Athens Zoo!

emeraldsongbird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Athens, GEORGIA, that is.

Of course I love animals. Well, there's this little park by downtown Athens where you can walk through for free, and they have a pretty bare collection but still cool.

We saw three alligators (small ones, which I thought were cute and my mom thought I was crazy), a snapping turtle, a red-eared slider, two black bears (SO CUTE!), a few types of owls, a groundhog (also called a woodchuck which I thought was cool to learn), a bald eagle, a gold eagle, two turkeys, a deer, and last but certainly not least: a bobcat!!! Which you know was my favorite to see, I was so excited, but it was no where to be found!! Cats are good at hiding, I know, but I wanted to see he/she so badly! I can't wait to go back. It was small, but very pleasant. I giggled when I saw the new alligator's name was Dill Pickle, rofl.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, except for the alligators and the slider, it sounds like my back yard!
Seriously, I'm glad you had a great time. Sometimes the local attractions are the best. We have a local zoo here and it sounds pretty similar to yours. I think small zoos are sometimes better because there are more people to take care of fewer animals, and they are more in their natural enviornment. I love seeing the camels but they can't possibly be happy in the eastern states in winter.

Did you get any pics to share?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emeraldsongbird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with you!

I didn't get any pics this time, but I will next time. Hopefully I will get to see all the animals a bit closer the next time I go.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EmeraldSongbird

last but certainly not least: a bobcat!!! Which you know was my favorite to see, I was so excited, but it was no where to be found!! Cats are good at hiding, I know, but I wanted to see he/she so badly! I can't wait to go back. It was small, but very pleasant. I giggled when I saw the new alligator's name was Dill Pickle, rofl.
I'm sorry you didn't get to see the bobcat. The best time to see him/her would be early in the morning when it is cooler or later in the evening, depending how late the zoo is open. You can always click on the link under my siggy to see lots of pictures of our bobcats. Not the same as seeing them in person, but you can get your fix there

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emeraldsongbird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
yes I LOVE and adore your bobcat pictures, I think we've spoke before on how you've inspired me! Maybe one day I'll get a small wild cat like a bobcat. Then again, I just realized in defeat, Georgia doesn't allow hedgehogs, much less big exotics like that! Maybe my dad could help me out with that since he works at the university.....