caught my first big male!

calismom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For all of those who don't know I set up a program with my local animal clinic to trap and release unfixed cats in our neighborhood. They would fix them for 5 dollars and then I could release them back outside. Well I caught my first male last night. He is huge! here is a picture of him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calismom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ok something weird. do you ever think that if cats could speak what kind of voices they would have? hmmm I think ill post a thread about that. this guy I picture talking with a scottish brough(sp?).

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay! You are so awesome! I think you ought to start a thread (if you havent already) in "Caring for Strays and Ferals" to document your adventures in trapping and inspire others.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my, what a handsome boy! And though he doesn't understand it, you are doing a wonderful thing for him!

breellablue

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
YOU.ARE.AWESOME!

Don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise. And your veterinarian-- totally awesome too.

calismom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I couldn't help but notice how beat up he was, with scratches all over his face, it must be horrible to be that beat up all the time! and I know now he will have no need to get into fights and will be a happier healthier cat!

calismom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
oh and its not really a vet its the low cost spay and neuter clinic by my house.

calismom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
actually they only notch if its a common colored cat. and he was wearing a pretty ratty flea collar so he might belong to someone who may appreciate the neuter but not the chunk out of his ear. Im actually really conflicted doing this. I know im doing a good thing but what if the owners of the cats somehow find out Im doing this and come after me? I know they should have had this done in the first place but can they sue me or anything?

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calismom

actually they only notch if its a common colored cat. and he was wearing a pretty ratty flea collar so he might belong to someone who may appreciate the neuter but not the chunk out of his ear. Im actually really conflicted doing this. I know im doing a good thing but what if the owners of the cats somehow find out Im doing this and come after me? I know they should have had this done in the first place but can they sue me or anything?
I was wondering the same thing. There are a few cats around here I think belong to someone and I know they aren't fixed. So I'd be interested in this answer too.

breellablue

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
the judge would laugh in their faces if anyone tried to sue you. You're doing both your community and the cats a favor.

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is this little girl kitty (she's actually really mean, to me and my kitties) but I know she isn't fixed. Think of her owners shock if she was gone for the night and then she came home the next day with an incision on her tummy. Kind of makes me laugh. I don't think I'd feel too bad for them though.

calismom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That actually makes me feel very relieved, well Im off to pick up the big guy! I also posted an ad on craigslist to see if someone would claim him but no one has yet. its sad if he does have a home that they haven't even noticed that hes missing. Why even have a cat if your just going to let it wander around all the time? I would feel like Im just feeding a stray. Well Ill let you know what I catch tonight! Its horrible the number of cats around here that are living out of the dumpsters. I definatly have my work cut out for me! Im really trying to catch this very small and pregnant grey and white that I see eating out of the trash all the time. she looks like shes only 5 or 6 months old.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
$5????????? WOW - that is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a wonderful thing you're doing for these kitties!

What one of our members does when she finds a kitty with a collar (OK, so this is a ratty flea collar) is she writes a short note with her number on it and attaches it to the collar. In fact, for kitties that look cared for, she keeps collars around to attach notes to. Still has them spayed and neutered - but she works with a rescue, and if they can't find an owner, they help rehome the strays (but just release the ferals). Just a thought for the future.

Since you won't be ear-tipping all of them, I'd really recommend a notebook and a polaroid camera (or take the time to print out pics from your phone or digital camera). Believe me, when you and the cat have completely stressed out only to find it's one you've already had sterilized....

...as to being sued? It's only a problem if you're trapping on THEIR property. If kitty was left to roam, it is not an issue.

for the wonderful work you're doing!

Laurie

breellablue

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good Luck. I know many of my boyfriends mothers cats are indoor/outdoor, and even one of mine has taken to going outside now... However they are all altered.

for all the good you're doing in the community. And if that grey one is that young a spay-abortion may be the best thing for her.

calismom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
yes If I catch her that is what im going to do or possibly foster her until the kittens are born. I can't stomach the thought of a spay abortion when she is as far along as she looks. The clinic I took Guardian to get fixed at offered to spay Cali at the same time. I quickly told her how far along she was and she goes "so?" I literally almost threw up.

breellablue

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, the program I work with is the same way-- I am kind of disgusted by late term abortions (which is how I ended up with 31 kittens right now!) but having been a pre-vet student I can kinda understand the medical perspective. It's on average, 3 less kittens in the world who may never find homes and would just end up in foster care, or a facility for the rest of their lives.

I finally got to see the location where the CNY CC takes the cats to be altered-- we have at least 30 cats there who will probably live out the rest of their lives there because no one wants to adopt them-- and these are some super friendly awesome cats (some are missing limbs, or have damage, but they are just as sweet.)