helping someone catch feral kittens

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I need some advice. I cruise Craigslist and found a post from a woman in a community that's kinda far from me... opposite side of town. She has 6 week old feral kittens living in her garage. They are afraid of her - naturally. I suggested live trapping but she is concerned they are too small to trigger the trip plate.

She tried grabbing one with her bare hand - BIG MISTAKE! The kitten bit her and drew blood. Told her to clean that injury THOROUGHLY and to call her doctor just to be safe.

I had told her to use heavy work gloves or a blanket to catch them if she didn't have a live trap. Or lure them into a pet carrier and close the door.

What other advice can I give her? Mom cat is VERY feral or VERY frightened won't let this woman near her. Momma needs to get fixed, too.

Sigh.... this is going on everywhere here.... toooooooo many kittens!!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They're not too small to trip the plate - wherever she's going to borrow the trap from, she should just let them know it's young kittens, and the tension can be changed. The live trap is definitely the best way to go.

Quick question - what is she going to do with them once they're trapped? Have them spayed/neutered and release them back into her garage? Or is she going to foster them?

Laurie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

They're not too small to trip the plate - wherever she's going to borrow the trap from, she should just let them know it's young kittens, and the tension can be changed. The live trap is definitely the best way to go.

Quick question - what is she going to do with them once they're trapped? Have them spayed/neutered and release them back into her garage? Or is she going to foster them?

Laurie
She is going to look after them and rehome them. She wants to keep one or two, and she knows another person who wants one. She was asking about age for first shots and all that. Told her to quarantine them - have a place ready for them in her home, etc. (and for their own safety.)

Maybe our rescue can take one or two... I don't know about our current foster home situation. Or if she catches them, maybe she can foster them for us.

Yeah - just emailed her back about a half hour ago and said the tension can be adjusted if they are that small. I also told her to keep feeding them and that will help to get them comfortable with her presence. And the sooner she can trap them the better, for taming them.

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She could try the water bottle trick if they are too small. Instead of setting the trap normally, set it with a water bottle propping it open. Tie some string around the bottle, when they are in there pull the water bottle away.