Opinions please: Blue point ragdoll

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am looking at possibly getting this kitten. (pet quality)

He is 4wks old right now (in the pic)....I would love to hear opinions on him.

thanks

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The attached pic is of his mom.

This would be my first time buying from a registered breeder, if I chose to do so. So any opinions on the cat would be appreciated. Yah, he is a cute fluffball.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Chris, he's adorable! How many of us do you think would say no, don't get that gorgeous kitty?

If you can afford him and any associated vet/food costs, then by all means get this little fellow and give him a wonderful, forever home.

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know absolutely nothing about purebreds so I cant say anything. However, Oh my gosh!!!!!!! How cute!!! What a little fuzzball LOL

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Chris, he's adorable! How many of us do you think would say no, don't get that gorgeous kitty?

If you can afford him and any associated vet/food costs, then by all means get this little fellow and give him a wonderful, forever home.
LOL, yah I know that....

I was just looking for views on his standard from the breeders we have here. I won't be breeding him, and I won't be showing him....but if I'm going to spend the $$$ on him, I would like him to be a fair to good example of the breed

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is pretty.
You can research the breeder and make sure they are good.
Have you asked questions yet.
My friend Pat is a Ragdoll breeder in New Jersey.
She is president of the Ragdoll Club.
Her name is Pat Johansmeyer.
http://rfwclub.org/about.htm
There is a lot of info here on Ragdolls.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have much experience with baby Ragdoll's but at this stage I would say yes he is definitely pet quality. I think he is gorgeous though and since you aren't going to show him - does it matter??
Do you have a pic of the Daddy?

I'd love to see more pics of him and to see his body style - although I think in the US/Canada they breed for shorter bodies then here in NZ.

marsch21

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

I'd love to see more pics of him and to see his body style - although I think in the US/Canada they breed for shorter bodies then here in NZ.
Here on the West coast we breed for the long body. Some of the Ragdolls I have seen from back East seem to have a more cobby body style.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's interesting - although I love love love cobby bodies I do like my Ragdoll's to be of good length.

I just had a peek at your website - I love your studs. Ragdolls in the US seem to have shorter coats too? Not making general comments but as a judge, just interested in the difference from country to country

marsch21

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

That's interesting - although I love love love cobby bodies I do like my Ragdoll's to be of good length.

I just had a peek at your website - I love your studs. Ragdolls in the US seem to have shorter coats too? Not making general comments but as a judge, just interested in the difference from country to country
Hey no problem. Ragdolls do vary alot. I prefer our look over the more persianny coats I've seen on some. The really thick coats have a different feel to them and they tend to mat easier. Afterall Ragdoll coat should be non-matting.

Thanks for the compliments on our cats. Pics are old and I should update them. Our Wild Bill is a RW SGC. Biko's pic was taken at 1 year. He is absolutely gorgeous now.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I figured I would update this with: I've emailed the 'breeder' and declined the kitten. (with some help from a trusted source on here)

For the curious: my reasons

- the breeder's health guarentee. I don't like it. (basically I have 7 days to take it to the vet for an assessment, if there's anything wrong, it is cash back)

- no spay/neuter contract. If I want registration papers it would cost an extra $50, no proof of neuter needed. ( i believe in speutering your pets unless you are a breeder)

- age at which the kitten leaves. (she never answered me when I asked, but one of her other ads stated the kitten in the ad was 10.5wks and ready to go)

- She said she's registered with TICA but I could not find any info whatsoever on her.

- I asked the size of the father, as I prefer raggies on the higher end of the normal size range (say 16lbs or so). The father of the kitt I posted weighs 13lbs, no pics....and the 'breeder' stated that his weight would mean nothing to me because I was going to get the kitten neutered, and neuters weigh more.

Yup, they weigh more, but that does not increase their bone structure which is what I want. A large ragdoll.

- because I do not intend to show, breed, etc. I don't really need a "purebred". What made me consider this one, was the price.... this one's price was about double what adoption fee's are here. And the hope that I would get a healthy kitten (unlike the probs I had with Kizzy). I do know that is not guarenteed with a breeder either, and that would be why I was not impressed with her 7day money back health guarentee.

Thanks GK for helping me out, before I made what potentially might have been a spur of the moment mistake. I am taking my time now, and thoroughly investigating before I get "drawn in".

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
More then welcome
I hate for people to be ripped off. We all learn lessons over time (I was ripped off on some of my first purebreds by breeders that were supposed to be good - in the cat fancy).

Nice to know that sometimes new people do actually take advice from those that have been there-done that.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seems like a solid list of reasons... any of which would cause me hesitation as well. Particularly the no spay policy.

Oh, and do spay's really weigh more automatically or does that have as much to do with life style as de-sexing?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well breeding cats have a hard time maintaining weight when in season or when the males are breeding - both don't want to finish their meals - they have other things on their minds....lol

slave2_ragdolls

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My name says it all...
...I am owed by 5 of these gorgeous cats
They are very floppy and mellow animals. My oldest is a 8 year old mitted blue point Ragdoll. The males "average" 5 pounds more than the females in this breed. Ragdolls are full grown at 4 years old. They are generally quiet cats. I say get the cat
Breeders generally do not release a kitten until they are at least 12 weeks old because they are slow developing cats. The males can grow bigger than a Maine Coon......it all depends on the genes of course. 20+ pounds can happen if the parents were big. Good luck with your new kitty
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad you listened to Martrice.
My sister got ripped off by a breeder.
If only my sister had she would not be in the mess she is in now.
That breeder you were going to use sounds bad from what you posted.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I am glad you listened to Martrice.
My sister got ripped off by a breeder.
If only my sister had she would not be in the mess she is in now.
That breeder you were going to use sounds bad from what you posted.
Me too. The more I think about it, the better I believe my choice was. I've had enough trouble with Kizzy, and want a healthy baby. I believe this breeder releases them at 10.5wks, which I feel is a couple weeks too young plus the other warning signs I have seen (and listed above)

I've been looking at different breeders websites, sample contracts, etc. and the one I posted, definately did not have the traits I would like to see in a breeder.

The search continues....