Do you think cats are "social" animals.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a vet tell me when my cats were having issues it was because, "cats are not pack animals and do not enjoy being together." While I agree it is true they are not "pack" animals I believe they are social animals. What do other's think?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are social on the whole.
When they are forced together, whether in the home or not, they form social groups for surivival, and they have a definite matriarchy much like lion prides in those situations.

A cat that has never been a solitary does suffer depression when a solitary lifestyle is suddenly faced, such as when one of their social circle dies.

Feral cats form colonies, usually related females with one dominant male as a protector, it's a safety in numbers issue. But within a colony, individual cats often have their own territories.

I do disagree with your vet that your cats were having issues due to living together.
With the exception of extremes, most cats will adapt to living together even if they really never get along.

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes! We have social time in my house all the time. I always laugh when I see it because it reminds me of real people. Of course they are not pack orientated and my babies need a lot of time alone, BUT they LOVE to hang out.

If its play time, all my cats are hanging together, sometimes they donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t play they just sort of investigate things together, I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t know how to explain it but its almost like one is them says “Hey, wanna hang out and do stuffs?†and the other two agree happily. I truly believe all my cats love each other and love to hang out with each other.

My Vet recently told me the same thing. My Bugsy has serious mental issues and she blamed too many cats. She told me he vomits because hes afraid one of them will steal his food BUT Bugsy will not eat unless its beside Capone, she told me he needs to sleep in his own space BUT I have never seen him sleeping alone, ETC. It may be true for some cats, but not mine.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

Feral cats form colonies, usually related females with one dominant male as a protector, it's a safety in numbers issue. But within a colony, individual cats often have their own territories.
Exactly. I have yet to see a cat that doesn't at least try to be near humans or other cats. Cats simply do not like being completely alone. Even cats that don't get along with each other will feel more comfortable in an uncertain situation where there's another cat nearby.

This has to be something we've bred into them during domestication.

IMO, cats as loners and extremely independent (as in they don't need us) is nothing more than a stereotype.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

The National Geographic documentary on cats discussed this extensively. Of the felines, only lions and domestic cats are social.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zane's Pal

The National Geographic documentary on cats discussed this extensively. Of the felines, only lions and domestic cats are social.
I've seen a few documentaries about cheetahs, and some of them will mention that there has been a slight increase in cheetahs staying in pairs longer. Usually some adolescent big cats will do this but when they mature they split up. Apparently male cheetahs will stay together in a coalition, for life, and are very social.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zane's Pal

They're also the only cats that purr. Connection?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know I wonder if vets (and others) seeing cats as not social is because either their social hierarchy is constantly in flux and difficult to understand, or if it is because most cat food & veterinary care started out based on dogs? I don't know, but I've always thought it was better that they had each other, then when he made this comment I felt bad like I shouldn't force them to live together. I know that Levi prefers not to cuddle with the other cats, but I do wonder if he would be lonely without them? Not wanting to cuddle with the others is differnt than not wanting to live with the others.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by howtoholdacat

They're also the only cats that purr. Connection?
Where did you read this? Other cats can purr! All of the felidae family can, but the pantherinae subfamily can't -which includes lions. They can only make a purr like noise when exhaling.

I'm sure our member John (iirc, that's his name?) could tell you that his bobcats, lynx, and cougar can all purr.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't read it, I saw it on a nature program. I'm sure I'm not an expert on the subject! Lol! I will yield to your knowledge!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Angie, my old girl has not bonded with, or cuddled a cat since my male was PTS in 2000.
But I do know that when there are no other cats around, she cries and looks for them, is restless and doesn't sleep much.

Now that I have two other girls, she acts her normal self and ignores them almost completely.
She will groom a head or two when she's of a mood, but stays to herself otherwise.

mai_kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My group has closely bonded. Even my standoffish girl cares more than she lets on. Don't get me wrong they have their days when I have to defuse some upset cats but honestly at the end of the day when I have kitties purring and cuddling and grooming each other I know without a doubt that they love each other.

I really don't think they would be happier by themselves.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I didn't read it, I saw it on a nature program. I'm sure I'm not an expert on the subject! Lol! I will yield to your knowledge!
The show might have been a bit behind on information, or just glossed over that part a bit. It always seems to me that cat info gets the short end of the stick.
(hence why a vet would even consider domestic cats to be unsocial in the first place) I do remember watching several documentaries years ago and the mother cats always purred or made purr-like noises with cubs, and cheetahs doing so between siblings (even when older).

Also, I was double checking cheetah info earlier (trying to remember what their groups were called) and it even mentioned cheetahs being able to purr.
I remember in another post a while back where it was mentioned that Carmelo purred.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Angie, my old girl has not bonded with, or cuddled a cat since my male was PTS in 2000.
But I do know that when there are no other cats around, she cries and looks for them, is restless and doesn't sleep much.

Now that I have two other girls, she acts her normal self and ignores them almost completely.
She will groom a head or two when she's of a mood, but stays to herself otherwise.
I used to feel bad for Levi because the other 3 would be curled up in a pile on my bed & he would be by himself in the other room. I have since figured out that he is happy that way. I do think he would miss Jordan for sure. He & Jordan have been together since they were little.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lucky and Bugsy are very very bonded - they won't do anything alone anymore... Bugsy is very social with other cats as well... even cats he has never seen! Whenever we are outside and he sees my neighbor's cats, he walks right over to play with them... He did this from the first time he saw the neighbor's cat. Gracie (my neighbor's), is very territorial, and hisses at him... poor Bugsy looks at me as if he was saying "meowmy, why is she being mean"???
Poor kiddo!
I think it's a matter of personality - they are social, but take a while to trust and accept one another.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most cats enjoy being in groups, I think, but take time to accept a newcomer. But some are loners and never get to like others. My Cinders is like that, no matter what I do she hates other cats and I have to keep her in her own room and spend some time with her there. If she comes into contact with any of my others by accident, she throws herself into a fullscale fight and then spends days peeing everywhere. I have been through all the possible introduction techniques several times without success. Although the others fight sometimes and Dushka growls if anyone disturbs her, they are definitely a family. Dushka is the matriarch and Alpha, but Wellington is the protector and tells any visiting cats he may see through the window to get lost in no uncertain terms.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

The show might have been a bit behind on information, or just glossed over that part a bit. It always seems to me that cat info gets the short end of the stick.
(hence why a vet would even consider domestic cats to be unsocial in the first place) I do remember watching several documentaries years ago and the mother cats always purred or made purr-like noises with cubs, and cheetahs doing so between siblings (even when older).
I think you're right. I was trying to remember where I heard that. I watch a LOT of nature programs and tend to retain a lot of the information. It could be very old. It might be time for me to brush up on things!

That aside, I don't think I'd go to a vet who wrote my cats off as unsocial when I know them to be social. I've often wondered if teaching more animal behavior might be a good idea for vet school. I have a professional pet sitting business and find I'm often answering questions for clients about behavior specifically when they weren't satisfied with the answers they received from their vets. I guess the moral of the story is that not all vets are cat people!

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I think you're right. I was trying to remember where I heard that. I watch a LOT of nature programs and tend to retain a lot of the information. It could be very old. It might be time for me to brush up on things!

That aside, I don't think I'd go to a vet who wrote my cats off as unsocial when I know them to be social. I've often wondered if teaching more animal behavior might be a good idea for vet school. I have a professional pet sitting business and find I'm often answering questions for clients about behavior specifically when they weren't satisfied with the answers they received from their vets. I guess the moral of the story is that not all vets are cat people!
Actually he was Jordan's main vet for a couple years, but this incident cemented my thought to change vets. In addition, when they were fighting he mentioned that in order to get things better Jordan might have to go on medication. He just assumed that Jordan was the problem because Jordan is a dominant cat. I'm going to the same practice, but I found a vet I like better.

dwmeowmix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

I know that Levi prefers not to cuddle with the other cats, but I do wonder if he would be lonely without them? Not wanting to cuddle with the others is differnt than not wanting to live with the others.
You hit the nail on the head there! My Waco is a 10 year old siamese and is the undisputed RULER of the house. I had 4 cats at one time and he was always okay but never was really warm and fuzzy with them. Two of the original 4 have recently passed on and last September I rescued a beautiful little siamese girl about 2 years old from the local kill shelter. I did the whole gradual introduction thing with little Chasca living in my bathroom for a few weeks while from time-to-time I would bring her out in my arms for some sniffing "getting to know you" sessions. Waco, being extreme ruler of the universe did not take this well. He had little Chasca SO scared she let her water go while I was holding her! All over me, the carpet, Waco, the tile...well you get the picture. Anyway, there is a purpose to this story. While Waco is still rather independant, little Chasca & he are inseparable. Where he goes, she goes. They have bonded to a astonishing degree. Talk about a May-December romance!!!
I just look at them and shake my head and now I get to worry about how Chasca will take it when Waco inevidendably passes on.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DWMeowMix

You hit the nail on the head there! My Waco is a 10 year old siamese and is the undisputed RULER of the house. I had 4 cats at one time and he was always okay but never was really warm and fuzzy with them. Two of the original 4 have recently passed on and last September I rescued a beautiful little siamese girl about 2 years old from the local kill shelter. I did the whole gradual introduction thing with little Chasca living in my bathroom for a few weeks while from time-to-time I would bring her out in my arms for some sniffing "getting to know you" sessions. Waco, being extreme ruler of the universe did not take this well. He had little Chasca SO scared she let her water go while I was holding her! All over me, the carpet, Waco, the tile...well you get the picture. Anyway, there is a purpose to this story. While Waco is still rather independant, little Chasca & he are inseparable. Where he goes, she goes. They have bonded to a astonishing degree. Talk about a May-December romance!!!
I just look at them and shake my head and now I get to worry about how Chasca will take it when Waco inevidendably passes on.
That is interesting to me because Levi is actually the bottom kitty in my house. He sometimes gets picked on by Isaac (he's #2 in the house), then about once a month I bust them snuggling together at night.