Mad

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had our buck and doe April 24. On April 25, we went to the hotel our reception is at and gave them $2500. $1500 of it was from our buck and doe and $1000 was a cheque from my mom. I asked them if they would take a post dated cheque because my mom said she didn't have the money until May 1. The lady said yes.

My mom called me last night and said the cheque was returned because they cashed it April 27. Why would they take a cheque to the bank that is dated May 1 and cash it on April 27? Why would the bank even take it?

It just makes me really mad because now my mom has to go and mail them another cheque because they messed up.

scottf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Could be they maybe counted everything down at the end of the shift and your checks somehow got in with everything else. They stamped everything and dropped it in the bank deposit box. Stuff like that happens, but yeah, it is annoying.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's annoying, but does happen when you have a fair amount of paper to process...and people, I think, are getting less expert since so much is done electronically, but still a bummer for you!

And, sorry, have to ask - what is a buck & doe? An engagement party? I've just never heard that term but it sounds so cute.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ScottF

Could be they maybe counted everything down at the end of the shift and your checks somehow got in with everything else. They stamped everything and dropped it in the bank deposit box. Stuff like that happens, but yeah, it is annoying.
I understand that can happen, but the bank shouldn't have cashed it in April when it was dated May 1.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

And, sorry, have to ask - what is a buck & doe? An engagement party? I've just never heard that term but it sounds so cute.
It's like a big party where people come and play games and drink and the bride and groom make money to put towards their wedding. Also called a stag and doe.

This link explains it a little better. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stag_and_doe

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I did some research, and apparently a check, regardless of the date is considered a promissory note to be paid on demand. I found this snippet from a site:

Is My Bank Allowed to Cash a Check with a Date in the Future?
Generally, a bank may cash your check when they receive it, even if your check is paid before the date you wrote on the check. However, in some circumstances if you give the bank reasonable notice, they will be prevented from cashing it until the date on the check.
That being said, perhaps if you call your bank and calmly explain the situation, maybe they'll waive the fees. I doubt it, but it may be worth a try.