oops

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did something dumb this afternoon....

Did anyone ever tell you that, when you use a knife, you should cut away from yourself?

So I was still in my work uniform and I was kneeling on the floor of the mudroom at home using my trusty knife to cut a few zip ties on a container of roundup. The knife is a Buck knife that I have had for quite a few years and used for everything from irrigation repair to digging, to cleaning my fingernails, to gutting fish, etc... I keep the knife very sharp, so instead of grabbing the scissors that were in the same drawer as my knife, I just grabbed the knife. Anywho, I was cutting the zip tie, with the blade pointed toward me when the zip tie suddenly gave way, and the knife was instantly propelled toward my knee. In a split second, the tip of the knife ended up buried almost an inch in the side of my knee (yes I measured on the blade how deep it went in.)

To make a long story short, I ended up with three stitches and a large bruise. It took twice as much numbing stuff to numb me and the guy fished around quite a bit with the needle.

I am such a klutz and I totally knew better the instant the knife slipped.

jezmondo69

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i have done a few things like this recently, admitedly non resulting in injury, but you just know whats going to happen right from the start...

i wont shame myself by explaining what i did, but i sure hope that mends well for you anyways! sounds sore?

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eeek, that must have hurt!! I'd have probably turned green if that happened to me, I cant stand the feeling of something going through my skin, and it's even worse when you have to pull it out!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^ You should try having to walk, sit down, and pull a nail out of your foot so you can even get your shoe off. Not something I want to repeat.... a third time.

As I said to someone earlier. I guess it was one of those days?

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few years ago, DH was doing something with a sharp steak knife on the sofa. He got up to go to the kitchen and forgot that the knife was there. It had fallen between the cushions point up! Well, you guessed it. He sat down and it went into his leg about an inch or 2. The doctor told us that it just missed his sciatic nerve! If it had cut the nerve, he might have paralyzed his leg! He just got a few stitches.

Hope your knee heals fast.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
strange_wings, I know how it feels to get a nail in your foot with a shoe on.
It happened to me more then once when I was a kid.
I also did stupid things with scissors.
I was mad at my seal point siamese mix and went to grab her but it turned out to be the scissors.
The went through one side of my finger and came out the other side and i was stupid and did not see a Dr.
Another time I cut part way through my finger because I was using scissors instead of nail clippers.
I still have that scar after 20 years.
WELDRWOMN,
I hope you feel better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

^ You should try having to walk, sit down, and pull a nail out of your foot so you can even get your shoe off. Not something I want to repeat.... a third time.

As I said to someone earlier. I guess it was one of those days?
Ouch....really ouch

It was a Monday....'nuff said

Originally Posted by Catkiki

A few years ago, DH was doing something with a sharp steak knife on the sofa. He got up to go to the kitchen and forgot that the knife was there. It had fallen between the cushions point up! Well, you guessed it. He sat down and it went into his leg about an inch or 2. The doctor told us that it just missed his sciatic nerve! If it had cut the nerve, he might have paralyzed his leg! He just got a few stitches.

Hope your knee heals fast.
That just sounds incredibly painful and at the same time, embarrassing enough that I might have tried to make up another story. I am glad your DH feels better.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

^ You should try having to walk, sit down, and pull a nail out of your foot so you can even get your shoe off.
My mom did that once *shiver*. It went through her flip flop out in the yard, but she didnt even notice it until she tried to take her shoe off!

I have a nice scar on my left thumb from cutting towards myself with a knife. I was trying to cut a small box with some CDs in it open, and it slipped, and sheared a chunk of skin almost all the way off. I was about 12 or 13 then & my mom was at work. She thought it was a small cut and told me to put pressure on it. When she got home she was like
That could have used stitches!

Rob also cut himself when he was younger with a knife. Actually cut the tendon in his thumb, and they reconnected it. But its now shorter than the other hand, so when he bends his thumb in on that hand, the tops of all his fingers bend too.

Hope your knee feels better soon, I shudder just imagining one going 1" into my knee!

deedeemay

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was about 5 years old, my sister and I were playing in our bedroom..quite close to the chest of drawers and one of them had the handle missing, leaving about an inch of screw sticking out...(my dad later filed it down)

But before he did that, I got a little bit too close to the screw whilst playing, and it dug itself right into my knee, a few mm's away from the kneecap
And boy it hurt!

I still have the scar today, a small round one...that is one memory I wont forget!

Honey, I hope your knee heals quickly