good food for it... only for supplemental)

As for tuna, I asked about it as well and found a few things:

http://catnutrition.wordpress.com/20...ding-for-cats/ (not specific to tuna, but fish in general)

http://www.cat-world.com.au/FeedingFish.htm
excerpt

Hope that helps.
thanks, it's weird though that the cans come in such a big size (5.5 oz, though the web sells 3 oz.). I couldn't possibly share it with Luna, especially since her asthma attack after the last sample.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Starfish

thanks, it's weird though that the cans come in such a big size (5.5 oz, though the web sells 3 oz.). I couldn't possibly share it with Luna, especially since her asthma attack after the last sample.
Freeze it
I freeze cat food in ice cube trays (because its cheaper to buy large cans), put the ice cubes in a ziploc, and then thaw one cube overnight to feed in the morning. (or how ever many cubes you need for feeding)

hope that helps if you like the food. (I like it, and only use about 1/3 can per feed, so I freeze the rest for the next week)

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

Freeze it
I freeze cat food in ice cube trays (because its cheaper to buy large cans), put the ice cubes in a ziploc, and then thaw one cube overnight to feed in the morning. (or how ever many cubes you need for feeding)

hope that helps if you like the food. (I like it, and only use about 1/3 can per feed, so I freeze the rest for the next week)
I do the same thing, but thaw it on the microwave for 20 seconds... Its great a great idea actually - I have now 4 different flavors in ziplock bags, so kitty has the variety he likes on his diet, and no food gets spoiled. Because Bugsy only eats 1 cube a day, one 5.5 oz can will last 6 days!