I didn't know Lilies could spread!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lilies are my favorite flower so last year I planted some bulbs around our tree and in a planter. There were 6 in the planter last year...I just realized yesterday that we have 14 plants coming up this year!!
I had NO idea they would multiply! I'm so excited. They are going to be replanted in the ground this fall. The ones around the tree kinda got choked out by ivy so I'm going to put on gloves and try to get that cleaned out, if it ever stops raining.

I can't wait until they bloom though...I'll definitely post pics. Right now, they are only 4-5" high...they didn't bloom last year until they were around 2 ft high. Probably about the middle of June.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You do know lillies are poisonous to cats, dont you?

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lilies are gorgeous! They add such a lovely splash of colour to the garden. Lilies are well known for spreading easily, so space them out and they'll fill in the gaps fairly quickly.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Depending on the type and the weather where you are, Lilies can multiply quite alot.

I love lilies, personally. I planted 20 border lilies 2 years ago and had 58 last year...I'm a little worried about this year.

What type of lilies are they?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lilies are one of the only plants I can't seem to be able to kill.

I have Lily of the Valley along my front flower bed and every year I swear I pull out all the roots but every year they come back in multiples.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Lilies are my favorite flower so last year I planted some bulbs around our tree and in a planter. There were 6 in the planter last year...I just realized yesterday that we have 14 plants coming up this year!!
I had NO idea they would multiply! I'm so excited. They are going to be replanted in the ground this fall. The ones around the tree kinda got choked out by ivy so I'm going to put on gloves and try to get that cleaned out, if it ever stops raining.

I can't wait until they bloom though...I'll definitely post pics. Right now, they are only 4-5" high...they didn't bloom last year until they were around 2 ft high. Probably about the middle of June.
Yup, I have to seperate mine this year, and spread em out more. You should see the mounds I have LOL.

hmmmmmm, maybe people here could do a bulb exchange.

I have plain white, deep burgundy, yellow and a couple other colours of asiatic lilies. I also have some tiger liles, and yellow daylilies. I also have some others but I forget what colour they are LOL. I'll take some pics when they bloom. Their stems are about12-14" now. Some of mine are about 4ft tall when full.
em (and hostas).

I just won't be bringing them inside this year....but that's ok, I can admire them through the window.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ms. Freya

Depending on the type and the weather where you are, Lilies can multiply quite alot.

I love lilies, personally. I planted 20 border lilies 2 years ago and had 58 last year...I'm a little worried about this year.

What type of lilies are they?
Good lord, they spread that much?? Wow! They are mainly oriental lilies...I had 3 stargazer lilies and the rest are just a mixture. One is REALLY gorgeous..a deep red and yellow. We got the bulbs on sale at Lowes so we really just grabbed a bunch and planted them. I usually don't have much luck with plants, but they just took off.

I LOVE tiger lilies! When I was growing up, my Mom had a rock garden and tiger lilies grew on one side. I would love to plant some of them on our slope.

Yes, I do know they are harmful for cats, but they tend to leave them alone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Lilies are one of the only plants I can't seem to be able to kill.

I have Lily of the Valley along my front flower bed and every year I swear I pull out all the roots but every year they come back in multiples.
I think Lily of the Valley is actually a weed, and very hard to get rid of, but they smell great! I've never had any luck at killing "weeds"...we have poke trees growing in our yard and I try pulling them out by the roots but the roots go for miles, I swear! These are more the lilies that I'm growing....

http://www.flowers.vg/flowers/lily.htm

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

I just won't be bringing them inside this year....but that's ok, I can admire them through the window.
I put cut flowers in my reptile room. Even safe ones end up knocked over and shredded because Tomas can't keep his paws off.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love lillies also! My very favorite is a Stargazer lily. It has the most wonderful scent....

I'm totally paranoid about lillies. I strip down in the garage, wipe my hands with Handiwipes, and immediately throw my clothes into the washer. Lillies are extremely nephrotoxic to cats. Just licking the pollen can put a cat into life threatening, or even fatal, renal failure. Every single part of a lilly plant, from the leaves, to the petals, to the pollen, is toxic to cats. Please admire your plants in the garden (no cut flowers in vases), and be careful with your gardening clothes if you work around them.

Okay....off the soap box..... sorry......

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have tons of lilies-asiatic, oriental, orenipent, don't even get me started on daylilies either!!

If one likes Stargazer lilies there is an improved one called Starfighter-even better!!